Player Discussion Sheldon Keefe - All encompassing galaxy brain discussion

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
When we replace Keefe, we are virtually guaranteed to have a better coach. A lateral move would just exascerbate the disaster.
If Keefe leaves or gets fired. We need to find a better coach of course. Yeah a lateral move wouldn't be a disaster: it would simply be an exercise in futility.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
If Keefe leaves or gets fired. We need to find a better coach of course. Yeah a lateral move wouldn't be a disaster: it would simply be an exercise in futility.
Keefes Xs and Os are fine. It's on the top players to work through playoff issues. That's entirely on them and not on any coach. He is not above criticism, but as long as he draws the line and controls ice time properly, the team knows what is expected of them.

In any sport I've been a part of I have never thought "we are losing because of our coach".

The key for Keefe will be in player selection come playoffs. He has to see the value in a player. Guys like Reaves who will "rah rah" the team. The type who probably dishes it out on teammates but can take some ribbing too. He will ALWAYS have teammates back though. That is his DNA.

We all know those types. Important in competitive sports and it sometimes takes a period of time to adjust to their personalities. As long as he is responsible defensively and knows when to do what, he is an asset. He contributes to the wins in his own manner.

Benoit is another type. Like the Boosh when he was here the first time, you can see he constantly wants to learn and improve. These are the guys in the trenches. They don't need anything but the knowledge that they did everything they could to win for the team. Not as vocal as a Muzzin but just as determined.

You cannot have enough of these players. Their types quietly win Cups.

You go down the line for the player choices Keefe has to make and it will most decide the teams outcome. At least that which is in their control. Even guys who don't play have a serious role. It is in being positive. Kessel won a ring and didn't sulk a minute as he sat out the entire playoff run.

Reactions: Gabriel426

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
True - a lateral move would just be continuing the futility of not having a proper NHL calibre coach.

alliuk12

Feb 1, 2011
Get keefe out of here a win against a team that is feeding off the bottom don’t make you a coach that is fit for the playoffs he has the best players to use it’s just knowing how to use them and in his career with the leafs I have never seen it

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
With certain players emerging in their roles I think you can spread out the core 4. Marner on the third line with McMann against Florida in the playoffs sounds like an enticing scenario.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
If we have an NHL calibre coach, why isn't he given the job instead of Keefe?
The team might decide to fire Keefe or he will quit, or leave when his contract is up, but currently Keefe is the coach of the team.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Any reason why Keefe held Matthews from getting an attempt for an ENG against NJD?
Kampfe (I think) didn't get the chance to get off just in the course of the game playing out. He got Domi and Bert out, was going for the line, but the C never made it off before empty netter.. Keefe had it lined up for AM to be out, just didn't pan out.

Reactions: Petrus and arso40

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I can see the narrative starting already. “Keefe stopped Matthews from getting 70”, just like “Keefe stopped Marner from getting 100 points.” I’m not a big Keefe fan. In fact I wanted him fired after the playoffs last year. But Keefe as a coach, can only control so much. If players aren’t hitting milestones before game 82, then it’s on them not Keefe. Keefe can’t move Kampf legs to the bench when the game doesn’t allow it at that moment. Ridiculous.

While I’m here, who would you rather have right now Torts or Keefe?

Reactions: Anthrax442

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I can see the narrative starting already. “Keefe stopped Matthews from getting 70”, just like “Keefe stopped Marner from getting 100 points.” I’m not a big Keefe fan. In fact I wanted him fired after the playoffs last year. But Keefe as a coach, can only control so much. If players aren’t hitting milestones before game 82, then it’s on them not Keefe. Keefe can’t move Kampf legs to the bench when the game doesn’t allow it at that moment. Ridiculous.

Agree with the first paragraph.
For the question, neither.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Imagine a discussion forum that analyzes every time you fack up at your job. No pressure, bud.
I would be ok with it under certain conditions, namely:

1712773279975.png

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009

Torts in Toronto would be an absolute nightmare. The players having to deal with the distraction of "What did you think of Tortorella's comments?" once a week would be nothing but bad news.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Torts in Toronto would be an absolute nightmare. The players having to deal with the distraction of "What did you think of Tortorella's comments?" once a week would be nothing but bad news.
Torts is not doing himself any favours, his next stop is gonna be in Russia with Mike Keenan.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
His recent comments about the 70 goal quest being a distraction - just shows how absolutely out of touch this clown is.

I can’t wait till he’s gone.

mclaren55

Apr 12, 2010
His recent comments about the 70 goal quest being a distraction - just shows how absolutely out of touch this clown is.

I can’t wait till he’s gone.
On the face of it, he isn't wrong. Sure its a huge individual accomplishment, but having everyone and their mother feeding someone pucks to get them to an individual milestone isn't helping with the X/Os of preparing for the playoffs.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
On the face of it, he isn't wrong. Sure its a huge individual accomplishment, but having everyone and their mother feeding someone pucks to get them to an individual milestone isn't helping with the X/Os of preparing for the playoffs.
Keefe’s Aunty, is that you?

He’s not doing it at the expense of the team. He plays 200 feet has an amazing +/-

He has 2 EN goals all year.

mclaren55

Apr 12, 2010
Keefe’s Aunty, is that you?

He’s not doing it at the expense of the team. He plays 200 feet has an amazing +/-

You don't understand my point. I never said Auston is sacrificing anything to get the goals, but it is apparent that everyone else on the ice with him is looking for him. That means they aren't focused on playing the "right" way, which is all any team should be concerned about at this point of the season.

Look at the results over the last 5 or so games, the proof is in the pudding.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
You don't understand my point. I never said Auston is sacrificing anything to get the goals, but it is apparent that everyone else on the ice with him is looking for him. That means they aren't focused on playing the "right" way, which is all any team should be concerned about at this point of the season.

Look at the results over the last 5 or so games, the proof is in the pudding.

That’s been my concern as well. Let’s see how they come out in game 1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad