Shootout or no?

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
I don't like it how the "keep everything the same" option has "I love it" in it. I don't love the shootout, but I'm fine with the current system in regular season.
Players are already having back-to-back nights, so unless you're decreasing the amount of games or starting the regular season earlier, I don't want to see teams playing longer OTs or anything like that. The players need rest to keep up the level of play through the season

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
This 100%. I hate shootouts, and I hate ties. You can only play 3 on 3 for so long until inevitably a goal is scored. I think this system would work best.

How long is too long for a regular season overtime game?

Continuous OT will never happen in the regular season. People need to realize that.

Agreed. People suggesting they do that just aren't thinking rationally.

4-on-4 -> 3-on-3 -> tie

Get rid of the shootout. 3-on-3 is a bit gimmicky but it at least includes most of the elements of hockey.

A shootout includes most elements of hockey (just doesn't have teamwork) shootouts are like penalty shots and I don't see people hating penalty shots so much.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Get rid of it any way possible. Whatever option they would choose would be better then the shootout

No it wouldn't. You can't have overtime in regular keep going on until someone scores. Ties suck so much. You play the game to win not to tie and when there are ties teams play to tie too much. Shootouts are the best option and that is why we have them now.

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
No it wouldn't. You can't have overtime in regular keep going on until someone scores. Ties suck so much. You play the game to win not to tie and when there are ties teams play to tie too much. Shootouts are the best option and that is why we have them now.

Obviously I wasn't referring to continuous overtime in regular season but yes a tie would be better. How stupid is it to have a winner decided by a skills competition? It proves absolutely nothing and it's a joke. It might have been fun the first year or two it was introduced but I think people realise hockey games shouldn't be decided by whoever can beat a goalie one on one (which happens not very often in a game).

5 min on 4 on 4 and 5 min of 3 on 3 should get the job done and is much more exciting then shootouts

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Keep removing a player from each side until a goal is scored. I don't care if it comes down to just the goalies casually lobbing pucks down the ice at each other. I'd still rather that more than a tie.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Obviously I wasn't referring to continuous overtime in regular season but yes a tie would be better. How stupid is it to have a winner decided by a skills competition? It proves absolutely nothing and it's a joke. It might have been fun the first year or two it was introduced but I think people realise hockey games shouldn't be decided by whoever can beat a goalie one on one (which happens not very often in a game).

5 min on 4 on 4 and 5 min of 3 on 3 should get the job done and is much more exciting then shootouts

A tie would not be better. Teams would play for a tie too much just like in the past. A tie proves nothing and leaves a totally empty feeling. There is a reason why ties are now gone and if they are brought back it would suck so very much.

In case you didn't know all of hockey is a skills competition. Its not like shootouts are using skills that have nothing to do with playing hockey is used to determine a winner.

And if it is still tied after then they should go to a shootout not a stupid tie.

Windy River

Jan 31, 2013
No gimmicky 4vs4 OT, just go straight to shootout to decide who gets the W and who gets the L, helps eliminate the stupid point system at the same time.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
No gimmicky 4vs4 OT, just go straight to shootout to decide who gets the W and who gets the L, helps eliminate the stupid point system at the same time.

The league isn't going to make a SO win/loss worth the same as a regulation win/loss. That's a terrible idea. It sends the message that the shootout is worth the same as a 60-minute hockey game.

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg
I would've liked 4x4 then 3x3 until a goal is scored but I doubt the PA would ever go with that so went 4x4, 3x3 then tie.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Continuous OT will never happen in the regular season. People need to realize that.

I mean they do it in basketball with a smaller roster....and just as much if not more back-to-backs.

I'm not a fan of the SO. I think it's a gimmick. Just like the All-Star game, except not nearly as bad.

But I'm ok with keeping it. However, I'd prefer 3-5 minutes added to the 3v3 OT and a tie thereafter. But I can live with people not favoring ties.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
I mean they do it in basketball with a smaller roster....and just as much if not more back-to-backs.

I'm not a fan of the SO. I think it's a gimmick. Just like the All-Star game, except not nearly as bad.

But I'm ok with keeping it. However, I'd prefer 3-5 minutes added to the 3v3 OT and a tie thereafter. But I can live with people not favoring ties.

Baseball isn't a physical sport so there is the big difference. The same goes for basketball. The only sport league in NA that is considered to be more physical than hockey is american football where they play 1 game a week.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Baseball isn't a physical sport so there is the big difference. The same goes for basketball. The only sport league in NA that is considered to be more physical than hockey is american football where they play 1 game a week.

Basketball is a physical sport, that is a easy misconception. But hockey is likely more physical. The roster sizes are a lot smaller in basketball though....so overall strain spread out among players is easier in hockey. I agree in the sense it's less practical because its easier to break a dead-lock in basketball than hockey though.

Still, I'm ultimately advocating for an increased OT length and a tie thereafter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad