Should Alex Semin be the captain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
It's obvious that Semin is perhaps the most clutch player on the team. When the team needs a goal, it's always Semin who delivers, while Staal is busy floating on the backcheck or in the penalty box. While Semin plays on the shutdown line with Jordan and excels, Eric (with a helping hand from Jeff Skinner) provides nothing but a nonstop stream of scoring chances/goals against.

Having already established that Semin is a better player who shows up far more often, let's take a look at what Brad Richards had to say about the departure of Ryan Callahan.

“Things that have to be said will still get said,” Richards said. “I’m not taking anything away from Cally, but he was pretty young and not that vocal.

“It’s not like he was 38 and had been in the league for 18 years, so everybody was looking to him to listen to what he had to say,” Richards said of the 28-year-old Callahan, a seven-year veteran who was in his third season as captain. “We have other guys here who know what to say and when to say it.

“I don’t want to make it sound like we don’t miss him. What he did on the ice, you can’t replace. It’s just that nothing is really going to change in the way we approach things in the room.”
Now, we know from interviews with players on this very team (Liles, Malhotra) that the "leadership" here isn't exactly the most vocal. We also know that Staal repeatedly mails in games. If we are going to have a non-vocal captain like Staal, then why not have someone who actually shows up like Semin does?

We've had 16 years of Canadian captains here and mostly North American teams and five playoff appearances to show for it. Time for a culture change. It's clear that Canadian/American players are able to float and constantly under perform with zero criticism from the media, zero repercussion from the GM, and very little flack from fans. Having a European captain and team is the only way for players to be held accountable, because guys who speak fluent English and talk to the media regularly will *never* be criticized, even if they make $9M while being on pace for 60 points combined with horrid defense and nonexistent effort.

VAcaniac

SHOOT THE PUCK
Feb 16, 2007
Los Angeles
Sadly you might be right. The only reason i agree at all is cuz of this teams lack of leadership depth.

Sekera deserves an honorable mention.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
If Semin was Canadian/American, the media would be praising him and say he's a gift from God to the Hurricanes. Not only is he clutch (with an injured wrist and 2 concussions in the past year), but he also leads by example. No more stupid stick penalties, great 2 way play.

Yet you have JR who says he doesn't play North South hockey.

The reason why Semin will never be the captain is his fluency in English. All his teammates said he was understandable though.

Maybe Sekera, Skinner or Faulk could be captain too.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
No Semin should not be captain. He's just...not a captain. My guess is he wouldn't want the added attention anyway.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I say we just forgo the captaincy. Go with 3 As.

Sekera/Faulk
Malhotra
Gerbe

Three players that, for most nights, you know what you're getting when they hit the ice.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Well, in points per game that's long been the case.

But I agree with your premise. Whoever wins the 'Canes scoring title becomes captain the following year.

I'm just being silly, as I think this thread was intended for silliness. But I also think calling Semin's season a giant disappointment when he finishes up with 45-55 points is also pretty true, regardless of how well he's played in the last 5 or 6 weeks.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
I'm just being silly, as I think this thread was intended for silliness. But I also think calling Semin's season a giant disappointment when he finishes up with 45-55 points is also pretty true, regardless of how well he's played in the last 5 or 6 weeks.

Oh I know. Scoring a ton of points does not make a good captain, and vice versa. To add a bit of serious, though, both Staals are at the top of the list when it comes to dollars per point per game. Semin is 3rd though. But that's the nature of high dollar contracts, and why bargains are always the lifeblood of budget teams.

If Eric had double the points he does now, he'd still be 5x the production per dollar that Gerbe is bringing in.

The press conferences and PR appearances would go really well.

Well it's not like Eric makes a lot of them.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

Finishing with 45-55 pts isn't a giant disappointment when you factor in the injuries and the missed games. Hey, even though he's not PPG anymore, I can see improvements in his game, like taking less penalties and improving on the defensive aspect of his game. It's just a season to forget for everyone on this team.
Semin, Skinner, J.Staal,Lindholm and Khudobin are the only ones that haven't disappointed me this year.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Well it's not like Eric makes a lot of them.

Eric is the interview almost every night someone doesn't score a goal in the first period. Semin hasn't been interviewed live once. If you can't see a difference between the two I've got no help for you.

And it's not like there's any reason it shouldn't be Jay Harrison every night. No one needs to hear Eric say the same ******** that Ron and Rod taught him to say every night.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
That's not true, and I was assuming postgame anyway. Not some pointless stock response midgame. And I was being sarcastic, since I'm well aware Semin does no interviews at any juncture.

I'm pretty sure no one actually is lobbying for Semin to be the captain.

In any event, I wanted to expand on my previous response. Dollars per production (PPG) goes as follows:

Ruutu
Eric
Jordan
Semin
Skinner
Tlusty
Dwyer
Bowman
Malhotra
Lindholm
Nash
Gerbe

I bold Tlusty because any realistic raise (400k+) puts him ahead of Skinner in terms of dollars per production. Yeah, raw dollars matter too, but if you're not producing, you're a waste at any price. Not long ago, Skinner's contract was seen as exorbitantly high, and trade proposals were thrown out all over the place with him as a centerpiece. Some were to exchange him for defense, and some were mostly to clear payroll. But if Tlusty doesn't bounce back, he'll be a pretty big black hole himself. How much is too much for what he brings? If he's looking for 2.5M+ and can't top 30 points, how do you justify keeping him around? I contend that Boychuk probably wouldn't have been much of a difference the way both are playing this year, and he'd come at a fraction of the cost. Really, fill in the blank with a number of names, though.

This is, of course, ignoring all other contributions and focusing solely on points and contracts.

VAcaniac

SHOOT THE PUCK
Feb 16, 2007
Los Angeles
That's not true, and I was assuming postgame anyway. Not some pointless stock response midgame. And I was being sarcastic, since I'm well aware Semin does no interviews at any juncture.

I'm pretty sure no one actually is lobbying for Semin to be the captain.

In any event, I wanted to expand on my previous response. Dollars per production (PPG) goes as follows:

Ruutu
Eric
Jordan
Semin
Skinner
Tlusty
Dwyer
Bowman
Malhotra
Lindholm
Nash
Gerbe

I bold Tlusty because any realistic raise (400k+) puts him ahead of Skinner in terms of dollars per production. Yeah, raw dollars matter too, but if you're not producing, you're a waste at any price. Not long ago, Skinner's contract was seen as exorbitantly high, and trade proposals were thrown out all over the place with him as a centerpiece. Some were to exchange him for defense, and some were mostly to clear payroll. But if Tlusty doesn't bounce back, he'll be a pretty big black hole himself. How much is too much for what he brings? If he's looking for 2.5M+ and can't top 30 points, how do you justify keeping him around? I contend that Boychuk probably wouldn't have been much of a difference the way both are playing this year, and he'd come at a fraction of the cost. Really, fill in the blank with a number of names, though.

This is, of course, ignoring all other contributions and focusing solely on points and contracts.

Are you taking into consideration #leadership?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad