Should Doug Armstrong get fired if he can't get re-sign Pietrangelo?

Should Doug Armstrong get fired if he can't re-sign Pietrangelo?

• Total voters

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
What you guys think of this? If Army fail to re-sign your captain who bring first Cup in the franchise? No matter what has happened.

If we lose Pietro this means our Cup window closing. Hell no Parayko, Faulk, Scandella, Dunn, Bortuzzo and Gunnar doesn't fit category of Cup contender d-core.

Please don't bash.

Ridge1982

Nov 4, 2019
Yes. You don’t squander a once in a lifetime opportunity to win multiple championships due to penny pinching.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Of course not.

We’ll roughly find out the numbers involved and we can draw our own conclusions based on that, but Armstrong will have an opportunity to take us forward.

I have a very pessimistic view on what happens if Pietrangelo leaves. I think there will be major changes within a couple of years, and that coincides with the end of Armstrong’s contract. I could see a change at that point, but not before.

Reactions: 67Blues

RandallRitchey

Formerly the Bergy Gif guy on Twitter
Jan 26, 2008
St. Louis
www.stlouisgametime.com
Absolutely not. This man built us a team that finally won us a cup. If Pietrangelo leaves, it could be for a slew of reasons. He wanting to be closer to home due to the messed up world we live in. He could price himself out, not a result of penny pinching. There could be multiple reasons he leaves, and I've said before the only way I'd be mad about him leaving, would be if he signed with a contender in the west for less than like 8.5M, which is very much a number we could match. I still don't think Army should be fired due to it, but that's about the only way I'd be mad.

Reactions: mk80 and Blueston

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Absolutely not. For all we know Pietrangelo is hell-bent on a contract is 8-digits annually; or decided long-ago that he was testing free-agency no matter what.

It does set up an interesting opportunity for the club to "re-load", and have a 'down-year' in a season where fan attendance will be reduced. With Tarasenko out and Pietrangelo gone maybe you consider trading Schwartz and throwing Kyrou, Sanford, Blais, Thomas & Kostin into the deep-end of the pool and see what you've got. And if you end up outside of the playoffs, perhaps you are able to draft one of the stud defenders in next-year's draft class and ultimately have your Pietrangelo-replacement in house...for three years from now; as ROR and Tank's contracts end. There are quite a few #1D-men in next year's draft, if you believe this ranking: Wheeler: Preseason ranking for the 2021 NHL Draft's top 32 prospects

Reactions: mk80

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Absolutely not. We have no idea what is going on in these negotiations. I find it a bit telling that the only thing we seem to be hearing consistently is a lack of talks. That smells more like the desire of an agent (and/or player) to get their number or hit the open market than it does a GM refusing to maintain discussions with such a critical part of his team. We'll know for sure in the coming weeks, but it sure seems to me that Petro is more Tavares than Stamkos at this point, especially if he ends up in Toronto.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
No. His biggest accomplishment of bringing home STL our first Cup bought him a pass on this, especially when we find out the behind the scene details. He'll set us up for the coming rebuild in 2025 and hopefully it will be a short one if he plays his cards properly.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I don't buy the line of thinking that just because he won a cup he is absolved of any blame. Again, I don't think he should be fired due to this because overall he is in the top 5-10 GMs in the league and I don't take that for granted. But he painted himself into this corner with the Faulk trade and extension. And if that ends up being the difference between keeping Pietrangelo or not, his feet should rightly be held to the fire for it. COVID or not Faulk wasn't worth that contract and it was a wholly unnecessary move, particularly within the context of Pietrangelo's looming UFA status.

Last edited:

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I don’t think anyone can definitively say he should be fired without knowing what we offered and what he accepted. Even then, I am not sure you fire the guy.

It may be that we don’t renew his contract in two years, but you probably don’t want to fire a GM that just built a Cup winning team. It’s a sure fire way to have candidate GMs question if they want to work for you.

Last edited:

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
No way, in our crazy COVID-19 world there could be mountains of different reasons why he decides to leave. Closer to family, financial stability, lowered internal cap, he just doesn't want to be here, Ect.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
No, he shouldn't be fired. He is one of the Top 5-7 GMs in a 32-team league. He brought this team a Stanley Cup winning season. I'm sure that if Pietrangelo leaves, it won't be because Armstrong didn't offer enough money.

Reactions: SwivelSchwartz

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Definitely should not be fired. If Pietragnelo ends up not signing it might not even be something in Armstrong's control.
Pietro has quote that he want to stay in Blues, St. Louis.

You can say how everything has folded all depends what is money and term. Army has everything on his control. He has to make moves to release cap space for Pietro.

No, he shouldn't be fired. He is one of the Top 5-7 GMs in a 32-team league. He brought this team a Stanley Cup winning season. I'm sure that if Pietrangelo leaves, it won't be because Armstrong didn't offer enough money.

Well Pietro has said he wants to stay in Blues.

Yes, but can't you afford to lose over 13-year for just for not giving enough money.

I could take a bet there won't be another Pietrangelo in Blues in next 2-3 decades. If you hardball captain who bring first Cup to franchise you aren't right guy in GM job. Yes Army build Stanley Cup team well, few of them wasn't drafted by him. Kekäläinen build foundation to this Cup winning team. I'll give Army respect of couple big moves, like Schenn and ROR.

Reactions: Lurch and Ridge1982

Ridge1982

Nov 4, 2019
Here we go
It's been a little disappointing that (the St. Louis Blues and I) haven't been able to get a deal done, obviously," Pietrangelo said, according to The Athletic's Pierre LeBrun. "But this is the situation that we're in, we're over three weeks away from Oct. 9 (the beginning of free agency). ... There hasn't been much in terms of progress."
The 30-year-old signed a seven-year deal with the Blues in 2013 and has spent his entire career with the club that drafted him fourth overall in 2008. He's served as St. Louis' captain for four seasons.
Pietrangelo will be one of the biggest names in free agency if he hits the open market. He expressed his desire to stay in St. Louis but understands it may be difficult for the team to make room for him with just over $5 million in cap space this season.
"Yeah, I mean, there's players who have been in one spot their whole career but they change cities," Pietrangelo said. "I've been in the business a long time. I've been around. I've seen a lot of different things. I think you have to be willing to accept the fact that there may be a change one day. Whether it happens or not, it certainly changes your mindset and makes things a little easier if you ever get to that point."
He added: "My wife's family is here. We're really close to her family and my family is close with her family. But again, by the same token, it's a short period of time of your life in terms of trying to play the game. You just want to make the right choice for your family and do what's right."
Pietrangelo: Lack of deal with Blues 'a little disappointing'

Reactions: Ranksu

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Yes. You don’t squander a once in a lifetime opportunity to win multiple championships due to penny pinching.

Unless you are involved or have details about the negotiation, you don't get to call it penny-pinching. No one knows what Petro is asking for specifically and no one knows what Army is offering...

Reactions: 67Blues

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Unless you are involved or have details about the negotiation, you don't get to call it penny-pinching. No one knows what Petro is asking for specifically and no one knows what Army is offering...
Exactly. We have no idea what is being asked or given. Petro could want huge SB money, he may want a NMC for the entire duration, he may want things that the team just can't provide.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
I've seen enough GM's to know that firing Doug Armstrong would be an incredibly foolish move no matter how it works out with Petro but I completely understand people being pissed off enough to suggest it. See here's the thing, I'd want Doug guiding our post Petro route if that's how it ends up going even if he did play a role in Petro leaving.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Coming from someone who has been a heavy Armstrong critic, his latest moves have tempered that along with the Cup run of course, but I don't think firing him over Petro would be wise.

As others have said, there are plenty of variables in play with this situation that could result in Petro signing elsewhere. Some are on the team, and Armstrong's side, but others are up to Petro and his agents, family, personal decisions, world events, etc.

If we find he walked over a simple offer or something that could easily been met, we should certainly hold Armstrong accountable as we should any other deals. Winning a Cup should not cloud our judgement completely. But whether Petro stays or goes, it's best to at least let Armstrong ride out the rest of his contract for a few more seasons and see what he does to continue building the team, maybe subsequent moves win us another Cup anyway. Either way his contract is only 3-4 seasons more, so I say unless he goes and starts selling the farm to put us in the basement I would just evaluate making a change or not when his contract is up.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I don't believe Armstrong should be fired if Pietrangelo walks. There are too many factors in play that he has no control over, so it would not be fair. He has been a good GM overall during his tenure here and has made more good transactions than bad. He also brought the SC to St, Louis, and while this does not mean he gets a free pass for his mistakes, it definitely has to be taken into consideration.

Reactions: Blueston

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad