Post-Game Talk: Shootouts = zzzzzzz

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I'm not upset. I'd be more upset if we got no points, but we've had games where our goalies stole them while we were getting massively outplayed. We also lose them the same way. It happens. The good thing is if you outplay the other team most nights you're gonna win. I take this as a positive. We've gotten a few good goal scoring games under our belt the past 4. I think we could turn it up soon.

Tatar and Nyquist need a talking to though. Jesus. Demote or bench Tats. Call up Nosek. If Tatar needs a stern hand to play smart then so be it. Be hard with him. Nyquist just needs to find a way to go to the hard areas more. What is it like 2 goals in 20+ games? Unacceptable man.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
lol. when in last 5years Liverpool dominated some game? they are so ****** :D

Not too hard to read out of your comment that you're clearly not watching any games at all. Easier to say which game they didn't dominate
this season than the other way round. Having seen the latest game vs. ManU and u've seen 'em all. Dominating but not converting is typical 'pool.
And that was the initial point that I found worth mentioning in regard to Bruce Joker's original comment.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Unfortunate loss, but honestly the Wings played great. Larkin was awesome despite having no points. Keep playing like they have recently and they'll be fine.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
This play won't sustain and nyquist and Tatar haven't been noticeable down this strech
They've both been playing around 10-13 minutes per game a lot of the time lately. Not going to notice them a lot then.

Still Tatar has 5 points in his last 6 and Nyquist 4 in the last 6. They're doing alright. Came extremely close to connecting on an OT winner last night too.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
This play won't sustain and nyquist and Tatar haven't been noticeable down this strech

Tatar has been very noticeable lately and I don't mean that in a good way. His turnovers have gone from annoying to very troubling. They seem to continuously end up in our net or with somebody in the penalty box lately and that includes Tatar worsening his own stupid decision by taking a penalty.

I think both Nyquist and Tatar are playing harder in terms of engagement since the all-star break but not a ton better and in Tatar's case certainly not smarter.

They've both been playing around 10-13 minutes per game a lot of the time lately. Not going to notice them a lot then.

Still Tatar has 5 points in his last 6 and Nyquist 4 in the last 6. They're doing alright. Came extremely close to connecting on an OT winner last night too.

They need more minutes. It is a live and die with them scenario but I can see why Tatar and Nyquist aren't getting more minutes a lot of the time too. I mean coaches hate silly turnovers in terms of Tatar. Nyquist until the last couple weeks was just far too perimeter in his approach and not competing hard enough a decent amount of the time.

We have talked a lot about things Blashill needs to do in terms of the dressing room and all sorts of things. I don't think it is an accident he is being harder on Tatar, Nyquist, Jurco and Pulkkinen. He expects and knows the level of these guys and has pre-existing relationships. I think he sends messages with them to the whole group and I am pretty sure they can handle it because all four talk about there relationship with him glowingly still when asked.

I get the chicken and the egg argument here in terms of needs more minutes versus earning more minutes while playing less. As I said I am in the camp of they need more minutes, if we have any deep run aspirations we need these two guys in particular playing at a much higher level. Good news is we know they both can, bad news is despite somewhat of an uptick in numbers they don't seem that close to getting there lately and it is alarming for the long-term season goals of this team.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I'm not upset. I'd be more upset if we got no points, but we've had games where our goalies stole them while we were getting massively outplayed. We also lose them the same way. It happens. The good thing is if you outplay the other team most nights you're gonna win. I take this as a positive. We've gotten a few good goal scoring games under our belt the past 4. I think we could turn it up soon.

Tatar and Nyquist need a talking to though. Jesus. Demote or bench Tats. Call up Nosek. If Tatar needs a stern hand to play smart then so be it. Be hard with him. Nyquist just needs to find a way to go to the hard areas more. What is it like 2 goals in 20+ games? Unacceptable man.

Tatar is working hard it just not working now , but it will come . Nyquist is skilled , probably second to Datsyuk in the team , but he wouldn't go to hard areas . I like Nosek a lot but now there is no vacancy for him . I would trade Nyquist for 1st rounder

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Tatar is working hard it just not working now , but it will come . Nyquist is skilled , probably second to Datsyuk in the team , but he wouldn't go to hard areas . I like Nosek a lot but now there is no vacancy for him . I would trade Nyquist for 1st rounder

Tatar has the appearance of working hard, it is in his skating stride and just kind of when you watch him play... One has to point out though the second goal last night, does that look like a guy that is working hard on his craft? Does the turnover in the slot that leads to a penalty in the last game look like a guy that is working hard? I mean at some point and I really do like Tatar, the stupidity in his game has to lessen if he is really working as hard at it as his bigger fan club likes to say.

Trading Nyquist for futures doesn't make sense. I will listen on either Tatar and Nyquist at this point. I prefer to trade Tatar but I know we will all come down in different camps, but I want a known commodity coming back like say Vatanen in terms of a much talked about trade. Nyquist for a mid-first rounder or late first rounder is a silly trade. He is better than that trade, we have to do better if we do move one of these two.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
What was Nyquist doing on the first goal against? Let's get into position, but then just stare the wrong way and allow a tap in.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
What was Nyquist doing on the first goal against? Let's get into position, but then just stare the wrong way and allow a tap in.

Covering for a center out of position who just made a turnover and defender wandering. Not good enough, but wingers assignments aren't the net goal mouth to begin with either. They sometimes cover the middle but that deep points to a blown assignment. Bigger issue with AA's turnover in that sequence, though Nyquist probably should have turned and just taken Duchene down, they were in big trouble once that started happening.

Always have a bigger problem with the guy who starts the sequence of mistakes. Just like while not thrilled with Larkin trying to fly the zone and then being subsequently about four feet away from his actual zone coverage and a bit deep the second goal is clearly on Tatar in this game. Mrazek let in a softy there and they seemed to have chain reaction but it started with Tatar turning over the puck as usual. I am not sure who counts giveaways but Tats should be right there with Ericsson at least in terms of the eye test he leads the forwards by a country mile.

I thought he was getting better about it towards the end of last year. He has been steadily making questionable decisions all year with the puck. I don't know why it isn't improving a little. The turnovers have to come down for Tatar, they just have to for him to be what we all hope on this team and impact positively night in and night out. Just like Nyquist has to go to the dirty areas more often for him to have the massive impact we all hope he will.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Wings dominated, but Colorado cashed in on the few opportunities they did have due to defensive miscues.

Anyone else notice that Mrazek's rebound and puck control skills these past two games haven't been very good? Still way better than Jimmy Howard on a good day, but not nearly as good as Mrazek has been most of the year.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Wings dominated, but Colorado cashed in on the few opportunities they did have due to defensive miscues.

Anyone else notice that Mrazek's rebound and puck control skills these past two games haven't been very good? Still way better than Jimmy Howard on a good day, but not nearly as good as Mrazek has been most of the year.
Mrazek's been ridiculous for a long stretch, he is only human and will have some games where he isn't in beast mode. Also not the easiest game here against Colorado, they barely had any shots on goal.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

He hasn't really played a lot of games in one year. His high number in terms of regular season games is still back in his junior days. Part of why some of us were upset when Monster kept getting hurt, it would have been ideal for Mrazek to get a heavier workload in the minors. I think they tried keeping him down an extra year for just that reason it didn't work out. With the playoff runs he has played a decent amount but still I wonder if fatigue will be an issue at some point for Mrazek. I have been hopeful the competition lasting for a couple months would help him out, but I do expect at some point he will be impacted by this being the first extreme workload in his pro career, since likewise hope this involves a deep playoff run it should be the most games he has started.

My opinion on the rebound thing is Mrazek does a lot of purposefully giving rebounds, kicking them out hard or putting them into the corner. I thought last night he just didn't seem to get enough on that kind of play or misjudged it. He doesn't generally leave the sitters Howard or say Craig Anderson do. I mean all goalies do it to some extent. Mrazek has come a long way though in terms of what kind he leaves. Used to be a much bigger issues.

Last edited:

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
You win 95% of the games where you more than double the other team in shots. Not worried about the loss.

Tasteslikekevinbacon

Oct 26, 2013
Ontario, canada
So just read per Khan:

same forwards group Sunday. D pairings at practice were

Quincey-DK
Smith-Green
Kindl-Marchenko

Jonny Rigs is questionable with a "lower body injury". Mrazek is starter on his 24th birthday!

Didnt watch last nights game but overall it seems that the 'ol hot goalie vs the Red Wings trope made a reappearance. Groovy.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015

The biggest question is what Larkin was doing on the second goal imo.. That was some embarrasing puck watching, COmeu could just skate right in and connect on the pass while larkin was doing nothing 5 feet away from Comeu

benusmc

Feb 11, 2008
Dekeyser played like a damn moron yesterday. Continuing to throw the puck around Petr..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad