SHL: SHL 2015-16 General Discussion

jka*

I say Malmö, Karlskrona, Brynäs, Luleå, HV71 and Frölunda would start great in beginning of next season in swedish hockey league - shl - in short tale. Plus Rögle BK could be positive censation in next year ending tabell.

m4tt145

Jun 7, 2013
I say Malmö, Karlskrona, Brynäs, Luleå, HV71 and Frölunda would start great in beginning of next season in swedish hockey league - shl - in short tale. Plus Rögle BK could be positive censation in next year ending tabell.

And who do you think will finish in the bottom, if not KHK or RBK?

Poro24

May 4, 2005
Finland
Now that SHL has two more teams, is the league now more interesting than ever? I watched highlights of the first games and arenas seemed full and atmosphere was great.

Here in Finland we now have 15 teams in the league. We have no relegation and there are 60 regular season games, so most of the games are totally meaningless. We don't have enough good players for 15 teams so most of the time quality of the game is also very weak. It seems that people really don't care anymore. Our league is destroyed and attendances have been all time low.

We have decided to add one more team next year so we will have 16 teams and then the league will be closed again... I'm sure that then we well see a game with less than 2000 spectators. Soon Norway will have a better league than we.

How are things in Sweden? I read that SHL has FEWER games this season than last season. Thats incredible :handclap:.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Now that SHL has two more teams, is the league now more interesting than ever? I watched highlights of the first games and arenas seemed full and atmosphere was great.

Here in Finland we now have 15 teams in the league. We have no relegation and there are 60 regular season games, so most of the games are totally meaningless. We don't have enough good players for 15 teams so most of the time quality of the game is also very weak. It seems that people really don't care anymore. Our league is destroyed and attendances have been all time low.

We have decided to add one more team next year so we will have 16 teams and then the league will be closed again... I'm sure that then we well see a game with less than 2000 spectators. Soon Norway will have a better league than we.

How are things in Sweden? I read that SHL has FEWER games this season than last season. Thats incredible :handclap:.

Yes, SHL is back to 52 game seasons down from 55. All teams play each other four times. I was personally pro 14 teams. I'm pro 16 teams aswell. There are still many classic clubs and big cities playing in Allsvenskan, teams that would average over 5000 spectators in the SHL and add to the narrative. I think it makes the league way more interesting and alive. The biggest resistance comes from the top clubs, more clubs means a smaller slice of the pie.

PuckPoise

May 25, 2011
I personally don't like the expansion, having teams like KHK and Rögle up with the big boys might be fun to spice things up, but in terms of the hockey quality it will be a disaster, we're gonna see a ton more games where you know the result in advance, one of the best parts about SHL has been the natural parity, and now there will be teams every year in the SHL who clearly have no ambitions to even reach the playoffs.

Sure, it would be nice if a strong AIK, Björklöven, Leksand or Västerås got promoted, but I don't want to give them a free pass just because we want them up there, because we're gonna have to take on so many small teams since hockey clubs are run by idiots and the big clubs won't take the chance.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I personally don't like the expansion, having teams like KHK and Rögle up with the big boys might be fun to spice things up, but in terms of the hockey quality it will be a disaster, we're gonna see a ton more games where you know the result in advance, one of the best parts about SHL has been the natural parity, and now there will be teams every year in the SHL who clearly have no ambitions to even reach the playoffs.

Sure, it would be nice if a strong AIK, Björklöven, Leksand or Västerås got promoted, but I don't want to give them a free pass just because we want them up there, because we're gonna have to take on so many small teams since hockey clubs are run by idiots and the big clubs won't take the chance.

I bet that's what people used to say about Örebro and Växjö aswell. I agree Rögle seems to be fine being a bubble team forever though, but no team is a pushover.

I see a very noticeable trend already, and that is returnees from NA really starting to take big SHL roles. That's very good news for the league. Many more from these great generations will return in the coming years.

stars33

Jan 29, 2011
New York
I am a American who just been exposed to international hockey. I have been watching the KHL because one tv channel here in the states plays 2 games a week. The same channel also shows the champions hockey league. I recently have seen highlights of the SHL. And from what seen it looks awesome. I also love that the league has relegation. Does anybody know if the SHL has plans to grow their league internationally. I know premier sports in Great Britain shows games. It would be great if games were on in the US.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Question: Could Robin Press be the next John Klingberg? Does he have a similar skill package? Or do people who have watched both play throughout their development believe klingberg is far better?

Hockeyfrilla

Swe prospect fanatic
May 25, 2008
Sweden
Mikael Wikstrand suspended by Senators after returning to Sweden. They want him to play in AHL.

Last edited:

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Tedenby seems to be off to a good start. Maybe this is the year we see his offense.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Canucks fan here coming in peace. Noticed Anton rodin is leading the league in scoring and wants to try his hand in the nhl again. I was wondering how he looked? After his shoulder injury he seemed afraid of battling along the boards, has this changed?

I also noticed the westerholm twins have had a dramatic spike in their offensive output. Pathrik has 5 points in 5 games and ponthus has 4 in 5. Last year they respectively scored 13 and 10 points over the course of a full season! Is it that they have been given a much bigger offensive role? Are they playing with rodin and benefiting? I can't imagine just being given more ice time would equate to jumping from a ppg of .2 to 1. Do they have nhl potential?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Canucks fan here coming in peace. Noticed Anton rodin is leading the league in scoring and wants to try his hand in the nhl again. I was wondering how he looked? After his shoulder injury he seemed afraid of battling along the boards, has this changed?

I also noticed the westerholm twins have had a dramatic spike in their offensive output. Pathrik has 5 points in 5 games and ponthus has 4 in 5. Last year they respectively scored 13 and 10 points over the course of a full season! Is it that they have been given a much bigger offensive role? Are they playing with rodin and benefiting? I can't imagine just being given more ice time would equate to jumping from a ppg of .2 to 1. Do they have nhl potential?

Rodin has looked great the last two years tbh. He does not mind doing some dirty work at times but not really his game and he has two linemates (Scott & Lindblom) who get more 'stuck-in' than he does. He certainly has the skill level to play in the NHL, would be great to see him try again, he has grown into a far better player since he came back to Sweden. At times though I do wish he would not try and do everything himself... though it is certainly exciting!

The twins role has changed in regards to how they were used last year, especially at the start of last year, they started last year as the 4th line really and played their way into becoming the 3rd line.

The role they finished last year in is similar to what they are in now though, they are still the 3rd line. They have clicked in a major way with Daniel Mannberg though, the line has been great two ways from the get go this year. I do however think the offensive production shown is no-where close to sustainable, (though they are both better offensive players than they showed last year) and imagine Pathrik finishes with ~25 points and Ponthus ~20... more than half the points have came on broken plays and mistakes by opponents, and they are both shooting at over 20%.

Pathrik maybe could be a decent bottom six guy in the NHL... I don't think Ponthus is up to his level though, and has been seen to not have as many strings to his bow since joining Brynäs.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Rodin has looked great the last two years tbh. He does not mind doing some dirty work at times but not really his game and he has two linemates (Scott & Lindblom) who get more 'stuck-in' than he does. He certainly has the skill level to play in the NHL, would be great to see him try again, he has grown into a far better player since he came back to Sweden. At times though I do wish he would not try and do everything himself... though it is certainly exciting!

The twins role has changed in regards to how they were used last year, especially at the start of last year, they started last year as the 4th line really and played their way into becoming the 3rd line.

The role they finished last year in is similar to what they are in now though, they are still the 3rd line. They have clicked in a major way with Daniel Mannberg though, the line has been great two ways from the get go this year. I do however think the offensive production shown is no-where close to sustainable, (though they are both better offensive players than they showed last year) and imagine Pathrik finishes with ~25 points and Ponthus ~20... more than half the points have came on broken plays and mistakes by opponents, and they are both shooting at over 20%.

Pathrik maybe could be a decent bottom six guy in the NHL... I don't think Ponthus is up to his level though, and has been seen to not have as many strings to his bow since joining Brynäs.

Thanks! I'd love for Rodin to be brought back and I didn't think the Westerholm twins had nhl potential but wanted to see if they could be good enough to be top players in the ahl (pathrik being the better of the two) even though it's a pipe dream I always wanted them to be the sedins of the farm team as it would be a really cool story! Two sets of Swedish twins leading the ships for Vancouver and their farm

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
Many Canucks draftees have started the season well...

Rödin, Brynäs - 6G 6A
Tömmernes, Frölunda - 1G 9A +3 20:21 ATOI
Westerholm, Brynäs - 2G 5A
Forsling, Linköping - 1G 6A +6 16:16

Jonnieboy15

Nov 8, 2013
Stockholm
I don't know what they feed their players in Gothenburg, but they're doing it good! 11 wins in 12 games, seems like a strong contender this year. Hopefully they hold up in the playoffs too!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad