Player Discussion Sheldon Keefe - All encompassing galaxy brain discussion

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Maybe it's not the greatest idea to take a team that was 7th in the league defensively in two out of the past three seasons, and add to their defense corps...

- a guy who was the #4 on the most catastrophic defensive team in a generation
- a guy who was the #6 on a team that spent most of the season outside of a playoff spot and finished the season -37 in GD
- a guy who was the #6 on the 3rd worst team in the NHL this season...

... And put them all in your top 6 to start the playoffs, and the latter one right onto your top pairing, no less...

... At the expense of the very player whose arrival on the team coincided with its improved defensive performance. Who played the most EV/SH minutes on the team that entire time.

What did you expect? That the team would become a defensive juggernaut? These players could barely earn minutes on bad teams, and we expect to improve our team by taking them and giving them heavier roles than they could earn elsewhere?

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
He shouldn't have been brought back for this season to begin with. Tonight was just a masterclass of terrible coaching.
Imagine being so stupid you re hired Keefe? Other teams marvelled at his inability to adjust. I know, Samsonov is 5 and 10 in the playoffs. Lets put him in again! ROFL. This franchsie is world class garbage.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
He shouldn't have been brought back for this season to begin with. Tonight was just a masterclass of terrible coaching.
Trev had to buy himself a year to assess whats going on . Keefe was the scapegoat...for a three year contract. I said it in the other thread. I think Trev will replace Shanny, hire his own GM who will hire their own coach.

• Haha
Reactions: Larcos_Unal

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
That 3rd line needs McMann badly.

It doesn't fit in. The D corps and all the other lines play so hard, then this puff line comes out.

Top 6 didn't have any success but I liked how in your face they all played. Even Marner with the reverse check on Pasta that shook him a bit.

Reactions: TMLife17

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009

I've usually been somewhat indifferent towards Keefe. This is a bit odd though to say the least, and I quite like Jarnkrok.

Jarnkrok biggest value add is more defensively than a guy whose going to help you claw a game back offensively

That doesn't surprise me. We did have a lot of PK time

What's surprising is why was Knies out there on PK?

His first pk he almost gave up a goal, they hit the post
2nd PK knies was on they scored

Play Matthews if you have to. He's a threat

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

I've usually been somewhat indifferent towards Keefe. This is a bit odd though to say the least, and I quite like Jarnkrok.

Jarnkrok biggest value add is more defensively than a guy whose going to help you claw a game back offensively

Bertuzzi sucks, so there is that.

Robertson is not trustworthy at all.

Knies is up and down.

Domi I like more than Jarnkrok.

I think Jarnkrok on the PP has more to do with him being a righty than anything else, could be wrong though.

Jarnkrok also double-shifted for D zone draws on the Kampf line... his ice time seems fine to me.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

It looks a bit easier to understand if you break it down.

Both Bert and Domi took penalties, which cut into their ES time, and neither plays PP or PK.

Fourth at even strength behind the top line, and quite possibly more likely to score at ES than JT or Mitch. One of the main PK guys, and almost three minutes there.

I'm not sure why so much PP time - maybe Keefe thinks we need someone there who speaks Swedish? You're basically trying to replace the QB, so Jarnkrok I guess makes more sense than Bert or Domi (Bert was more effective than JT as the net front presence, but Keefe for some reason wants JT there).

Bottom line, though - if you try to make sense of Keefe's decisions, you'll hurt yourself.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Keefe.admits.hes.failing.png

Keefe at least admits he's a major problem.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
View attachment 857018

Keefe at least admits he's a major problem.

I'd say having undisciplined players is the job of the GM... not sure if Keefe told the guys to go get some high-sticking calls or Domi to slash Marchand.

Don't think he asked Reaves to take himself out of the play by chasing hits.

We signed a bunch of low IQ players, this is not new information... Hoping it was more the adrenaline than anything else.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

The 17mins is fine but why did Calle played 3mins on the PP?
Those mins should had gone to Bert, Domi, Knies and Robbie.

Reactions: Menzinger

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
This loser Keefe needs to win 1 game in the last 4 games.

1713749105634.png

Can't do it. So we end up playing the Bruins ... our nightmare scenario.

Pure idiocy.

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
the handshake line is gonna be absolutely buzzing

I am probably gonna get some shit for this but I detest the handshake line, always have and always will. Might as well give them a reach around after they bend you over. f*** that.

Keefe needs firing for this comedy level special teams.

HOW MANY YEARS of TOTAL lack of effort and effectiveness should be allowed ?

Joke.

Put Bertuzzi back on PP1 and have him create havoc in front of the net. Instead we got Tavares tipping the puck into Swayman's pads and Marner looking for the perfect pass. Bruins get it done even if its ugly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad