Confirmed with Link: Shinkaruk to CGY for Granlund

Status
Not open for further replies.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
I can proudly say I've not given a single cent to the whole institution that is the NHL since the 2011 debacle. So nothing is going to change here in terms of that.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Checking out calgary's boards it appears a lot of people feel it's a parallel move? I think most are in favor of this trade but not everybody is keen on losing Granlund so that's a plus

I am ultimately disappointed but if it's any consolation - shinky had a long way to go before he was effective in the pros, I however felt he would have made it

This didn't make my Monday any better

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
thankfully I was busy this afternoon and didn't have a chance to post right after I heard this news...
With a few hours of digestion this is what I think:
-Shinkaruk is a little overrated in this market. Reading the reports from Utica he is a ways away from being a legitimate NHLer. He can score at the AHL level but he fades in games. Overall the sense I get from the Uitica faithful is that his stats overrepresent his value. However, he has significant upside with a chance (albeit small) to be a 25-30 goal top six forward.
-Granlund has a decent resume for a 2nd round pick. Based on play to date he projects as a 3rd line centre with 15-20g/20-25a upside.
All that said, the Canucks reduced the risk profile of a prospect. They gave up the potential of Shinkaruk for the more certain performance of Granlund now. Unfortunately, I think what they've simply done is give up the potential of Shinkaruk in 2 or 3 years to lock in his downside now.....

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
So pissed off about this trade when will this **** show end? For the love of god no one wants to watch this **** anymore! Look at the stands there's hardly anyone there I got offered tickets for the game Vs Islanders and turned it down we're tired of this act it's time to start fresh maybe fans will actually give a **** and attend games :rant:

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
And there's people defending this debacle :facepalm:

Perfect pic for this exact situation:
:sarcasm:
6a00d83451b52369e2019b03296647970d-550wi

WhoseLainesItAnyway

Sep 20, 2014
Granlund is an awful return. Regardless of what you think of Shinkaruk.

Flames fans are saying he's better than Baertschi who has come along nicely. He's made some nice plays in the games I've seen him in. He's still young enough to improve, only 22 years old which is only 1 year older than Shinkaruk. I don't know if I'm willing to say it's an awful return because both players are still young. FWIW Granlund has tracked better than Shinkaruk at the AHL level.

I don't disagree that Shinkaruk was overrated as a prospect.

But he still had value, and could have been used to help this team moving forward.

Instead we traded him for a kinda crappy middle-6 center who couldn't cut it with the Flames and is about to be waiver eligible, on a team that already had middle-6 centers coming out of our ears.

I suspect neither player will amount to much. But that it will be a failure to capitalize on the value that Shinkaruk had.

Exactly. I'm not a huge fan of this deal, mostly because I was excited about the prospect of Shinkaruk and Etem having chemistry, but the reaction here has been comically disproportionate.

Sure he still had value but how much value he has is pure speculation. We don't know what GM's think of these players and what we could've gotten. All we know is Shinkaruk isn't an NHL player. I would've rather gotten a defender or a pick but why not wait and see how this trade fits into the overall scheme that management has for this team before calling for their heads? (not accusing you of this) Especially for such an inconsequential move.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
If the Nucks winning last night actually put into their head they could potentially make the playoffs, I think I might stay away from any lines of communication on Monday.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Checking out calgary's boards it appears a lot of people feel it's a parallel move? I think most are in favor of this trade but not everybody is keen on losing Granlund so that's a plus

I am ultimately disappointed but if it's any consolation - shinky had a long way to go before he was effective in the pros, I however felt he would have made it

This didn't make my Monday any better

I don't really care what Calgary people think. These are folks who were content with Poirier over Shinkaruk.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I would definitely make a pledge if not logging back on to HFBoards would make a difference in any way.

I will pledge not to turn on Sportsnet or CBC and watch a game, though, or listen on TSN 1040. I also wouldn't have anything to do with brands associated with this team until they fire the clowns and hire competent people.

Oh well, I have watch the game for 2 month and have go to a single game this whole season.
All o does to follow now is Twitter and HFboard.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Someone should start a petition for Boycott the Canucks and Israel too

Guaranteed to get millions of signers in days.

Doubt it. HF seems like a big community to start one, but there is an even bigger fanbase of Canucks fans that support blindly.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
Sure he still had value but how much value he has is pure speculation. We don't know what GM's think of these players and what we could've gotten. All we know is Shinkaruk isn't an NHL player. I would've rather gotten a defender or a pick but why not wait and see how this trade fits into the overall scheme that management has for this team before calling for their heads? (not accusing you of this) Especially for such an inconsequential move.

pretty tired seeing after every single indefensible move that benning makes, whether it be via contract or trade, that the defence made is that it's an inconsequential move that doesn't really matter

regardless of the fact it's a terrible argument for anything, the idea that a series of illogical moves will not lead to more illogical moves in the future is mental

doesn't matter what shinkaruk will / won't do in the future...he had value NOW, and it was wasted by trading him for a low upside forward in granlund who is already redundant within the organization

same defence was made after the kesler trade, sbisa/dorsett extensions, lack trade, ect...it's death by a thousand cuts except that this one hurts more

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
The thing is even if Granlund develops to his ceiling of a ~30 point player, what kind of value does he hold? In the current market place what does a ~30 point player who's soft and plays easy minutes get you? A guy like Matthieau Perrault who was coming of a ~50 point season with excellent analytics wasn't even qualified by his team because he was soft.

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
At first I think this trade was for Mikael Granlund and I was happy....and then I saw it wasn't.

Just when you think Benning can't get any worse, he goes and pulls this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad