News Article: Shohei Ohtani signs in Canada

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
The Dodgers have to hope his arm will be 100% in 2025, because if he can't be an elite pitcher anymore, his on field value takes a pretty big drop. He does bring a ton of money in advertising and visibility with him on top of everything else though, so there's that obviously.
LA Dogdirt deserve all the bad luck possble. Ohtani too.
Blur Jays get to be the Canadiens of baseball. Just used to up the players contract demands. Ohtani was never going anywhere else.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
It's not a contract that will age well for a two time benefeciary of the Tommy John surgery, at 30 years old, that won't be able to pitch for a whole year, maybe two "if they want to be careful", and at 70 million bucks a year.... you are not getting what you think you are getting.

I love the guy but that contract is the dumbest thing I've ever seen in sports considering his injury. Even batting might be affected by those surgeries at this point, considering his very peculiar batting swing.

I KNOW how good he his, how he's a 1 or 2 in your rotation and he's a great 3rd batter in the order with power and speed. A century marquee player. Unseen. But he's not playing at that pace in the coming years, they signed him for the next three, and for 1 1/2 of those he won't use half of his unseen skills. It's a terrible idea from where I stand.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

I have no way of confirming if all the Toronto-based media mentioned in this tweet fell for the rumor instead of doing their jobs but wouldn’t be surprised. What a gigantic fail by so-called mainstream media networks who supposedly have journalistic standards and the resources to exact them:

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
It's not a contract that will age well for a two time benefeciary of the Tommy John surgery, at 30 years old, that won't be able to pitch for a whole year, maybe two "if they want to be careful", and at 70 million bucks a year.... you are not getting what you think you are getting.

I love the guy but that contract is the dumbest thing I've ever seen in sports considering his injury. Even batting might be affected by those surgeries at this point, considering his very peculiar batting swing.

I KNOW how good he his, how he's a 1 or 2 in your rotation and he's a great 3rd batter in the order with power and speed. A century marquee player. Unseen. But he's not playing at that pace in the coming years, they signed him for the next three, and for 1 1/2 of those he won't use half of his unseen skills. It's a terrible idea from where I stand.
Exclusively a DH too at this point, he can't help you in the field at all with his arm. He's a skinny David Ortiz if he can't pitch again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gustave

frontsfan2005

Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
This got me thinking, what was the biggest splash free agent ever signed by a Canadian team in MLB?

The first name that comes to my head is Roger Clemens but I don't follow the sport closely.
It's likely Clemens, although at the time, he was 34 and he looked like he was washed up. In 1996, he was 10-13 with a 3.63 ERA, but he did lead the AL in strikeouts (257) and had a 20 strikeout game that September against the Tigers. From 1993-96, four seasons before his signing, Roger was 40-39 with a 3.77 ERA and didn't have a single Cy Young vote or all-star appearance. Toronto made him the highest paid pitcher in Major League history (3-years, $24.75 mil)

Some other big signings in this era were Jack Morris in 1992 (coming off a 18-12 season, followed by a memorable World Series, including 10-inning shutout in game 7 in 1991), Dave Winfield in 1992 (although he was 40) or Paul Molitor in 1993.

Reactions: JianYang

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I was with a friend today and told him, “Yup, that’s how it feels.”

Referencing PLD using Montreal only to sign with LA as well.

Jul 6, 2016
So Ohtani signed for the Dodgers for 1 billion CDN $ (700 M US $). WOW ! Totally sick.

The guy won't be able to pitch next season, maybe never again. He was a DH in the American League. Is that rule has been adopted in the National yet ? If not, can he play in a reglar position defensively ?

zx81

Aug 2, 2005
So Ohtani signed for the Dodgers for 1 billion CDN $ (700 M US $). WOW ! Totally sick.

The guy won't be able to pitch next season, maybe never again. He was a DH in the American League. Is that rule has been adopted in the National yet ? If not, can he play in a reglar position defensively ?
The national league has adopted the DH rule in 2022.

Reactions: LeHab

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Wait this wild, Herjavec is a caa client

Jays and Dodgers got played real bad. They will make a netflix special about this.

Highest paid mlb player goes from 43.5m to 70m and he can't pitch next season!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad