Should Alex Semin be the captain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
A normal min salary player scores around 20 pts a season? So an 80 point player should be worth about 2 or 3 million. JR got duped something fierce!

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
That's not true, and I was assuming postgame anyway. Not some pointless stock response midgame. And I was being sarcastic, since I'm well aware Semin does no interviews at any juncture.

I'm pretty sure no one actually is lobbying for Semin to be the captain.

In any event, I wanted to expand on my previous response. Dollars per production (PPG) goes as follows:

Ruutu
Eric
Jordan
Semin
Skinner
Tlusty
Dwyer
Bowman
Malhotra
Lindholm
Nash
Gerbe

I bold Tlusty because any realistic raise (400k+) puts him ahead of Skinner in terms of dollars per production. Yeah, raw dollars matter too, but if you're not producing, you're a waste at any price. Not long ago, Skinner's contract was seen as exorbitantly high, and trade proposals were thrown out all over the place with him as a centerpiece. Some were to exchange him for defense, and some were mostly to clear payroll. But if Tlusty doesn't bounce back, he'll be a pretty big black hole himself. How much is too much for what he brings? If he's looking for 2.5M+ and can't top 30 points, how do you justify keeping him around? I contend that Boychuk probably wouldn't have been much of a difference the way both are playing this year, and he'd come at a fraction of the cost. Really, fill in the blank with a number of names, though.

This is, of course, ignoring all other contributions and focusing solely on points and contracts.

You can't really do $ per production on a PPG basis since they collect their paycheck whether they are on the ice or not. Skinner could play 4 games and score 5 points and would still make his $5.5 million or whatever. Of course, even if you do it the correct way it's still ignores all the other contributions as you previously eluded to.

mmssd

Dec 28, 2013
Team need more Russians they're our best players.

Well I hope that Tolchinsky kid can crack the lineup next season. As for Semin even if he spoke better English, he just doesn't strike me as captain material.

djboos22

Aho (insert pun)
Jan 17, 2011
Palm Bay, FL
Absolutely not. He is doing great under the role hes at now. Skate and score.

Look what happen to Eric when he got the "C". No one really thinks Semin's game would change?

I still think Eric is the captain of this team. Our TEAM just needs to be better. With the play from Harrison, Bowman, Nash, Dwyer, there is no support from the bottom or defensively. The top 2 lines have been great and Sekera has been a beast. I love how Murphy plays, but Faulk hasnt stepped up either.

Eric, whether or not people want to believe it, has been playing well.

Our goaltending has been shaky at best. Ward is hot, hot and then cold cold cold cold. Khudo has been a great addition, but the we run him dry.

Changing which sweater the "C" is on wont change much.

bluedevil58*

I could get behind this. Semin is hands down our best players. Give him the C.

Great thread by the way. Would read again. Keep posting!

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Goal totals before captaincy: 45, 30, 38, 40.

Goal totals since becoming captain: 29, 33, 24, 18 (on pace for about 35) and this year with 16 goals so far.

His game changed, I believe Semin's would as well.

His game may have changed, but I don't know how you can attribute that to captaincy.

First, the 29 goal season you mention, Staal was named Captain midway through the season and his scoring increased after he was named (he had only 8 goals from Oct-Dec and was named captain in Jan). His goal scoring that season was impacted by his play BEFORE he was named captain, he picked it up from Jan-April.

Secondly, he became more of a playmaker than goalscorer. If you ignore the anomalie that was the cup season:

Before Captain:

06/07: 70 points
07/08: 82 points
08/09: 75 points
09/10: 70 points (became captain mid way through that season)

After Captain:
10/11: 76 points
11/12: 70 points
12/13: 53 points (91 point pace for 82 game season)
13/14: 65 point pace for 82 game season

So his point totals have remained pretty constant from before to after captaincy, just more assists than goals.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
I say no, but not because he's Russian or "enigmatic" or anything like that. It's kind of hard to describe, but he just doesn't seem like the type of guy who would be comfortable being the face of a franchise.

By all accounts, he gets along well enough with his teammates. I think he'd make a decent leader in the room, but as captain you're the guy the outside world wants to hound with questions, praise when things go well, and lynch when things go badly. I don't think he wants any part of that, and I can't see the extra attention having a positive effect on his game. Seems to me an A would suit him much better than the C.

Last edited:

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Absolutely not. He is doing great under the role hes at now. Skate and score.

Look what happen to Eric when he got the "C". No one really thinks Semin's game would change?

I still think Eric is the captain of this team. Our TEAM just needs to be better. With the play from Harrison, Bowman, Nash, Dwyer, there is no support from the bottom or defensively. The top 2 lines have been great and Sekera has been a beast. I love how Murphy plays, but Faulk hasnt stepped up either.

Eric, whether or not people want to believe it, has been playing well.

Our goaltending has been shaky at best. Ward is hot, hot and then cold cold cold cold. Khudo has been a great addition, but the we run him dry.

Changing which sweater the "C" is on wont change much.

For 8m he needs to better than "well".

Give Semin C ,sign more Russians, change team name to Comrades, win multiple cups :sarcasm:

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
um this is a very serious thread and id appreciate it if u took it seriously because i put lots of time and thought into making this thread which presents a very well-reasoned argument towards impeaching stallo imo thx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad