Shortest NHL career?

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Right. Or even backup goalies who were dressed, but never actually got to play.

I still think we need to find out who holds the record for most games dressed without playing.

As far as I can tell, it's Levente Szuper (2002-03 Calgary Flames) with 9.

Sinter Klaas

Aug 19, 2006
Making Lists
I still think we need to find out who holds the record for most games dressed without playing.

As far as I can tell, it's Levente Szuper (2002-03 Calgary Flames) with 9.

Markus Ketterer, who backed up Dominik Hasek during Grant Fuhr's injury in the 1993-1994 season, didn't sniff a second of play in at least 20 games (probably more) that he was behind the bench.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Markus Ketterer, who backed up Dominik Hasek during Grant Fuhr's injury in the 1993-1994 season, didn't sniff a second of play in at least 20 games (probably more) that he was behind the bench.

A quick search reveals that Ketterer was called up November 27, 1993 and sent down on February 2, 1994 (before the game against New Jersey that day).

So it was actually 27 games that he rode the bench.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Alex "Shrimp" McPherson was a 50s career minor leaguer who stepped on the ice once. By doing this, he caused his team a too many men penalty, and also fell and injured himself. I would think this would count as the shortest possible career that actually involved stepping on the ice, although he didn't get credit for a game played.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Alex "Shrimp" McPherson was a 50s career minor leaguer who stepped on the ice once. By doing this, he caused his team a too many men penalty, and also fell and injured himself. I would think this would count as the shortest possible career that actually involved stepping on the ice, although he didn't get credit for a game played.

LMAO, poor guy.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010

I feel sorry for him!

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
This is a list of "one-hit wonders" (minutes not listed) but there are examples of players who dressed for a game and didn't appear. There are documented instances of goalies who dressed because of emergency situations. The Flyers dressed equipment manager Sudsy Settlemyre when Ken Wregget was injured in warmups and also Dennis Roy, an NHL off ice official in Los Angeles where he was on the staff of the Canadian Consulate, served as the backup after Doug Favell and Bernie Parent (who played) both had the flu. Roy wore number 1, which was Favell's number at the time.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/players/onegamewonder.html

Last edited:

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
This is a list of "one-hit wonders" (minutes not listed) but there are examples of players who dressed for a game and didn't appear. There are documented instances of goalies who dressed because of emergency situations. The Flyers dressed equipment manager Sudsy Settlemyre when Ken Wregget was injured in warmups and also Dennis Roy, an NHL off ice official in Los Angeles where he was on the staff of the Canadian Consulate, served as the backup after Doug Favell and Bernie Parent (who played) both had the flu. Roy wore number 1, which was Favell's number at the time.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/players/onegamewonder.html

Ok, there's a guy named Ching Johnson on that list. I find that terribly hilarious, and I'm sure that guy got tons of milage at parties from having that name.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Ok, there's a guy named Ching Johnson on that list. I find that terribly hilarious, and I'm sure that guy got tons of milage at parties from having that name.

Imagine if there was a correlation with the nickname in your earlier post. :sarcasm:

OK, back to the original topic...

MonzaSpyder

May 30, 2010
ON
I found, that Christian G. Soucy and Robbie Irons played in NHL only for 3 minutes. they are both goalies.

but is there any example of this short NHL career also with forwards or Defensmans?

Add Sean Gauthier of the 98/99 Sharks to that list of 3 minute goalies.

But those guys still had more time than the Bruins' Jordan Sigalet. He played less than a minute in the 05/06 season against Tampa Bay. At least they rounded his 43 seconds up to 1 minute though.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Does anyone have the game stats from Don Cherry's sole game in the NHL as a Bruin? I can't imagine he'd have gotten a lot of minutes in that game. Although it was enough to knock down Beliveau in front of the net.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Does anyone have the game stats from Don Cherry's sole game in the NHL as a Bruin? I can't imagine he'd have gotten a lot of minutes in that game. Although it was enough to knock down Beliveau in front of the net.

I'm not sure of the numbers but the circumstance was that he replaced an injured Fern Flaman (an eventual HHoF inductee) for Game 5 of the 1955 PO series against Montreal.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Imagine if there was a correlation with the nickname in your earlier post. :sarcasm:

OK, back to the original topic...

Well, I'd definitely rather be nicknamed after an ultra-tough HHOF defenseman than a small crustacean, whether my last name could be taken to mean "genitalia" or not.

for sub-3 minute goalies, we're also missing Rob McVicar, Martin Houle, and Mathieu Chouinard, a draft crybaby who didn't turn out quite as successful as Lindros...or Berard...or anyone really.

MonzaSpyder

May 30, 2010
ON
for sub-3 minute goalies, we're also missing Rob McVicar, Martin Houle, and Mathieu Chouinard, a draft crybaby who didn't turn out quite as successful as Lindros...or Berard...or anyone really.

Forgot about those guys ... McVicar and Chouinard (love the draft crybaby crack - even better, Ottawa drafted his butt again, after he refused to sign with them the first time around, lol, as a lower seed) each got 3 minutes, Houle with 2, leaving Sigalet still the reigning champ here.

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010

I think he played 2-3 minutes total. I dont remember exactly.

HF007

Sep 9, 2008

most embrassing too:sarcasm:

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf

Poor guy, that has to be the crappiest NHL career ever.

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
That back-up goalie for Washington a while back who was like a scout or an agent or something? He didn't even sit on the bench the entire game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad