Should Bennett get a crack at the Top 6? (Or give up...?)

Laggin70

Apr 22, 2013
Pittsburgh
Even if we were to hypothetically trade him, I guarantee he has limited value. No NHL GM's get excited about acquiring a young player with a proven track record of constantly getting injured.

I get that, that was knee jerk on my part.
I would rather have kept Gibbons that could be on the ice 80-90% then Bennett 40-50%.
Ironically Gibbons is hurt so...

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I'm not preparing myself for anything. What's your source that Dumoulin is the most likely to get dealt? I'll answer that for you: you have no source, and you're making up crap.

You obviously don't value Dumoulin as much as other guys, which is fine; but you're going further with that (il)logic and just assuming that, based on your opinion and nothing from any credible evidence, Dumoulin is going to get dealt and/or should get dealt. So really you're suggesting, if we evaluate this from a point of logic:

A: Dumoulin is the most likely to get dealt because you think he's not that valuable to us, yet also not so valuable to other teams

B: implying that because we MUST make a trade, that Dumoulin will obviously be the guy who gets moved; even though by your own admission you think he has low value and so the return will be weak

C: that even if we only get a lousy return, we should still make that deal because we have to make a trade

Really good thought process. I'm curious to know how you think trading Dumoulin, for what you think will be a lousy return, will improve our team.

I think he'll be dealt b/c we're stacked on defense, he's not playing in the NHL and we have better D-men than him playing in the minors as well. Harrington was the first guy called up this season, not Dumoulin. And DP is our top prospect.

I'm not doubting Dumoulin can play for a long time in this league, but is there a spot for him here next year? Longterm? I don't see it.

I'd bet one of Despres/Dumo are gone by the deadline and seeing how Despres is filling a role on our team very well, I'd keep Despres.

This is a Bennett thread though. I'll leave it at that.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I didn't say that much lesser. Just kidding.

But

At least Craig Adams provides a tangible asset to the team.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

The Adams bird is dead and rotting, no one should be touching it. It's somehow a negative asset that won't go away because it's a 35+ contract that won't get injured.

Trading Bennett with his value this low is stupid, not re-signing a RFA 1st rounder is stupid. Christ. He's not expensive, his injuries tend to be LTIR length and the injuries tend to be luck related.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I think he'll be dealt b/c we're stacked on defense, he's not playing in the NHL and we have better D-men than him playing in the minors as well. Harrington was the first guy called up this season, not Dumoulin. And DP is our top prospect.

I'm not doubting Dumoulin can play for a long time in this league, but is there a spot for him here next year? Longterm? I don't see it.

I'd bet one of Despres/Dumo are gone by the deadline and seeing how Despres is filling a role on our team very well, I'd keep Despres.

If we trade Pouliot, then we absolutely have space for Dumoulin long term. We have seven really good young Dmen including Letang & Maatta, and six spots. If Pouliot goes, we have room for all the others. The same can be said about all the other guys. We just have to trade 1 of those guys. I don't want to trade more than one of those guys if we can avoid it. I'd rather trade the 6'1 UFA Martin, then the 6'4 cheap-to-re-sign "could be here 10-15 years" Dumoulin (or any of our other prospects).

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Bennett is totally unreliable. The other day I asked him to get milk for me, and the ****er stayed up all night playing CoD. Finally, 3 days later, he went and bought some bottled water. I guess he thought I asked for skim milk. Last time I rely on him to do a menial task.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
For what purpose? The OP is saying we should either just trade Bennett for whatever scraps we can get for him or, failing that, just not even re-sign and let him become a UFA. If the that isn't the worst idea I've heard, I don't know what is.

Because it's an existing thread with the topic being Bennett, including a poll, which has the option of 'Other (specify)'. Seems to me 'send him packing' would be 'Other (specify)'. While I do agree the OP's suggestion is ... bad ... do we really need another BB thread?

Last edited:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Bennett is totally unreliable. The other day I asked him to get milk for me, and the ****er stayed up all night playing CoD. Finally, 3 days later, he went and bought some bottled water. I guess he thought I asked for skim milk. Last time I rely on him to do a menial task.

Some of us enjoy skim milk, fatty.

Boocock

Feb 3, 2007
Okay don't trade him, but I don't think they should resign. He will sign for low money but let someone else do it.
The Pens should be able to re-sign him to a two-year, $900k per year contract a la Despres because of the very injuries you're referring to here. If you think that contract would hurt the team, then I don't know what to tell you.

He is a RFA. Don't even tender him an offer.

How long do we sit along the wall waiting for him to dance?

He can't stay healthy. I would rather have a "lesser" potential/talented player that isn't as brittle.
His injuries are not related to one another. Refusing to tender an RFA would be a bad decision. A team in our division would sign Bennett and he'd probably go on to tear us apart. That's terrible asset management.

Potential is great when it's reliazed. If this was a blip I wouldn't say anything. It's been since he was first called up. I don't know if he has stayed healthy enough to play longer than three weeks in a row without getting injured.
That's really not his fault.

I didn't say that much lesser. Just kidding.

But

At least Craig Adams provides a tangible asset to the team.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
Just so you know, Craig Adams will never hold the combined regular season and playoff consecutive games streak because Bylsma benched him in 2012. I know he's your favorite player, but his greatest attribute is nothing more than a lie.

Regardless, if you think the team should sign more guys like Craig Adams and let Bennett go for $900k, then I don't know what to tell you.

No we can have BB do that since he's "hurt" again and again and again.....
Do you know what LTIR is?

Michael8771*

No we can have BB do that since he's "hurt" again and again and again.....
I appreciate your level of frustration with this guy. But with his minimal value, and as unreliable as he appears to be, it's better to just hold onto him and hope these ''freak'' occurrences have run their course.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Shows a ton of potential "when healthy".

When he gets healthy trade him. Won't get much for him but whatever.

Thoughts?

If we won't get much for him, why trade him? That seems pretty counter productive when we're begging for skilled wingers with some size. I wouldn't at this point in time call him untouchable, but neither would I dump him for picks/prospects.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
bennett for christmas 93, disappointment (bennett) for disappointment (me not getting a professional quality ping pong table)

Boocock

Feb 3, 2007
bennett for christmas 93, disappointment (bennett) for disappointment (me not getting a professional quality ping pong table)
Exactly. Bennett's not bringing in a Nintendo 64 guys. He'd yield an Atari Jaguar. Pass.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
He is a RFA. Don't even tender him an offer.

How long do we sit along the wall waiting for him to dance?

He can't stay healthy. I would rather have a "lesser" potential/talented player that isn't as brittle.

Yes, but that's not an option. What you're suggesting is we dump him for some crap (that we hope is healthier), or let him walk for free. There's absolutely no logical reason to do that. Pittsburgh doesn't have a cash issue (so can handle him on LTIR when/if it happens), they have no pressing need to dump contracts, they have a lack of young top 6 talent and they have no one to replace him at this point in time.

Is it frustrating? Absolutely. And if we had a bunch of winger depth (say like Anaheim, Ottawa, Detroit, Minny, Stl, etc) then including him on a trade to get something in return wouldn't be a big deal... but we don't. And unless we include him as part of a trade for a top level player... there's much more value to Pittsburgh in just keeping him, and hoping that he can get his **** together and stay healthy.

Laggin70

Apr 22, 2013
Pittsburgh
The Pens should be able to re-sign him to a two-year, $900k per year contract a la Despres because of the very injuries you're referring to here. If you think that contract would hurt the team, then I don't know what to tell you.

His injuries are not related to one another. Refusing to tender an RFA would be a bad decision. A team in our division would sign Bennett and he'd probably go on to tear us apart. That's terrible asset management.

That's really not his fault.

Just so you know, Craig Adams will never hold the combined regular season and playoff consecutive games streak because Bylsma benched him in 2012. I know he's your favorite player, but his greatest attribute is nothing more than a lie.

Regardless, if you think the team should sign more guys like Craig Adams and let Bennett go for $900k, then I don't know what to tell you.

Do you know what LTIR is?

I must of misrepresented myself. I can't stand Craig Adams, it drives me crazy we can't find a younger guy to do what he does.

But

He is a part on a pretty good pk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad