Shot Location Data

Wesleyy

May 30, 2012
Where on earth can I find shot location data? I've looked everywhere but I can't find a scrapable source. NHL.com's Ice Tracker for some reason doesn't display the play by play data anymore and is replaced by a recap highlight, ESPN's GameCaster is wrapped in a flash app, CBS have a out of proportion rink image and the screws up coordinates of the already inaccurate data, TSN's rink is tilted to add a 3D effect, which screws up the location data.

Is there any way I can find the x,y coords of shots that would normally be on NHL.com's ice tracker?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Where on earth can I find shot location data? I've looked everywhere but I can't find a scrapable source. NHL.com's Ice Tracker for some reason doesn't display the play by play data anymore and is replaced by a recap highlight, ESPN's GameCaster is wrapped in a flash app, CBS have a out of proportion rink image and the screws up coordinates of the already inaccurate data, TSN's rink is tilted to add a 3D effect, which screws up the location data.

Is there any way I can find the x,y coords of shots that would normally be on NHL.com's ice tracker?

This guy wrote an app to display it. You could tweet him and ask.

Wesleyy

May 30, 2012
This guy wrote an app to display it. You could tweet him and ask.

I have explored that before, but the data is not complete. For example if you search Vancouver Canucks in the regular season, you will receive 42 goals out of 531 shots, which is not correct for the 2012-13 season as they have 122 goals. Playoff data is non existent

I have also tweeted him before to see if I could find where he gets his Ice Tracker data from, because as I mentioned, on nhl.com it seems to be replaced by a video highlight of the game instead of the data after a certain amount of time, but he hasn't responded. My guess is he scrapes the data as the game is on and stores it in his database.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad