Shootout or no?

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
I can't even begin to imagine the ripple affects it has had on potential champion teams being edged out of the playoffs due to a player slowing down to 2mph and deking a goalie out of it's pants.

No disrespect to Kane or the Blackhawks, and not saying the Wild were exactly the cusp, but use this example and think about if this was the point you needed to make the playoffs.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Yeah it's sometimes annoying and a bit of a coin flip but it's good for viewership and fan excitement. I'd leave it alone.

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
Yeah it's sometimes annoying and a bit of a coin flip but it's good for viewership and fan excitement. I'd leave it alone.

I just feel that by the time they get it sat up and finished, they could of played another 5 minutes of exciting hockey. to me its a team sport, but some like the SO...I watch the SO but much rather the extra OT.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
In the end, NHL is a show and shootouts have some entertainment value for the audience, so I'd like to keep them.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Have a real overtime and then play 3v3 until somebody scores.

Sure, the games will go long, but we can make up for that by shortening the totally obnoxious intermissions.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I'm not an old school fan so I would hate ending the game as a tie, but I don't like the shootout either. I think 10-minute 3-on-3 OT and then the shootout would be fine.

I think the point system is way a bigger problem than the shootout. It's ridiculous that over 82 games you can get the same amount of points by losing every single game and by winning half of them.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
ties are more stupid than shootout imo. So if its to bring back ties, no, keep shootout 100%

I like that Playoffs OT is special/different then reg season OT. So i wouldn't want to just have 5v5 OT until goal, keep that for playoffs.

So having 3v3 OT till someone scores is good.
Added caveat - if you get a penalty in a 3 on 3 - it does NOT become a 4 on 3. It becomes a 3 on 2. And then a 3 on 1 with 2 penalties, etc. adding players is stupid.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
ties are more stupid than shootout imo. So if its to bring back ties, no, keep shootout 100%

I like that Playoffs OT is special/different then reg season OT. So i wouldn't want to just have 5v5 OT until goal, keep that for playoffs.

So having 3v3 OT till someone scores is good.
Added caveat - if you get a penalty in a 3 on 3 - it does NOT become a 4 on 3. It becomes a 3 on 2. And then a 3 on 1 with 2 penalties, etc. adding players is stupid.

And if there's even more penalties, once the team has no players left on the ice, start removing spectators. :sarcasm:

HomeAndHome

All aboard the Lane train! WooWoo
Mar 10, 2017
London, ON
I think the shootout isn't perfect but it is fine with the point system that is in place, it's also already a long season with 4 games a week. Increasing the amount of overtime will just lead to more injuries over the course of the season and players being more fatigued (where people are already talking about shorter seasons). If a team has a back-to-back and the first game goes 10-20 mins into 3 on 3 overtime it will hurt the on ice product the next day.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
MLB doesn't end the game with a home run derby if the game is tied after 10 innings. To me the shootout is about as stupid as if MLB were to go to that to decide a game.

Mike Hasselhoffman

Bell Centre Baywatch
Sep 17, 2011
MLB doesn't end the game with a home run derby if the game is tied after 10 innings. To me the shootout is about as stupid as if MLB were to go to that to decide a game.
This x100!!

The shootout needs to go, it's an awful way to decide a game...let the guys play until the end.

HomeAndHome

All aboard the Lane train! WooWoo
Mar 10, 2017
London, ON

The largest sport in the world decides their major championships on shootouts, and soccer is much more comparable to hockey than hockey is to baseball. Comparing MLB to NHL has never made much sense to me.

This x100!!

The shootout needs to go, it's an awful way to decide a game...let the guys play until the end.

What exactly is "the end" to you?

Mike Hasselhoffman

Bell Centre Baywatch
Sep 17, 2011
The largest sport in the world decides their major championships on shootouts, and soccer is much more comparable to hockey than hockey is to baseball. Comparing MLB to NHL has never made much sense to me.

What exactly is "the end" to you?
It's the same kind of idea in the the home run derby is a skills competition, as is the shootout.

As for "the end", I meant when a goal is scored, then only you end the game.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Shoot out is a joke. Still have no idea what is wrong with a tie but if we must have a winner I would go with continuous OT in some form or another until we get a winner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad