Post-Game Talk: Shootouts hate us. Leafs lose 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
3 of 4 points was certainly unexpected. It's starting to look like they may in fact make the Playoffs.

napoleon in rags

Fred's dead, Baby... Fred's dead
Jun 17, 2009
St. Helena
I get that you have a narrative in your head about Gardiner, but it'd be great if you referenced what actually happened to try and make your point.

The puck was dumped in - this is a regular hockey occurrence. Gardiner (who I am sure you will agree is a great skater) was never going to be first to the puck when Hamilton was already skating with forward momentum.

Phaneuf was taking no one.
Reimer was somehow beaten short side by a backhand.

Did people not see Mike Kostka play the puck like a hand grenade tonight? It baffles me how the one guy on the back end who can actually start plays and move the puck routinely gets ripped on. He's not Luke Schenn - not every player we develop has to "regress" in their second year.

I saw Gardiner drop a pile of poo on that play (and a few others), but apparently it smells like roses.

I also saw Kostka play a fine game last night.

Perhaps I have to get my eyes and nose checked. Maybe it's my TV?

tony135420

Jul 30, 2007
Lol. Oh HF boards. If a team can play THAT poorly, and still gain a point, and have a chance to win the game in OT\shootout, I'd say something is being done correctly. You can keep thinking the big bad bruins cut you a break by slumping so hard, or you can think that the leafs weren't nearly as bad as you believe. I tend to go with the latter.

Haha, yes that was a bit of an over reaction on my part after watching the Sportcentre highlights and being just frustrated that we lost a 2 goal lead again against a struggling team. However, I still stand by my comments above that one.

I think the line bolded above is also true, one of the positives. I know this team is alot better than the way they played in the 2nd and 3rd last night. Hearing comments from Reimer and Carlyle after the game was interesting. They seem content on getting the 1 pt. I still feel the Leafs let a point escape.

Last edited:

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I am tired of everyone sayiong we got 3 of 4 against the Bruins. We did not.
The Bruins got 2 points, Leafs got 3.
Leafs got 3 of 5 points.

Stay with me here:

- the maximum amount of points the Leafs could accrue over two games = 4
- the amount of points the Leafs accrued over said two games = 3
- the ratio of points earned to potential points = 3/4

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
I agree with most of what you posted, JVR is not driving the net, if anything it is he that is not helping Kessel right now. Kessel doesn't need a Center, he is capable of creating chances himself when he is in the mood, kind of tired reading why an elite talent needs this or that, all he needs is a winger like Lupul or JVR when his mind is motivated to create a 2nd scoring line, for some reason JVR has disappeared. When JVR is driving the net, the line is more than capable of producing. RC sees this and pasted his butt to the bench for it. Line will be fine once JVR wakes up, but Kessel could be better in Boston too, he shouldn't need a Crosby to play well there. Kessel can play well anywhere himself when he wants to.
Agree with this. This is why JVR and Lupes need to swap. Lupes will do the dirty work for Kessel where as Kads has Kulie to do it for him. He can just feed JVR in front of the net all night long.

thatshype

Jul 3, 2010
I saw Gardiner drop a pile of poo on that play (and a few others), but apparently it smells like roses.

I also saw Kostka play a fine game last night.

Perhaps I have to get my eyes and nose checked. Maybe it's my TV?

I agree with you about Kostka, for sure. Kostka was paired with Franson and Franson was handling the puck like a grenade in his own end. Kostka had to bail him out of trouble after he succumbed to the forecheck. Franson is a good player in the offensive zone, but I really didn't like what I saw of him in the Leafs end. He had me screaming at the TV a few times.

buntek

Jun 2, 2011
Toronto
Did anyone mention the absurd amount of calls that weren't called against the Bruins last night? The refs were horrible.

MajorityRules*

Leafs got 3 of 5 points.

Please explain to me how the Leafs could have gotten 5 points in 2 games.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Phaneuf watched Bergeron walk out from the side of the net and put it away. That was a joke, wtf was he waiting for?

paulster2626

Oct 11, 2008
Leafs got 3 of 5 points.

Wrong. With potentially 3 points able to be awarded in every game, the Leafs actually only got 3/6 points. In fact this season they've played 33 games. That means there have been 99 available points, and the Leafs only got 38 of them. This is terrible and I blame Randy Carlyle and Brian Burke.

As shown in the past 2 games against Boston, they are only able to get 1/2 of the available points (3 out of 6 available) when they are lucky, therefore this team is garbage and needs to be blown up and must tank to get good again.

Trade: Kessel/Bozak/JVR/Kulemin/Grabo/MacArthur/Phaneuf/Gunnarsson/Liles for draft picks. Keep KADRI.

...am I doing this right?

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Dion does not seem particularly intelligent on or off the ice.

For someone who's 'not particularly intelligent', he plays a sport that most of us wished we played for money, he's the captain of a franchise adored by millions, makes millions doing so and has a great looking wife to top it all off.

Unless you've had personal encounters where there weren't a hundred cameras in his face, I don't know how you can judge someone's intelligence like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad