Should Barkov have a new nickname or not?

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
So, what are you saying? Barkov likes to be called Sasha but that's something altogether general in Russian practice: Alex is called Sasha in Russian. Sasha Semin for example. -- And Sasha Barkov.

But Alex Ovechkin's nickname is NOT Sasha but Ovie.

So, could Barkov have some BRAND NEW nickname on this board for the sake of it? It's always nice to invent new nicks. What do you suggest?

Barkov's been called Barky but is that a good enough nick for him? I mean, Barky - it has nice ring to it, no doubt but isn't it a bit too --"downgrading"? Barky...

Well, in any case - maybe one should add a poll section to this: Do you prefer calling Barkov: a) Barky, b) Sasha or c) SOMETHING ELSE - and what in that case??

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
I just like to call him Barky.

Doesn't matter what we call him, because nothing will ever top Juggernaut as best nickname on the team.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Ovechkin has been called Sasha, Ovi, Sanja, great 8. (Sanja is another name for Alexander, Semin was Sasha Ovi was Sanja anyway.)

No doubt. But I am trying to find THAT nickname for Barkov to be used on this board if not more widely...

CoolburnIsGone

I just like to call him Barky.

Doesn't matter what we call him, because nothing will ever top Juggernaut as best nickname on the team.
True but maybe you can go with an X-Men theme and give him the "Beast" nickname ;)

Next season that should be our avatar theme too....X-Men characters for each of the players.

Panthers Rock

Rebuild 10.0
Apr 17, 2006
Winter Springs, FL
True but maybe you can go with an X-Men theme and give him the "Beast" nickname ;)

Next season that should be our avatar theme too....X-Men characters for each of the players.

Here we go:

Weaver = Weaverine - Perfect for the short, Canadian guy who good at what he does best.

Fleischmann = Quicksilver - Nickname is Flash so that's the X-Men equivalent.

Campbell = Banshee - Just cause they're both redheads :)

etc.

CoolburnIsGone

Here we go:

Weaver = Weaverine - Perfect for the short, Canadian guy who good at what he does best.

Fleischmann = Quicksilver - Nickname is Flash so that's the X-Men equivalent.

Campbell = Banshee - Just cause they're both redheads :)

etc.
Yup definitely thinking along these lines...we already have Bjugstad = Juggernaut and now, Barkov = Beast

I was also thinking:

Gudbranson = Colossus (big, physically imposing)

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Sasha seems fine. He seems to prefer either Sasha or Aleksander according to interviews.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Why do we always try to force nicknames for players and lines (giving lines nicknames is especially stupid)? Nicknames are not created in a brainstorming session, they're produced organically.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
Why do we always try to force nicknames for players and lines (giving lines nicknames is especially stupid)? Nicknames are not created in a brainstorming session, they're produced organically.

i agree with this, but im sure that goldie or billy will say something completely ridiculous that will stick

i vote for teenage dream

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
after we drafted him they interviewed him and for some reason the jurassic park theme was playing in the background, so I've been calling him Jurassic Bark :laugh:

LUUUUUIS

Nov 2, 2011
Florida

i agree with this, but im sure that goldie or billy will say something completely ridiculous that will stick

i vote for teenage dream

I agree with all this. Nicknames are a thing that just happens. Teammates seem to call him Barky.

That being said... my vote is also for Teenage Dream.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
I say just wait till Billy or Goldstein comes up with something stupid :)

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Ovechkin has been called Sasha, Ovi, Sanja, great 8. (Sanja is another name for Alexander, Semin was Sasha Ovi was Sanja anyway.)

In the Russian language all Alexanders are nicknamed Sasha. Its not really a nickname more so a standard custom. Hence the reason why you see articles with the name Sasha Barkov when referring to him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad