Should Barkov have a new nickname or not?

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
In the Russian language all Alexanders are nicknamed Sasha. Its not really a nickname more so a standard custom. Hence the reason why you see articles with the name Sasha Barkov when referring to him.

Thank god I never heard anyone call Mogilny, Sasha Mogilny:laugh:

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
I think in Finland his nickname is Parkkovi but in my opinnion it is pretty lame.

Zeitung

Jan 16, 2013
His name is Aleksander not Alexander.
Too hard?
I'd like to see him play with Joonatan Hyyperdau. :(

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I don't know if it's too corny but maybe the "SS Barkov"?

The S.S can stand for the metaphor that he's a battleship out there. The kid has amazing defensive capabilities but can also be highly offensive as well. I hope he can play for Team Finland and gain even more experience against the world's best. A 18 year old playing like a 10 year vet out there is a fun thing to watch for years to come.

Last edited:

EverybodyLovesRay

Sep 21, 2008
So, what are you saying? Barkov likes to be called Sasha but that's something altogether general in Russian practice: Alex is called Sasha in Russian. Sasha Semin for example. -- And Sasha Barkov.

But Alex Ovechkin's nickname is NOT Sasha but Ovie.

So, could Barkov have some BRAND NEW nickname on this board for the sake of it? It's always nice to invent new nicks. What do you suggest?

Barkov's been called Barky but is that a good enough nick for him? I mean, Barky - it has nice ring to it, no doubt but isn't it a bit too --"downgrading"? Barky...

Well, in any case - maybe one should add a poll section to this: Do you prefer calling Barkov: a) Barky, b) Sasha or c) SOMETHING ELSE - and what in that case??

you are trying too much..

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
I've said it before, and I'll say it again:
The Barkov we saw in the first half of the season is gone.
The adjustment period is already over.

He took care of the defensive side of his game first, and then he focused on his face offs, but now he's focusing on exerting himself offensively and he's becoming a ppg player who adds more creativity to the offense than anyone else on the ice.

He's beginning to show why he was picked over all the sexy Canadian and American picks.

But do You know why he was chosen above them?

I'll tell you why...

Because he's the Finnisher.

Aleksander the Finnisher

I propose we all to refer to King Barkov as Aleksander the Finnisher.

Ps, does anyone else bark when he scores? It's absolutely fabulous.

I dream of the day the stadium does it.

Last edited:

thomast

Oct 23, 2009

He took care of the defensive side of his game first, and then he focused on his face offs, but now he's focusing on exerting himself offensively and he's becoming a ppg player who adds more creativity to the offense than anyone else on the ice.

He's beginning to show why he was picked over all the sexy Canadian and American picks.

I'll tell you why...

Aleksander the Finnisher

His developement looks similar to his developement in FEL as 16-17 year old. At 16 he focused on the complete game and wanted to play in all three zones effectively. After his rookie season he added more offense and managed to raise his 0.5PPG to around PPG with even more complete game.

I don't think that Barkov lifts his offense as much he did in FEL but i think that he is good for 60points next year with decent linemates. Barkov could easily have 5-10 more points this year if his linemates could match his hockeyIQ and be more ready for his passes. But the best thing is that Barkov already faces the toughest competition and defensemen in every game. His minutes are not limited or protected. 2 points behind the panthers leading scorer being great defensively as a 18 year old is pretty impressive? I think that it is matter of time when Barkov is a perennial selke nominee he's that good.

Kearns

Too good to be true, no?
Jun 7, 2008
Kamloops, BC
This is kind of a fun thread - I agree that nic names are spontaneous - it'll be his teamates that slap one on that sticks.

If I had it my way Barkov would be known as "Big Dog." He doesn't say much, but he is always there to save your ass.

My two bits.

Last edited:

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
its going to be something obvious like Aleksander the Great, referring he is the "biggest Alex" in the league

Last edited:

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL

I'll tell you why...

Aleksander the Finnisher

2017 Winter Classic at Sun Life?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad