Post-Game Talk: Shootouts hate us. Leafs lose 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
T
IT'S TYLER SEGUIN NOT SEQUIN. SEGUIN SEGUIN SEGUIN SEGUIN SEGUIN

Why is this so hard to comprehend? As a result of the Phil Kessel deal, Seguin has been one of the most talked about players on these forums. He is a 2nd overall pick, and has already amassed 2 1/2 years in the NHL. You'd think people would notice that he isn't a sequin by now.

THIS IS A SEQUIN:
Scalloped%20Sequin%20Fuschia.jpg

THIS IS A SEGUIN:
tumblr_l9wdl1PEQZ1qbctb2.jpg

BIG DIFFERENCE.

They look exactly the same to me.

Feb 24, 2004
Blaming either Phaneuf or Reimer for that goal is idiotic at best. Gardiner got stripped of that puck like a grownup taking the puck away from a little kid. Growing pains. He will remember that one I am sure. Those are men out there kid and if you want to keep playing with them you better compete.

So typical of some posters here to absolve the golden boy of any blame while whipping the ususal suspects. Get real.

So Gardiner had possession of the puck?

Oct 18, 2010
So Gardiner had possession of the puck?

He played it terribly. Surely he knew the guy that plays 26 minutes a night was out there and at the end of a shift. Instead he ends up on the wrong side of the puck and gets easily outmuscled after that. Phaneuf should have been better on thay play but he's not being put in a position to succeed being left out to dry like that. There are more questions about Gardiner's IQ on that play than Phaneuf's IMO.

Gardiner is shaky at best.

Feb 24, 2004
He played it terribly. Surely he knew the guy that plays 26 minutes a night was out there and at the end of a shift. Instead he ends up on the wrong side of the puck and gets easily outmuscled after that. Phaneuf should have been better on thay play but he's not being put in a position to succeed being left out to dry like that. There are more questions about Gardiner's IQ on that play than Phaneuf's IMO.

I get that you have a narrative in your head about Gardiner, but it'd be great if you referenced what actually happened to try and make your point.

The puck was dumped in - this is a regular hockey occurrence. Gardiner (who I am sure you will agree is a great skater) was never going to be first to the puck when Hamilton was already skating with forward momentum.

Phaneuf was taking no one.
Reimer was somehow beaten short side by a backhand.

Did people not see Mike Kostka play the puck like a hand grenade tonight? It baffles me how the one guy on the back end who can actually start plays and move the puck routinely gets ripped on. He's not Luke Schenn - not every player we develop has to "regress" in their second year.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
all three of Gardiner, Phaneuf, and Reimer could have played that one better.

as it is, it was a nice hustle play by Hamilton to catch the leafs on a line change, and a nice play by bergy to look off Dion at the end of a long shift (and yes Lucic was coming down late into the play) and then sneak the backhander under Reimer's arm.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
all three of Gardiner, Phaneuf, and Reimer could have played that one better.

as it is, it was a nice hustle play by Hamilton to catch the leafs on a line change, and a nice play by bergy to look off Dion at the end of a long shift (and yes Lucic was coming down late into the play) and then sneak the backhander under Reimer's arm.

or if kessel 's line does anything we dont go to a shootout ....tired of of the no shows against tough teams.....

MajorityRules*

This fanbase is terrible. Bunch of posters laying fault on one player or another while another bunch of posters defends that player by pointing the finger at a different player.

I'm not saying all posters but when you're defending a player in a debate it might help to just stick with defending the player instead of bending over backwards to fault someone else. It just makes you both look .....well, rather stupid to be honest.

Then again... for some, if you couldn't blame a player for something you'd have nothing to talk about.:shakehead

3 of 4 points. Who would have believed it?:handclap:

tony135420

Jul 30, 2007
I get that you have a narrative in your head about Gardiner, but it'd be great if you referenced what actually happened to try and make your point.

The puck was dumped in - this is a regular hockey occurrence. Gardiner (who I am sure you will agree is a great skater) was never going to be first to the puck when Hamilton was already skating with forward momentum.

Phaneuf was taking no one.
Reimer was somehow beaten short side by a backhand.

Did people not see Mike Kostka play the puck like a hand grenade tonight? It baffles me how the one guy on the back end who can actually start plays and move the puck routinely gets ripped on. He's not Luke Schenn - not every player we develop has to "regress" in their second year.

It like any line not centred by kadri was lost tonight. Our defensive pairings were coughing up the puck, missing assignments all night. Everyone on grabs line was playing by themselves. Bozak still looks like he's playing over his head. And i've never seen a goalie look behind him so much after a save. Reimer should really open his eyes when someone shoots. There were some positives but way too many negatives. Phaneuf-gardiner should not be paired together.

It's a good thing the bruins are slumping or this would have been a blowout.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
This fanbase is terrible. Bunch of posters laying fault on one player or another while another bunch of posters defends that player by pointing the finger at a different player.

I'm not saying all posters but when you're defending a player in a debate it might help to just stick with defending the player instead of bending over backwards to fault someone else. It just makes you both look .....well, rather stupid to be honest.

Then again... for some, if you couldn't blame a player for something you'd have nothing to talk about.:shakehead

3 of 4 points. Who would have believed it?:handclap:

This is what everyone should be focused on. That's 3/4 against the opponent this team struggles with most.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
It like any line not centred by kadri was lost tonight. Our defensive pairings were coughing up the puck, missing assignments all night. Everyone on grabs line was playing by themselves. Bozak still looks like he's playing over his head. And i've never seen a goalie look behind him so much after a save. Reimer should really open his eyes when someone shoots. There were some positives but way too many negatives. Phaneuf-gardiner should not be paired together.

It's a good thing the bruins are slumping or this would have been a blowout.

Lol. Oh HF boards. If a team can play THAT poorly, and still gain a point, and have a chance to win the game in OT\shootout, I'd say something is being done correctly. You can keep thinking the big bad bruins cut you a break by slumping so hard, or you can think that the leafs weren't nearly as bad as you believe. I tend to go with the latter.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I just don't know what Dion was thinking or maybe thats the problem, he was not thinking on that goal.

I must admit, that did not look like NHL level IQ on that play.

Sometimes i wonder if Dion is a little "slow" up there.

onebighockeyfan

May 2, 2010

Gardiner also got owned by Hamilton for a puck battle. The kid has to learn.

onebighockeyfan

May 2, 2010
I just don't know what Dion was thinking or maybe thats the problem, he was not thinking on that goal.

You still wonder? My god, it's been obvious for years he's as thick as a brick.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

No one seems to question his IQ when he makes a great play.

I wonder why?

You see what you want to see. Every defenseman, even the elite ones, have a brain fart. Phaneuf is no exception.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Its absolutely beyond belief that anyone can rag on Reimer for last nights game.

The guy deserves 95% of the credit for all three points considering he pretty much had to deal with 110 mins of Boston Bruins possession in our defensive zone.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Dink Nation out in full force!

Blame the best player on either team in both games lol, Reimer was fantastic, again. Only 5 goalies have faced 20+ shots in the shootout, and he's one of them. He's saved .616%, what more can you ask?

Don't blame the guys that haven't scored in the shootout all year, only Bozak has scored...

That makes too much sense. No wonder why most people don't get it.

Blaming Reimer for the shoot out loss is ridiculous.

Without Reimer, you don't even get to the SO. We would lose something to the tune of 4-2, 5-2.

Lilou

t-.-t
Oct 29, 2008
Scarborough, ON
Some of you need to quit whining. You expected them to lose both. Admit it. Now you're in here crying because they got 3 out 4 pts. Even on tsnradio all you got were the doomsday types. Never happy unless they're miserable.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Gardiner also got owned by Hamilton for a puck battle. The kid has to learn.

Owned by Hamilton? He took the wrong angle, he had no chance at the puck after that. There was no puck battle. Hamilton was there first.

Watch the play again.

Before this game Bergeron had never been on the ice for a PP goal against. Last night, Gardiner sold the shot pretty well and passed to Lupul.

Who was supposed to cover Lupul? Hamilton...where was he? Near Rask looking at Lupul shooting in to an empty net.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad