Should Czarnik be in for Dube?

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
Hi guys, it's been a long while since I've made a thread here. You can look it up, how long it's been -- I'm sure the numbers don't lie.

I'm not gonna say much here other than I haven't been super inspired by the play of Dillon Dube this season, whereas I've seen a lot more jump from Austin Czarnik. What are your guys' thoughts on who should be getting into the lineup?

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Dube should have been in the AHL after the first couple games when he had shown he wasn't aware enough for his own safety. All that is happening right now is the Flames are eroding his confidence and impairing his development from lack of meaningful ice time.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Dube should be sent down, at this point it would be better for him to play 20 minutes a night down in th AHL I think over the 6-8 he's getting in the NHL .

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

It seems pretty obvious he should be sent down. Czarnik's been better and doesn't get crushed every game.

Some time as a top line player in Stockton would do wonders. Call up Quine, Graovoc or Klimchuk; any of those would be good pressbox/spot duty on the fourth line guys.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Dube should be sent down. The kid is playing well but at this stage in his career he needs more ice time than he's getting in Calgary. Bring Peluso back up as the 13th forward.

Reactions: SKRusty and Nanuuk

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I think Tre said last year (or maybe it was Gully) that part of the development strategy for young kids was to give them 20 games or so in the NHL and then send them down where they would (hopefully) play with the confidence they've gained in the show. Then when you do call them back up they're ready to be a full timer.

Reactions: Gumbyman2

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Dube has shown skills of a top 6 player.

Flames need to send him down to get top line minutes and use to scoring.

If they don't, they'd turn him into self doubt like Sam Bennett or worse yet, a plug like Hathaway.

Gumbyman2

Sep 12, 2018
Send the kid down before we ruin his confidence. He’s shown he can be a player for us, but it isn’t happening this year.

Agree on he was given some introduction and experience and a "chance", albeit minimal minutes overall. Dube is a future "driver-of-his-line" type potential player for the Flames. Best he save the year for more productive opportunites first year pro, in Stockton, taking on a more full role and responsibility. Thus, more opportunity to let his skills shine and grow in the pro-game. No shame or dissappointment (other than I am sure he would prefer to remain in the NHL) to be had. Let him continue to grow in a better opportunity and light, for now. Future is bright if they don't "Sam Bennett" him.

Reactions: tmurfin

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I think they'll give him until the game on Friday; on the weekend he'll be in Stockton.
When a guy earns a spot in camp like Dube did, and who's not going to burn a year of contract, you give him some runway. He's been a good little player for us, regardless of limited production.

But yeah, having Czarnik sitting in the pressbox is a luxury. I think he should definitely be in over Dube at this point. We gave this guy a decent 2 year 1-way deal; he shouldn't sit in the presser. I thought he was a solid player for us whenever he was in.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
So assuming that Dube gets assigned to Stockton, what are we looking at for line combos? Obviously Peters isn't going to screw with the first two lines.
These were the Vegas game line combos:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Backlund-Bennett
Frolik-Ryan-Neal
Dube-Jankowski-Hathaway

Will Peters have Czarnik slide into Dube's spot on the Janko line?

Or will he mix the lines up to get Czarnik over on the right side?
Something like this:

Neal-Ryan-Czarnik
Frolik-Jankowski-Hathaway

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Whatever Peters does he needs to have someone creative play with Neal and Czarnik is a C.

How about

Frolik/Czarnik/Neal
Hathaway/Jankowski/Ryan

Or more likely

Frolik/Ryan/Neal
Hathaway/Jankowski/Czarnik

I'm more in favour of playing Czarnik on the 3rd line and Ryan on the 4th line although the more I look at your line-up the more is grows on me. Whatever line Peters comes up with I hope its a more or less permanent one for Neal. To get him going he has to keep playing with the same guys.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I'd like to see Neal moved to the left side just to give him a different look. Its obvious that playing on the RW isn't working.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad