Speculation: Shero personally scouting COL-MIN game on 2/14

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
If the price is right, and he's better than the rest you're actually targeting. Not the Ryan's, Clowe's, but the, Seto's, Kulemin's and such, it does make sense because, he's a better player than them. Probably won't cost much more either.

The real point is we don't know if he'll work, but we have two great lines for him to try, and as I pointed out already, he'll still get plenty of C minutes. Injuries, and in game situations arise all the time.

This is how I see it. Plus, we don't know the asking price or what other deals are going down. If the price is, say a blueliner or prospect and Sutter, do you do it? Of course. What if you flip Sutter for a wing in a separate deal? End of the day, you now have a better 3rd line C, and you have a hole to put him in.

People are being way too rigid here. As usual. :laugh:

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Probably but for some reason LeBrun and McGuire both felt the need to specifically mention the Pens in interviews when talking about the ROR situation and where he may wind up. I don't think he will ultimately wind up here but we do have loads of D prospects which they supposedly need and they also prefer to send him east. It's highly unlikely but worth discussing for some of those reasons.

I hear Gardiner, the Leafs top D prospect, has concussion issues, so we could be the "next best thing", so to speak.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I'd imagine O'Reilly isn't holding out so he can go to another team to play 3C. Cup Contender or not, his skillset warrants a larger offensive role.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
This is how I see it. Plus, we don't know the asking price or what other deals are going down. If the price is, say a blueliner or prospect and Sutter, do you do it? Of course. What if you flip Sutter for a wing in a separate deal? End of the day, you now have a better 3rd line C, and you have a hole to put him in.

Just put Vitale in the 3C, aswell as 4C. He would be better.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

A big part of the Staal trade was getting ourselves cap space by paying our 3rd line center 3rd line money. We need top 6 wings, we don't need a 3rd line center upgrade. And isn't the whole reason he's available at all because he doesn't want to play 3rd line center?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
And as for Staal, well, I counter with Lemieux. :naughty: Some players can, some players can't. I'll confess I don't know what ROR did in his salad days, but it's not as impossible as you're making it out to be. That said, I'll agree to disagree on it, since ROR isn't exactly my pet project here. :laugh:

I don't think it's impossible, at all.

I just don't see the point in going all in on that guy just to have to gamble further by trying to play him out of position. Knowing it might very well not work because, as you said... some can and some can't.

But yeah... no biggie. It won't happen, anyway.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
A big part of the Staal trade was getting ourselves cap space by paying our 3rd line center 3rd line money. We need top 6 wings, we don't need a 3rd line center upgrade.

And I doubt Shero is looking to move Sutter already. Our ability to retain him longterm on the cheap is huge for us. It's time to build around Sid/Geno, this season should make it painfully obvious to Shero we need more talent around our star players.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
We could try him out, but not at 5M, more 3M. If he does not workout for us, we can ship him out in a package deal to land a big fish. O'Reilly, Despres, 1st. Imagine that year we did not have Crosby and Malkin for the playoffs? we'd have O'Reilly and Sutter now, instead of just Staal and Letestu.

Paying for potential has been done before, would we bulk at 4.0 if that's what he wants, if he's being slotted in the top six for that potential?

He'll be appealing even at 4.0, but surely it would be nice to sign him for less.

Last part is why I like this so much more.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

mpp9/Ogrezilla have that covered below. I'm going under the assumption we're keeping both O'Reilly and Sutter. He'll get his minutes at C. Could he really be all that bad as a third wheel to Malkin at worst considering all the players tried out there?

I'm thinking we're not looking for long-term wingers after this move. The rest now is just, meh, after looking at O'Reilly as a possibility.

I'd imagine O'Reilly isn't holding out so he can go to another team to play 3C. Cup Contender or not, his skillset warrants a larger offensive role.

A big part of the Staal trade was getting ourselves cap space by paying our 3rd line center 3rd line money. We need top 6 wings, we don't need a 3rd line center upgrade. And isn't the whole reason he's available at all because he doesn't want to play 3rd line center?

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Paying for potential has been done before, would we bulk at 4.0 if that's what he wants, if he's being slotted in the top six for that potential?

He'll be appealing even at 4.0, but surely it would be nice to sign him for less.

Last part is why I like this so much more.

A season like this we could use the extra depth, with so many games clumped together, and because there are so many GP each month, injuries will be plenty, which you can see happening as we speak. Many teams with tons of injuries. For that reason perhaps we can get O'Reilly without giving up a roster player (1st round pick+prospects to be had), meaning we are filthy stacked in C, aswell as D, as we get to keep Niskanen/Despres. Maybe go for Seto, just because we may be able to get him and Clutterbuck for TK, and Maatta? then we are stacked on the wing aswell, then we will be ready.

Crosby, Malkin, O'Reilly, Sutter...NOBODY can match us down the middle, NOBODY.

Letang, Niskanen, Orpik, Martin, Despres, Eng, Bort...that's pretty deep right there.

Seto, Kunitz, Neal, (O'Reilly since he would be a winger for us), Clutterbuck, Cooke, Dupuis...We would be as deep as you could get in a cap world.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I suppose the biggest issue with Staal on wing was his footspeed wasn't there for stop and start skating along the boards. In addition to needing him down the middle to go up against top lines. Sort of the situation O'Reilly has for the Avs. Stastny and Duchene are best at center and his greatest worth to that team is being a two way beast down the middle.

We have the center in Sutter to go up against top lines so O'Reilly wouldn't need to worry about getting thrown down with third liners. So that could entice him to sign here if he feels he can play wing.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I suppose the biggest issue with Staal on wing was his footspeed wasn't there for stop and start skating along the boards. In addition to needing him down the middle to go up against top lines. Sort of the situation O'Reilly has for the Avs. Stastny and Duchene are best at center and his greatest worth to that team is being a two way beast down the middle.

We have the center in Sutter to go up against top lines so O'Reilly wouldn't need to worry about getting thrown down with third liners. So that could entice him to sign here if he feels he can play wing.

The all C line when we need a goal, heh.

Sutter-Crosby-Malkin-O'Reilly-Vitale :laugh:

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
A season like this we could use the extra depth, with so many games clumped together, and because there are so many GP each month, injuries will be plenty, which you can see happening as we speak. Many teams with tons of injuries. For that reason perhaps we can get O'Reilly without giving up a roster player (1st round pick+prospects to be had), meaning we are filthy stacked in C, aswell as D, as we get to keep Niskanen/Despres. Maybe go for Seto, just because we may be able to get him and Clutterbuck for TK, and Maatta? then we are stacked on the wing aswell, then we will be ready.

Crosby, Malkin, O'Reilly, Sutter...NOBODY can match us down the middle, NOBODY.

Letang, Niskanen, Orpik, Martin, Despres, Eng, Bort...that's pretty deep right there.

Seto, Kunitz, Neal, (O'Reilly since he would be a winger for us), Clutterbuck, Cooke, Dupuis...We would be as deep as you could get in a cap world.

We need to give up a roster player of worth, and if they're looking for D-help, and it comes down to Niskanen/Despres. Pick your poison, and then add in, Dumoulin, and maybe a pick depending on the roster player they want.

AgentM

Jan 4, 2008
Allison Park, PA
I posted this earlier concerning O'Reilly's ability to play wing. I asked the Colorado fans about him and they were pretty adamant that he would be much less effective at wing. I'll take their opinion of him as the best barometer and not push for getting him here over a natural wing.

Here are their views on O'Reilly:

The Avalanche are desperate for defense and defensive prospects.

The word is that Sherman wants proven player and a top prospect for O'Reilly.

To answer your first question, no, I cant see O'Reilly playing on the wing. I dont think you would get the maxium out of him if he played there.

Yea I don't quite get the interest from the Pens perspective either, unless they are really trying hard to replace Staal as a 3rd line center.

O'Reilly's never played wing with the Avs since he broke into the league I believe. I think he'd be pretty useless in that position. He's not the most talented player offensively, but he does have good vision and anticipation. I think he would be significantly less effective both offensively and defensively on the wing. He needs to be at center to play to his strengths.

I can't imagine anyone wanting to play O'Reilly on the wing. He's 100% a center.

Malkin to wing is one option, I guess but I'm not sure if that'd be ideal for you guys.

This, unless Pitt has a trade offer for a winger they really want involving Sutter.

I'd say any one of (Which ever Avs management wants) Morrow, Despres, Pouliot and a plus. The problem is that non of Pitts defenders are remotely proven and they are not going to part with a roster player, so we would probably have to take a 1st rounder and risk it being #30th over all. (Not sure I'm down with that or that Avs management would be either.)

I don't really like Pitt as a trading partner... They would need to over pay seriously in prospects without giving us a roster player. I also think O'Reilly would see the same type of situation in Pitt there is in Colorado where there is two centers ahead of him for ice time. Possibly causing him to make contract talks difficult, but you never know as much of a contender as Pitt is.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I posted this earlier concerning O'Reilly's ability to play wing. I asked the Colorado fans about him and they were pretty adamant that he would be much less effective at wing. I'll take their opinion of him as the best barometer and not push for getting him here over a natural wing.

Here are their views on O'Reilly:

Dallas fans told us Neal looked like crap on RW too. ;)

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Is there actually any information on shero being interested in ROR or is everybody just going by the fact that lebrun said the pens asked abour ROR.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Steep asking price for O'Reilly as expected. Avs reportedly asked for Del Zotto + another really good asset from the Rangers and the Rangers apparently baulked.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Steep asking price for O'Reilly as expected. Avs reportedly asked for Del Zotto + another really good asset from the Rangers and the Rangers apparently baulked.

As they should. They won't get a top roster player. Not if there's a + good great asset/prospect/pick added.

They can ask, but doubt any GM knowing the situation will give that kind of return.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Haha true, but obviously the move from center to wing is a bit different than from switching wings.

It all depends on how much you have in the player to adapt and play with an elite talent. I don't think it's even a question that O'Reilly could.

I know people are a bit spooked because of the Staal conundrum, but O'Reilly's a much more aware offensive player than Staal, who could be a doofus when it came to making plays.

SteelFish87*

Lol at everyone here talking about getting O'Reilly. Not gonna happen

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
It all depends on how much you have in the player to adapt and play with an elite talent. I don't think it's even a question that O'Reilly could.

I know people are a bit spooked because of the Staal conundrum, but O'Reilly's a much more aware offensive player than Staal, who could be a doofus when it came to making plays.

Ill give you that. From what I've seen of him, he's a very smart player who sees the ice well. And obviously his intangibles are a given.

AgentM

Jan 4, 2008
Allison Park, PA

Those fans of the Avs that I quoted don't think he'd make the transition well and they've been watching him way more than any of us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad