OT: Shooting at Parliament

Status
Not open for further replies.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Multple first hand accounts have the man in all black with a scarf worn to conceal identity (viewable by the recording of him re-entering his car after the cowardly act), a few claim he did some sort of terrorist salute as well, brandishing a a rifle in public, maybe he changed in the car before the parliament incident i am not sure.

This morning i have seen a few sources linking the guy directly to terrorist organizations via photos from said terrorist org's own media sites as well as reports both criminals in question openly promoting terrorist ideologies on their own facebooks and twitter. There was a reason these folks were being watched and had their passports removed in the first place, just don't get the point in taking the chance today and especially knowing your own citizens will likely be the ones to pay for it if officials were not correct in their assesment of "we thought we got through to him"

It's whole different thing all together to promote an ideology and be a known associate of a group like IS.

I for one will choose to go by what the credited journalists are reporting for now instead of taking what terror groups are posting online. It's your prerogative and right to by into what the terrorists want you to believe at this time, but I think you're jumping the gun in this situation. Just let the facts come out before making these assertions. It's of the utmost importance to approach this with reason and pure factual evidence rather than emotion and preconceived ideas. Allowing the radicals, American media or even our own government drum up fear and speculation will lead to much worse things in the coming weeks and years.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
It's whole different thing all together to promote an ideology and be a known associate of a group like IS.

I for one will choose to go by what the credited journalists are reporting for now instead of taking what terror groups are posting online. It's your prerogative and right to by into what the terrorists want you to believe at this time, but I think you're jumping the gun in this situation. Just let the facts come out before making these assertions. It's of the utmost importance to approach this with reason and pure factual evidence rather than emotion and preconceived ideas. Allowing the radicals, American media or even our own government drum up fear and speculation will lead to much worse things in the coming weeks and years.

Very well put.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Anyone who didn't see what happened in the House of Commons this morning should really watch the news summary later. Sure, our political parties cross swords there and often it gets heated, but today, when they really needed to, all of our Parliamentarians came together and represented the very best of Canada and our values. Seriously, it will make you proud to be Canadian.

I am so proud of Canada and proud of our capital. I will be damned if I am going to let anyone or anything make me afraid or ashamed about either. I want our military men and women to proudly wear their uniforms in public, and I want us to all gather in public freely just as we always have. I also want our Parliament to remain the same open and welcoming place it has always been. Perhaps they will want to make a few strategic security changes, but it would be tragic if Parliament Hill turned into an armed camp. The day it does, the terrorists really have won.

Nets Cash

Aug 12, 2014
I dont get it this. What is a city coming together?

There's really no need for sarcastic quips. You know what he means. 'Come together' means 'to unite'.

It was a sad and difficult day for our Country and maybe to a greater extent, our city. If you're not uniting with the rest of the country's pride and resolve, what are you doing?

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
There's really no need for sarcastic quips. You know what he means. 'Come together' means 'to unite'.

It was a sad and difficult day for our Country and maybe to a greater extent, our city. If you're not uniting with the rest of the country's pride and resolve, what are you doing?

Not overreacting.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Standing ovation for Vickers today.

What do you not get about that sentence? It's pretty straightforward.

Don't bother. His first concern when this whole thing went down was to hope it didn't slightly inconvenience him in some way.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

I'm kind of on the same page as Benny here in asking what does this even mean? "To unite with the country's pride and resolve". Is it throwing up hash tags on Twitter and offering condolences to people you've never met or who will never see your message? Is it to maybe encourage others to donate to a cause like veterans affairs? Is it to spew vitriol against some groups some perceive as the culprits? Is it to logically discuss what happened and decide how we should proceed as a country?

I'm seeing mostly empty gestures, to be honest. That's incredibly cynical, I know but nothing is accomplished with Trudeau, Harper and Mulcair hugging it out. We need an in depth discussion and understanding very soon.

I like everyone paying their respects to the deceased Corporal and find that to be the only productive thing happening today but let's not pile on praise for people doing very very little (like the singing of an anthem in Pittsburgh last night, nice gesture but that really doesn't need to be a national story or explode the social media bubble).

"Unite, stand together" it's a nice sentiment but it may be empty rhetoric without an actual direction openness. Let's see how the house moves forward.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Standing ovation for Vickers today.

What do you not get about that sentence? It's pretty straightforward.

Don't bother. His first concern when this whole thing went down was to hope it didn't slightly inconvenience him in some way.

Really good stuff. The emotions Mr. Vickers must be going through must be tremendous. No matter how justified, it's always a gut-wrencher to have to take a human life.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I don't get people like you guys trying to rain on the parade of the people that at least feel a part of something today that is very emotional for some. We are constantly divided in almost everything in this country (and apparently, even including 'coming together' over a tragedy!) and in daily life. If people want to unite, and come together over an event that scares, bothers and affects a lot of people who are you to question that (even if it is just a gesture)?

Why would they have to be completely open about the direction their taking moving forward from this event? They haven't even started talking about how they plan to respond or react to it amongst themselves. It's about as ridiculous as the people jumping to saying 'man I hope this doesn't create a police state' while the actual event is still ongoing. But hey, do what you gotta do.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Here's a sobering photo that got tweeted - it compares how CNN's 24-hour news machine is over-dramatizing our tragedy, vs our own CBC's commendably professional coverage.

B0krpTDIgAAXOu6.png:medium

... CBC is awesome. Next time one of your neo-con friends tells you that the CBC needs to die, you remind them of today: the true value of a public broadcaster who is not beholden to ad dollars or sponsorship that might otherwise slant coverage.

CNN has been declining in quality for several years now. I can barely stand to watch it.

Plus massive over statement is the American media way :shakehead

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
I really hope the person who killed the shooter/terrorist isn't awarded with a medal, or called hero. He did what he had to do, leave it at that no need to celebrate the suspects death.

I wanted to comment on this. Did you see all the footage where a bunch of policemen are cowering behind pillars alongside cameramen when the shooter is nowhere in sight? At the same time Vickers was running AFTER the shooter to take him out. That's why he's getting the 'Hero' tag. It's all well and good to be trained on handling these sitautions, but very few can actually pull it off when it really goes down.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I wanted to comment on this. Did you see all the footage where a bunch of policemen are cowering behind pillars alongside cameramen when the shooter is nowhere in sight? At the same time Vickers was running AFTER the shooter to take him out. That's why he's getting the 'Hero' tag. It's all well and good to be trained on handling these sitautions, but very few can actually pull it off when it really goes down.

Indeed.

It's the same as asking what anyone would do in a certain situation. Everyone is going to say they'd play the hero, but the reality is less glorifying.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
I really hope the person who killed the shooter/terrorist isn't awarded with a medal, or called hero. He did what he had to do, leave it at that no need to celebrate the suspects death.

He saved lives at the risk of his own. He is a hero. I would've hid.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
He saved lives at the risk of his own. He is a hero. I would've hid.

This. I don't care about the death of the terrorist, I wish he was still alive to be questioned, but his life means nothing to me. Killing anyone is never a good thing, but in this case it is as close as you can get.

Those who were in the line of fire however, or could have been in the line of fire, do mean something to me. Whether I know them or not, I value those peoples lives. Vickers put his own life on the line to try and save others, which he in fact did. If that is not considered the act of a hero, I don't know what is.

The terrorist was a coward, and if he has to go though the chambers of hell, he would have gotten off easy in my books.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Why would they have to be completely open about the direction their taking moving forward from this event?

Because we live in a democratic society, something The Right Honourable Harper needs to be routinely reminded.

I apologize that my critique offends you but we've seen this country follow the US's lead and direction in so many ways under our current leadership. I want transparency on this more than anything. We don't need our own version of the Patriot Act (something that has been on the table long before these events) and we don't need our own Iraq War (referring to toppling of Sadam's regime under false pretenses, not the current conflict). Or even a militarized police force to "keep us safe".

Harper said last night he wants to double our security agencies efforts and double our resolve. I want to know what he means by that. Given recent history, I have my ideas on what that could mean. I won't stand with him or others if he supports some ideas and policies. That's more Canadian than anything in my eyes instead of blindly following someone just because of grief.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Unless he left behind a manifesto, we don't know why he did it. It could be voices in his head, a hatred of authority, brainwashing by reading too many faulty stuff online (this is a big one hitting a lot of kids), maybe the guilt complex society we live in today, or maybe he just wanted to become famous.

Who knows?

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Unless he left behind a manifesto, we don't know why he did it. It could be voices in his head, a hatred of authority, brainwashing by reading too many faulty stuff online (this is a big one hitting a lot of kids), maybe the guilt complex society we live in today, or maybe he just wanted to become famous.

Who knows?

We'll know soon enough. CSIS will pour through his life, going through his computer, retracing his actions, etc. They will do their job and build a profile on this person. From AP accounts (https://ca.news.yahoo.com/newsalert-mom-gunman-says-she-crying-victims-shooting-131042409.html), he was already under investigation by CSIS and was denied a passport so this is them just filling the blanks. Not to mention they will have the assistance of the CIA and the FBI.

These guys are very good at their jobs when it comes to this kind of stuff.

Nets Cash

Aug 12, 2014
I'm kind of on the same page as Benny here in asking what does this even mean? "To unite with the country's pride and resolve". Is it throwing up hash tags on Twitter and offering condolences to people you've never met or who will never see your message? Is it to maybe encourage others to donate to a cause like veterans affairs? Is it to spew vitriol against some groups some perceive as the culprits? Is it to logically discuss what happened and decide how we should proceed as a country?

I'm seeing mostly empty gestures, to be honest. That's incredibly cynical, I know but nothing is accomplished with Trudeau, Harper and Mulcair hugging it out. We need an in depth discussion and understanding very soon.

I like everyone paying their respects to the deceased Corporal and find that to be the only productive thing happening today but let's not pile on praise for people doing very very little (like the singing of an anthem in Pittsburgh last night, nice gesture but that really doesn't need to be a national story or explode the social media bubble).

"Unite, stand together" it's a nice sentiment but it may be empty rhetoric without an actual direction openness. Let's see how the house moves forward.

Speak for yourself, I live downtown, my daughter was in lockdown at her daycare in the mandatory lockdown zone well into the evening, when it was unknown if there was another gunman running around.

It was an upsetting and fearful day for myself and my family. I've spoken to many of my neighbours (just blocks from the events) on Metcalfe, I saw strangers talking and bonding in a way that we never would have seen on a typical day. It's part of coping with attacks of this nature when you're not used to seeing it so close to home. I do not use social media at all, this is the only forum on which I post by the way. Days like this are when fans forget about the city they play for and identify themselves as a canadian, not a leaf fan or a senator fan. If that's not 'uniting' I don't know what is. If it's not for you... That's fine, just don't put those down who want to feel united.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Just this whole situation sucks. Normally I'm quite emotionally detached from these things, but it actually hurts to see these things happen so close - I can literally see parliament from my apartment (though I live about a 20 minute walk). Obviously the Boston incident upset me, but to have something happen in my backyard just seems so different, I guess because I personally am involved this time. The weird thing is, there was a bomb threat in Victoria on Canada day (just before I moved to Ottawa), which didn't scare me this much, though I suppose it was because most of the details were released after the situation was in hand.

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary
I don't get people like you guys trying to rain on the parade of the people that at least feel a part of something today that is very emotional for some. We are constantly divided in almost everything in this country (and apparently, even including 'coming together' over a tragedy!) and in daily life. If people want to unite, and come together over an event that scares, bothers and affects a lot of people who are you to question that (even if it is just a gesture)?

Why would they have to be completely open about the direction their taking moving forward from this event? They haven't even started talking about how they plan to respond or react to it amongst themselves. It's about as ridiculous as the people jumping to saying 'man I hope this doesn't create a police state' while the actual event is still ongoing. But hey, do what you gotta do.

Well said:handclap:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

As much as you see through these things (as do I), many people appreciate these littles details, regardless of whether or not they're from the heart. I generally disregard all these "empty gestures" because I recognize them as such, but many see them as an empathetic response and quite genuine.

FWIW, it made me smile to hear the they sang our anthem in Pittsburgh last night - it might seem cheesy, but it represents the close relationship that the US and Canada hold and the fact that we stand together. As much as I like to joke about the States, I absolutely respect and cherish the relationship between our two countries as it's mutually beneficial, and in many respects, we're one and the same.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com

It's a real challenge sometimes to see these things for what they are and not what "politics" and "entertainment" Tells us they are.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I think some people are very misguided as to what a democratic society entails, and no, it doesn't require transparency on every issue from the government. Then again, we do live in the age of entitlement so some things do not surprise me here.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Speak for yourself, I live downtown, my daughter was in lockdown at her daycare in the mandatory lockdown zone well into the evening, when it was unknown if there was another gunman running around.

It was an upsetting and fearful day for myself and my family. I've spoken to many of my neighbours (just blocks from the events) on Metcalfe, I saw strangers talking and bonding in a way that we never would have seen on a typical day. It's part of coping with attacks of this nature when you're not used to seeing it so close to home. I do not use social media at all, this is the only forum on which I post by the way. Days like this are when fans forget about the city they play for and identify themselves as a canadian, not a leaf fan or a senator fan. If that's not 'uniting' I don't know what is. If it's not for you... That's fine, just don't put those down who want to feel united.
You're the first person ive seen actually explain what the unite stuff is. Your way is great and makes sense. Thats actual uniting.

My problem is with all this online "uniting". People that think saying stuff like OttawaStrong or prayers and thoughts with the people and more cliches etc. actually make a difference. Its just so pointless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad