Proposal: Should Drew be our Captain?

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Jah bless Drew Doughty and his lack of verbal filter. I think he was still wearing the emotions from getting embarrassed by Colorado in the preceding 48 hours. He had an interesting season. He took it upon himself to be more in control of behavior with the refs when call’s didn’t go his way. And he played with more urgency on the offensive side while also busting his ass on defense when the games were close. And since he has the fifth highest cap hit in the league, his production was okay at 17th in scoring by defenseman, just 1 point in front of AMart. But still better than Erik Karlson, so there’s that.

He said the obvious out loud stating there is no point in waiting for prospects to develop while you have two of the best players in the league at their positions. It’s also the reason he won’t be captain. It’s always a bad look when the highest paid player on one of the worst teams in the league demands that management spends more money in the offseason.

The one word answer of “No” when asked about being happy if big moves aren’t made before next training camp doesn’t leave much wiggle room. Blake’s foremost media apologist, the Mayor, was saying as of a few weeks ago that he wouldn’t be disappointed if no big move was made in the offseason. He said that next years trade deadline was the timeline he thinks Blake has to make his biggest trade to date. It’s clear that Doughty has no patience for that approach.

Real dilemma for Blake here. His only personal legacy to date as a GM is being tops in the league at kicking the can down the road when it comes to pressure situations. He is an expert at waiting for things to happen before making his own moves. It took years before he actually conducted a coaching search and he ends up landing Coach Todd as his prize catch and pays him like he has the track record of Quenville or Babcock.

Now Doughty has thrown down the gauntlet and set expectations among the fan base for next season’s opening roster. This is shaping up to be a very scrutinized couple of months for BLuc. Every move made by another team that turns out well could be used to point fingers back at management. The Kings have every resource available, so a good chunk of fans won’t have time for excuses about trades being hard to make or UFAs not wanting to come to LA for personal or team reasons.

I think Blake makes his Roenick move this summer. My prediction is he sends this years first and Vilardi to Calgary for Johnny Hockey. Whatever happens, I guarantee Drew’s mood picks up this summer when he gets his $4M lump sum salary bonus.

Blake does nothing this summer, but collect more young players as assets. Doughty isn't happy about it and demands a trade. Sometime around the trade deadline Doughty is traded to Calgary for Matthew Tkachuk and Jhnny Hockey. Mayor's prediction comes true.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Didn't Bernstein ask Blake what he is going to do with the free cap space this off season. Blake's answer "Try to make the team better". So if he doesn't should we not all be disappointed? Yet we throw Drew under the bus for being honest.
Sure Doughty is honest and that's nice, but he's just wrong about what it best for the franchise.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Sure Doughty is honest and that's nice, but he's just wrong about what it best for the franchise.

So Blake is wrong too? He clearly said he will use the cap space to improve the team. Can't wait forever for prospects, they have a product to sell and right now it's spoiled. Like TMAc said other players will pass you if you still don't get it. Too many fillers in this team we need support vets to bridge the gap.

Anyone can draft a great player on paper but until they make the transition to the professional rank, it is, as Jerry Maguire famously said, “like popcorn in a pan: Some pop, some don't. "

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
So Blake is wrong too? He clearly said he will use the cap space to improve the team. Can't wait forever for prospects, they have a product to sell and right now it's spoiled. Like TMAc said other players will pass you if you still don't get it. Too many fillers in this team we need support vets to bridge the gap.

Anyone can draft a great player on paper but until they make the transition to the professional rank, it is, as Jerry Maguire famously said, “like popcorn in a pan: Some pop, some don't. "
Blake has done the easy part. If he wants to go out and find a couple of character vets at a low cost, either in trade or UFA, for the kids to play with, then great.

Doughty wants high-end players brought in now, either by overpaying for UFAs, or trading young assets. That would be a mistake.

It all goes back to the mistake, or aka the load of BS, sold by Blake and Robitaille to AEG that this team was still a cup contender in 2017.

You don't trade your seed corn. In a couple of years, if he is still around, Blake will have some tough decisions to make regarding his prospect pool on who stays and who goes in order to get the missing pieces.

Mats26

Sep 16, 2005
Blake has done the easy part. If he wants to go out and find a couple of character vets at a low cost, either in trade or UFA, for the kids to play with, then great.

Doughty wants high-end players brought in now, either by overpaying for UFAs, or trading young assets. That would be a mistake.

It all goes back to the mistake, or aka the load of BS, sold by Blake and Robitaille to AEG that this team was still a cup contender in 2017.

You don't trade your seed corn. In a couple of years, if he is still around, Blake will have some tough decisions to make regarding his prospect pool on who stays and who goes in order to get the missing pieces.

That's not what he said though. He simply answered NO to a question "if no significant moves are made for next season will you be happy"? He didn't ask for high end players or to over pay UFAs. He said that was Blake's job to improve the team and he was right.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
That's not what he said though. He simply answered NO to a question "if no significant moves are made for next season will you be happy"? He didn't ask for high end players or to over pay UFAs. He said that was Blake's job to improve the team and he was right.

He wants significant moves. Are you saying bringing in a high end player isn't a significant move? Or that he'll be happy if a scrub is signed?

Reactions: kinghock

Mats26

Sep 16, 2005
He wants significant moves. Are you saying bringing in a high end player isn't a significant move? Or that he'll be happy if a scrub is signed?

The team needs to replace leadership lost from trading Pearson, Toffoli, Muzzin, Carter, Clifford, Lewis, Martinez, Browns' (last year). + Some prospects won't pan out, we need to prepare for that. Without saying it I think he is fed up of babysitting, I mean how long do we wait for a decent top LD. We haven't even replaced Voynov let alone the players above.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
The team needs to replace leadership lost from trading Pearson, Toffoli, Muzzin, Carter, Clifford, Lewis, Martinez, Browns' (last year). + Some prospects won't pan out, we need to prepare for that. Without saying it I think he is fed up of babysitting, I mean how long do we wait for a decent top LD. We haven't even replaced Voynov let alone the players above.

According to Doughty, he wants to keep playing with Anderson. He also is happy with the D corps, so who is he babysitting?

Toffoli and Pearson had 4/5 years AFTER winning the cup to be leaders and take ownership. They always needed a vet in Carter to insulate them.

It's very clear Doughty wants prospects traded or Blake to use cap space to overpay for a major impact player. That's why he brought it up.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Define for me in your mind a significant move in the off season.

I am not a mind reader, but I think I have a pretty good idea about what Doughty would consider a significant move.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
According to Doughty, he wants to keep playing with Anderson. He also is happy with the D corps, so who is he babysitting?

Toffoli and Pearson had 4/5 years AFTER winning the cup to be leaders and take ownership. They always needed a vet in Carter to insulate them.

It's very clear Doughty wants prospects traded or Blake to use cap space to overpay for a major impact player. That's why he brought it up.
To reiterate your well made point:

According to Doughty, Forbort was a great partner as well, as was Bjornfot.

I guess Drew speaks his mind, but he can't seem to correctly assess the talent or NHL-readiness of those playing along side of him.

Mats26

Sep 16, 2005

He always says his partners are good, remember the praise he gave to Forbort? Yet Blake traded him. Again it's the GM job to better the team regardless of what Drew says. What is Drew going to say, Forbort sucks give me a better D partner..lol

Last edited:

Mats26

Sep 16, 2005
Define for me in your mind a significant move in the off season.

I am not a mind reader, but I think I have a pretty good idea about what Doughty would consider a significant move.

I am on the fence with Eichel. That injury is too risky without proper rehab and if it's surgery good luck, it's never been done on a hockey player before.
For me signing a big D man is significant, I don't agree with Drew here that our D core is good enough.

So:

Doughty plays his best when he gets pushed a little, I am all in for Hamilton, then move Walker + for a LD or top line winger.
For me Doughty-Hamilton-Roy is set until Faber, Grans are ready to push for a spot.

Sign Vets like Hyman, Foligno for leadership or Savard, Olesiak to keep MacD off the roster.
Look into a trade for Will Butcher or SamReinhart.

Remove, Wagner, Luff, Lizotte and McD for roster spots.

I don't think that would cost any major prospect and will show the fans the team is trying to turn the corner. If we don't get 2-3 new players that are NHL caliber and ready to provide leadership, drive and skill then the message is clear. We are tanking for the next 2-3 years until the propsects take over. At that point why not trade Kopitar and Doughty if you can.

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
Just a friendly reminder that the players are required to sit through these end of season exit interviews and answer the questions they're asked.

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ

Blake is not wrong. He did not want create controversy with Doughty.
To use cap space to improve team has a lot of different meanings…

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad