Sheldon Keefe out in Toronto

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
His structure works in the reg season.

He doesn't adapt in the ploffs, and has been figured out by coaches who gameplan for it.
Didn't he say something along the lines of "teams come in and wait for the Toronto Maple Leafs to beat themselves"? He pretty much said it himself

Reactions: dukeofjive

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
What else did we expect? Hold the players accountable?

Keefe's contract extension hasn't even kicked in yet either

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: HabsQC and DamonDRW

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
Soft, weak, fragile and heartless. 5 decades plus of doing the wrong things and expecting success despite continuous failure.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
They probably find the most experienced coach with success or try and bribe Jon Cooper.

The best one I think they go after is Todd McLellan.

Off topic, one guy I think people are sleeping on is Jeff Halpern.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
He was right about being in love with Zach Hyman as well.

I remember Leafs fans complaining about him being on a line with Matthews.
Yeah Hyman today is the Hyman that first entered the league :eyeroll:

People were annoyed he was permanently stapled to his side his entire rookie season. Hyman finished with 28 points in 82 games. Matthews led the team with 69.

The revisionist history on this site is always on another level.

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
Should've been fired immediately after the handshake line comment

They need a coach who knows how to establish a winning culture, not some sadistic authoritarian but a real leader

Dallas Eakins is the perfect fit.
Toronto Marlies boy, chop woods carry water...
The real question is: Can Matthews learn how to play the swarm.

2025 cup incoming!

Danarqhy

Oct 27, 2022
Check Republic
youtube.com
What else did we expect? Hold the players accountable?

Keefe's contract extension hasn't even kicked in yet either
HTF do you hand out an extension to a coach if you're not willing to commit to him past 1 season, with the extension kicking after that 1 season? We all knew Keefe was gone if he didn't achieve anything this post season yet he was still given an extension. Comical levels of mismanagement in Leafland. :laugh:

Crazy Monkey

Aug 9, 2009
Ain't happening.
Marner would be wise to play out his contract, test the UFA market and watch the leafs get nothing.
Well then I hope he has an incredible contract year for the Leafs next season. We can enjoy the cap space after that

Reactions: nORRis8

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
The press is on right now. Can't wait to hear about the hiring of Jay Woodcroft as the Leafs new head coach. :popcorn:

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
HTF do you hand out an extension to a coach if you're not willing to commit to him past 1 season, with the extension kicking after that 1 season? We all knew Keefe was gone if he didn't achieve anything this post season yet he was still given an extension. Comical levels of mismanagement in Leafland. :laugh:

They did it intentionally. The Leafs always extend coaches they're going to fire as a sort of severance pay. They treat their coaches well even when letting them go. Probably to make it more desireable for future coaches to want to coach there.

They did the exact same thing with Ron Wilson, Carlyle, etc. Basically every full-time coach that was on an expiring deal got a multi year extension right before they were fired.

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
The press is on right now. Can't wait to hear about the hiring of Jay Woodcroft as the Leafs new head coach. :popcorn:
I am watching this press conference, and the fact that none of the guys are pinpointing what the problem is but continue with platitudes of "we want to make this team successful" and "we strive to be better" is symptomatic of the core problem. At least Keefe was honest, forthright and has the integrity to say that performance has been a failure. These guys are part of the problem if they can't admit that. Seems like excuses are being made with general comments.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
I am watching this press conference, and the fact that none of the guys are pinpointing what the problem is but continue with platitudes of "we want to make this team successful" and "we strive to be better" is symptomatic of the core problem. At least Keefe was honest, forthright and has the integrity to say that performance has been a failure. These guys are part of the problem if they can't admit that. Seems like excuses are being made with general comments.

I am watching it too and it looks like the Leafs management don't want to hurt the feelings of their core players. Soft as butter ownership.

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
I am watching it too and it looks like the Leafs management don't want to hurt the feelings of their core players. Soft as butter ownership.
The reporters are asking the right questions. Management are serving up softball generalist answers. Herein lines the core problem. Stubbornness and staying entrenched in a particular position and philosophy when the results clearly show contrary to their vision, is this organization's downfall, which is why ultimately unless Shanahan is gone, nothing substantive will change.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
The reporters are asking the right questions. Management are serving up softball generalist answers. Herein lines the core problem. Stubbornness and staying entrenched in a particular position and philosophy when the results clearly show contrary to their vision, is this organization's downfall, which is why ultimately unless Shanahan is gone, nothing substantive will change.

This management is not good enough. They say they want to win and will do anything blah blah blah but won't even provide any details in terms of an action plan. Just say that they are breaking up the Core 4 this summer and everyone has their answers.

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
This management is not good enough. They say they want to win and will do anything blah blah blah but won't even provide any details in terms of an action plan. Just say that they are breaking up the Core 4 this summer and everyone has their answers

I don't know if Shanahan realize what he just said at the end there. He said that they have to assess the team at the end of this season. The reporter said well, why didn't you do this last year. He said they do it every year.

That makes this even worse. If the results of their assessment results in the same results one has to question either the methodology of the assessment and more to the point, whether the people doing the assessment are the right people for the job.

So imagine this mentality and culture permeating throughout the organization. No wonder the on ice product has remained stagnant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad