Confirmed with Link: Shinkaruk to CGY for Granlund

Status
Not open for further replies.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
It reeks of scum in here...Aquilini must be the reason for this...that would explain the smell.

Yes, I have a hard time believing Benning would of his own accord be the proponent of a "make the playoffs at all costs" mentality.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Doubt it. HF seems like a big community to start one, but there is an even bigger fanbase of Canucks fans that support blindly.

The casuals are the majority of the money and they will do whatever they can to please them.. Which is why this trade is ****ed because it angers both casuals and hardcores LOL

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
don't understand how this is bad,

Granlund has put up .85 PPG in the AHL and .33 in the NHL as a 22 year old.

Shinkaruk has put up a .59 PPG in the AHL, and has yet to crack the NHL.

In many ways this misses the point as badly as Benning misses the point.

What is Granlund worth in picks? A 3rd? A 4th?

Do the Canucks need another small soft centres given Vey eats 18 min a night already?

Do the Canucks even need him at all long term (or short), Henrik-Horvat-Sutter-McCann-Gaunce-Cracknell? 2016 1st/2nd could well be a centre too?

2016 UFA season could be a bonanza with a lot rock solid bottom 6 guys going cheap it the cap drops, better than Granlund and cheap.

Shinkaruk would be better used in a package for something really good.

It isn't even Shinkaruk vs Granlund that is the biggest problem.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Does Granlund Qualify as "Meat and Potatoes"???

I can't wait to see Vancouver somehow win one of the 3 lottery picks in this years draft only to watch Benning walk up the podium and spend the pick on someone like Max Jones or Logan Stanley.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I'm willing to see how Granlund pan out but still...what the hell is the point?

I am unable to comprehend the purpose of this trade from every perceivable angle. Or is this the kinda situation like Lovecraft horror - if I stare into the truth I may go insane?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Yes, I have a hard time believing Benning would of his own accord be the proponent of a "make the playoffs at all costs" mentality.

I have a hard time believing Aquilini forced Benning to trade Shinkaruk for Granlund. Aquilini probably doen't even know who Granlund is.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
The casuals are the majority of the money and they will do whatever they can to please them.. Which is why this trade is ****ed because it angers both casuals and hardcores LOL

Yeah, most of the casuals knew Shinkaruk and loved him. Reading comments on the Canucks instagram picture, which consists of a good majority of casual fans, is quite a funny read.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

Confused if this is sarcasm or not, but I believe Benning thinks we have a slim chance, but I also KNOW Aquilini is heavily involved and pushing management to get things done.

NucksRuleYep

Feb 19, 2013
I can see it now...

VANCOUVER: 1st Round Pick (2016) + Gaunce + Subban

TO

BUFFALO: Evander Kane

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I have a hard time believing Aquilini forced Benning to trade Shinkaruk for Granlund. Aquilini probably doen't even know who Granlund is.

This I agree with. I can see Aquilini pushing for playoffs and pushing hard, but I can't see him saying trade Shinkaruk for Granlund.

Both are complete idiots. Weisbrod needs to be included too because he was the 'braintrust' behind this trade.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I have a hard time believing Aquilini forced Benning to trade Shinkaruk for Granlund.

I agree. This is a minor trade with which I just can't picture owners being involved. Owners come into play when you're talking about trading for/signing Steven Stamkos or NOT trading Ryan Kesler (2014 deadline). Do some people really think the Aquilini's are saying to Benning "Yes, trade one of our top prospects for Markus Grandlund please!" ?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I agree. This is a minor trade with which I just can't picture owners being involved. Owners come into play when you're talking about trading for/signing Steven Stamkos or NOT trading Ryan Kesler (2014 deadline). Do some people really think the Aquilini's are saying to Benning "Yes, trade one of our top prospects for Markus Grandlund please!" ?

For sure, if Aquilini was involved it would be for some brand names like Ladd

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
In many ways this misses the point as badly as Benning misses the point.

What is Granlund worth in picks? A 3rd? A 4th?

Do the Canucks need another small soft centres given Vey eats 18 min a night already?

Do the Canucks even need him at all long term (or short), Henrik-Horvat-Sutter-McCann-Gaunce-Cracknell? 2016 1st/2nd could well be a centre too?

2016 UFA season could be a bonanza with a lot rock solid bottom 6 guys going cheap it the cap drops, better than Granlund and cheap.

It isn't even Shinkaruk vs Granlund that is the biggest problem.

I agree with your sentiments. It's not even Granlund vs Shinkaruk. I've never been that high on Shinkaruk given Orcatown's and BG's game analysis - always thought there was the high 'bust' factor there but like most here agree that it was worth the gamble to keep him anyway, rather than to trade him for an asset we could easily replace for free anyways.

Granlund is nothing special other than being a good utility forward - and that's a best case scenario.

It's another case of bleeding assets for underwhelming returns and a lack of focus towards what should be an obvious strategy of maximizing long-term rebuild potential.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Does Granlund Qualify as "Meat and Potatoes"???

I can't wait to see Vancouver somehow win one of the 3 lottery picks in this years draft only to watch Benning walk up the podium and spend the pick on someone like Max Jones or Logan Stanley.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Logan Brown******

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I can probably eventually live with the disappointment of crap that will be this TDL.

But Benning better not trade the Nucks 2016 1st or all hell will break loose (even more so).

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I can probably eventually live with the disappointment of crap that will be this TDL.

But Benning better not trade the Nucks 2016 1st or all hell will break loose (even more so).

If he does trade our 1st, it will be the death of him...so kinda hoping it happens because it would eventually be better for the team in the long run. We are constantly bleeding assets.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The thing is even if Granlund develops to his ceiling of a ~30 point player, what kind of value does he hold? In the current market place what does a ~30 point player who's soft and plays easy minutes get you? A guy like Matthieau Perrault who was coming of a ~50 point season with excellent analytics wasn't even qualified by his team because he was soft.

Yeah, exactly. Granlund's ceiling is a tweener ~30 point centre, the Canucks let numerous amounts of these guys walk under Benning for absolutely nothing.

And if we were super-short on young center depth, MAYBE even at that this makes a tiny bit of sense.

But we have Horvat, McCann, Vey, Gaunce all as young-ish middle-6 centers and Sedin and Sutter firmly established in roster spots and going nowhere.

Picking up a 'more ready' depth tweener redundant Vey-type is the most utterly pointless, illogical move the team could have made.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
Please tell me this has been reported as fake by now
Please ?
PLEASE ?!?!

I get upset whenever I read the title :(

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

You mean there's no way for Benning to trade McCann+2016 1st for Ladd?

I respectfully disagree, I think Benning trading McCann + 2016 st for Ladd seems like a terrifyingly distinct possibility.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
This I agree with. I can see Aquilini pushing for playoffs and pushing hard, but I can't see him saying trade Shinkaruk for Granlund.

Both are complete idiots. Weisbrod needs to be included too because he was the 'braintrust' behind this trade.

It's funny cause he was the 'brain trust' behind the Jankowski pick and also trying to offer sheet O'Reilly when he would have had to pass through waivers...

We have two guys running this organization who don't even understand the CBA...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad