Sheldon Keefe out in Toronto

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I am watching this press conference, and the fact that none of the guys are pinpointing what the problem is but continue with platitudes of "we want to make this team successful" and "we strive to be better" is symptomatic of the core problem. At least Keefe was honest, forthright and has the integrity to say that performance has been a failure. These guys are part of the problem if they can't admit that. Seems like excuses are being made with general comments.

I am watching it too and it looks like the Leafs management don't want to hurt the feelings of their core players. Soft as butter ownership.

Because coming out and saying we are trading Mitch Marner when A) They likely haven't even talked to his agent about it being so soon after the season and dealing with a coaching change and B) Give up any leverage in a trade when teams know they have to trade him and C) Give Marner even more leverage would have been the right move?

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
How does it work if a team like NJ hires him tomorrow? Does he keep collecting his money due to him from the Leaf contract while concurrently collecting a new salary from the contract he signs with his new team?

If he can double-dip, kudos to Keefe!

CJV123

Feb 4, 2010
Awesome question in the presser regarding the 11 goals in 8 seventh games.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
How does it work if a team like NJ hires him tomorrow? Does he keep collecting his money due to him from the Leaf contract while concurrently collecting a new salary from the contract he signs with his new team?

If he can double-dip, kudos to Keefe!
I don't know if the rules have changed since 2015, but Oilers gave up a 2nd to hire the fired Chiarelli, and a 3rd to hire the fired McLellan. The article stated in Chia's case that Boston was also freed of the final portion of the terminated contract.
Edit: Nevermind, that rule was abolished the same season.. After the oilers paid lol

Reactions: Playing With Fire

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Maybe I am wrong. I remember it was the new team paid whatever they paid, and then the old team paid the balance (if the new team paid less than the old contract).

Yeah, the old team would make up the difference but they would also need to give the other team approval to hire them. So if Keefe was making 2M and NJ decided hey we can just pay you 50K and Toronto will pay the rest! Toronto can reject it. Generally, the new team covers the whole portion because the old team has no obligation to pay a coach to coach for a competitor and has the right to refuse in those cases.

Otherwise, low budget teams would just seek out fired coaches with contracts remaining and offer them lowball contracts solely to stay relevant while the coach is being paid by their old team. The old team has every right to reject the new contract if they're the ones paying.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Hahahahaha.

When Matthews doesn’t score, Marner does nothing again…fire the coach I guess.
It’s not his fault the top players can’t play big boy hockey when it matters. Matthews is being paid like Mcdavid and isn’t even In the same stratosphere. Dude was invisible and had his best playoff game ever in round 1 game 2 of this year..like what, 8 years in? Great consistency. Hahaha. Mcdavid is freakin doubling him in playoff points career wise and they’ve played pretty much the same amount of playoff games. Lol

Reactions: FiveFourteenSixOne

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
Maybe I am wrong. I remember it was the new team paid whatever they paid, and then the old team paid the balance (if the new team paid less than the old contract).

Doesn't make sense because how about if the new team says Ill pay you nothing and the old team pays the balance of what he has now...

I could be wrong tho

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
Good coach, past time to get a new voice in Toronto. I think he'll have success elsewhere and I wish him the best.

Awesome and classy farewell message.

Reactions: robertmac43

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I’m hoping the Leafs go with Bruce Boudreau. Currently they’re a club feeling pretty down. They need a coach who will pick them up and not beat them down even more. Bruce has a history of making the game fun for his players. Like to see him behind the Leafs bench.

• Haha
Reactions: Egghead1999

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Doesn't make sense because how about if the new team says Ill pay you nothing and the old team pays the balance of what he has now...

I could be wrong tho
It is because the old team need to paid the full amount in the old days.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Hope Devils really sign him up. He's a good coach and still young. Playoffs woes are overblown bc of Leafs recent drought and terrible "luck" getting really tough teams in the 1st round

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
I don't know if the rules have changed since 2015, but Oilers gave up a 2nd to hire the fired Chiarelli, and a 3rd to hire the fired McLellan. The article stated in Chia's case that Boston was also freed of the final portion of the terminated contract.
Edit: Nevermind, that rule was abolished the same season.. After the oilers paid lol

That rule lasted 1 year because Detroit owner complained about potentially losing staff. No thought was put into the rule and once Detroit got the picks, he then quickly backtracked and ended it.

Reactions: ZJuice

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Leafs should hire Bruce Boudreau, players will love him!

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I cannot believe he is getting offers already. His regular season success was mainly cause he had a highly skilled team. And he couldn't put them iver the hump in the playoffs.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Boudreau would be a terrible hire. He doesn't hold his players accountable enough just like Keefe didn't for most of his tenure. That doesn't neccessarily mean Leafs need an hardass and especially not someone who is a dick about it like Babcock but they need someone that demands from his players to go above and beyond and installs great habits into the team . I'm not sure that can be done with the whole core so trade whoever doesn't want that.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad