Speculation: Shero personally scouting COL-MIN game on 2/14

nhindian

Jul 4, 2009
I like how all this ROR talk exploded after Shero was seen in MN vs. COL.

ROR wasn't even playing in that game!

He makes zero sense for the Pens. He's never played wing, and his biggest strength is his high-end defensive play, which gets hampered if he does play on the wing.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
he would be more expensive in both assets and salary cap. By a country mile? I'm not sure. That really is the question. Well that and what else are we going to spend our salary or assets on.

I agree that he's a guy you want on your team. Plays a 200 ft game and can create offense on his own. But you have to think Shero is pretty hesitant not having seen him play a shift on the wing. Especially when you're talking about moving high end assets.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Id like if we got Cal Clutterbuck, do something in swapping out TK for him. It does nothing to solve our top 6 winger problem. But it would make our bottom 6 better. Which we are going to need a tougher and better bottom 6 for the playoffs.

And I think a line of Cooke - Sutter - Clutterbuck would be a perfect playoff 3rd line.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

He makes zero sense for the Pens. He's never played wing, and his biggest strength is his high-end defensive play, which gets hampered if he does play on the wing.

He's a better offensive player than he gets credit for. Could very well become one of the better two way forwards in the game in the very near future. But can he be that playing wing?

Would we outbid another team who would use him as their defacto #1C? Unlikely.

As for scouting the Col/MN game. Maybe he's looking at another piece to finish the deal. No doubt Shero is looking to find an upgrade over TK. Clutterbuck and McGinn are.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Id like if we got Cal Clutterbuck, do something in swapping out TK for him. It does nothing to solve our top 6 winger problem. But it would make our bottom 6 better. Which we are going to need a tougher and better bottom 6 for the playoffs.

And I think a line of Cooke - Sutter - Clutterbuck would be a perfect playoff 3rd line.

I would love it. I just don't see why they would have any interest in moving him.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I have nothing against O'Reilly as a player; in fact I think he's going to be a great two-way #2 center. But I just don't see how it makes sense for the Pens. Crosby/Malkin/Sutter/Vitale. Where is O'Reilly going to play?

If you're going to pay the price it will cost to acquire O'Reilly, why not pay it to acquire a natural winger with similar ability/upside? Just makes so much more sense.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
There's no doubt he's a special player. But is he at wing? I dunno. Good news for us if Shero believes he can b/c we look like decent trade partners.

It's a question that can't be answered except for actually doing it. How many times have we seen centers play wing or wingers play center. The gifted players generally do fine. It also takes time, no more than adding a player to the team in their natural position finding out. O'Reilly is to gifted to not work out here, and we're not talking Tangradi, Jeffrey, Boychuk level player here. Think Staal 3rd/4th year level. He goes to the dirty areas, corners, PK's.

They have two lines to figure something out.

nhindian

Jul 4, 2009
It's a question that can't be answered except for actually doing it. How many times have we seen centers play wing or wingers play center. The gifted players generally do fine. It also takes time, no more than adding a player to the team in their natural position finding out. O'Reilly is to gifted to not work out here, and we're not talking Tangradi, Jeffrey, Boychuk level player here. Think Staal 3rd/4th year level. He goes to the dirty areas, corners, PK's.

They have two lines to figure something out.

Switching positions isn't something players can always do, even talented ones. Look at Malkin on the wing... he works much, much better at center.

That difference is magnified so much more when looking at someone like ROR, who's claim to fame is NOT his offensive prowess, but his near-Selke caliber defense. That ability PLUMMETS when moved from center.

It makes NO sense.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
The more shero waits the more i get excited. I expect shero to make a trade within the last week before the trade deadline. I think if he is interested in ROR he is waiting for the price to be lowered to a prospect and player. If we were to offersheet him and colorado didnt accept would we get to choose which years first round pick(s) we give up?

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007

LeBrun said we've talked to Colorado about O'Reilly. He's very credible. That's why the talk has been going on.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

Cooke-Sutter-Clutterbuck
McGinn-Vitale-Adams

YES PLEASE!!!!! If that's not a playoff bound bottom 6, i don't know what is.

Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Seto-Crosby-Dupuis
Cooke-Sutter-Clutterbuck
McGinn-Vitale-Adams

If this forard lineup gets destroyed in the playoffs in 4-5 games of the 1st round, and look completly useless, SOMETHING DRASTIC would have to be done.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

This ROR talk exploded when 2 sources said Shero was inquiring. The talk before that was all Clutterbuck, Seto for Niskanen,TK talk.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I have nothing against O'Reilly as a player; in fact I think he's going to be a great two-way #2 center. But I just don't see how it makes sense for the Pens. Crosby/Malkin/Sutter/Vitale. Where is O'Reilly going to play?

If you're going to pay the price it will cost to acquire O'Reilly, why not pay it to acquire a natural winger with similar ability/upside? Just makes so much more sense.

I couldn't agree more.

I have no idea why this team would want to burn up assets to bring in O'Reilly. Not that he isn't a terrific player, in his own right. I guess. But because it doesn't address needs even in the slightest. Unless we really want to get back on the "playing guys out of their comfort zone/natural position" carousel, again.

If that's the case... chalk another one up to this team trying to get too cute for it's own good, again.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I couldn't agree more.

I have no idea why this team would want to burn up assets to bring in O'Reilly. Not that he isn't a terrific player, in his own right. I guess. But because it doesn't address needs even in the slightest. Unless we really want to get back on the "playing guys out of their comfort zone/natural position" carousel, again.

If that's the case... chalk another one up to this team trying to get too cute for it's own good, again.

As an isolated move, sure. But it's not stupid if other moves are made/in other contexts.

Besides, plenty of players have played out of position here. Just because Malkin can't doesn't mean it's impossible for everyone.

Also, not to rag on you, Willy, but weren't you advocating for Jeffery to play wing a few threads ago? What's the difference?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Because he's actually done it before and not looked out of place... at all?

Didn't he even play large chunks of seasons in WB/S on the LW?

I could very well be completely out in left field, on that one.

Last edited:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Besides, plenty of players have played out of position here. Just because Malkin can't doesn't mean it's impossible for everyone.

...and it isn't just a Malkin thing.

Let's remember that Staal couldn't/wouldn't move to the wing.

Hence, much of the reason he no longer plays here.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Switching positions isn't something players can always do, even talented ones. Look at Malkin on the wing... he works much, much better at center.

That difference is magnified so much more when looking at someone like ROR, who's claim to fame is NOT his offensive prowess, but his near-Selke caliber defense. That ability PLUMMETS when moved from center.

It makes NO sense.

If the price is right, and he's better than the rest you're actually targeting. Not the Ryan's, Clowe's, but the, Seto's, Kulemin's and such, it does make sense because, he's a better player than them. Probably won't cost much more either.

The real point is we don't know if he'll work, but we have two great lines for him to try, and as I pointed out already, he'll still get plenty of C minutes. Injuries, and in game situations arise all the time.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I have a feeling every GM in the league has talked to Colorado about O'Reilly.

Probably but for some reason LeBrun and McGuire both felt the need to specifically mention the Pens in interviews when talking about the ROR situation and where he may wind up. I don't think he will ultimately wind up here but we do have loads of D prospects which they supposedly need and they also prefer to send him east. It's highly unlikely but worth discussing for some of those reasons.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Because he's actually done it before and not looked out of place... at all?

Didn't he even play large chunks of seasons in WB/S on the LW?

I could very well be completely out in left field, on that one.

I'm pretty sure he was mostly center in WB/S. But who knows? That's ancient history, man. :laugh:

And as for Staal, well, I counter with Lemieux. :naughty: Some players can, some players can't. I'll confess I don't know what ROR did in his salad days, but it's not as impossible as you're making it out to be. That said, I'll agree to disagree on it, since ROR isn't exactly my pet project here. :laugh:

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
If the price is right, and he's better than the rest you're actually targeting. Not the Ryan's, Clowe's, but the, Seto's, Kulemin's and such, it does make sense because, he's a better player than them. Probably won't cost much more either.

The real point is we don't know if he'll work, but we have two great lines for him to try, and as I pointed out already, he'll still get plenty of C minutes. Injuries, and in game situations arise all the time.

We could try him out, but not at 5M, more 3M. If he does not workout for us, we can ship him out in a package deal to land a big fish. O'Reilly, Despres, 1st. Imagine that year we did not have Crosby and Malkin for the playoffs? we'd have O'Reilly and Sutter now, instead of just Staal and Letestu.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad