Player Discussion Sheldon Keefe - All encompassing galaxy brain discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
He better stop f***ing around by "testing" his less qualified lines against top competition. Tampa is right on our tail now and the GWG last night was thanks to him throwing the f***ing fourth line out against Kucherov and Point. Enough bullshitting around.
I really don’t understand “testing” them. It’s keefes job to ensure that exact scenario doesn’t happen, and if it does than A. It’s a failure on him and B. The fourth line is never gonna get better by having them out like that, they’ll either get scored on, take a penalty, or the goalie will make a huge save.

But back to the point of a coach, to put players in positions to succeed, which keefe really seems to struggle to do

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
He better stop f***ing around by "testing" his less qualified lines against top competition. Tampa is right on our tail now and the GWG last night was thanks to him throwing the f***ing fourth line out against Kucherov and Point. Enough bullshitting around.
Ilya ‘s defensive coverage (not covering the front of the net) was the big gaff. And the fact he couldn’t prevent a pass out front while he was 2 feet from a guy was weird as well.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Ilya ‘s defensive coverage (not covering the front of the net) was the big gaff. And the fact he couldn’t prevent a pass out front while he was 2 feet from a guy was weird as well.
That was all on Kampf, even Keefe said so. Boosh takes a man behind the net, for some odd reason Kampf leaves the man out front to move to a double team on the lone TB player Boosh already had on the boards. Also look at Brodie on the play, why is he double teaming the point man?

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
That was all on Kampf,

well .... when you watch the play there are small mistakes everywhere.

I was right behind the net, and to see a guy so wide open was very weird.

Puck on left side of ice, right D covers the net. (applies, Ilya is the RD)
Puck on right side of ice, left D covers the net. (not applicable)

That's what I think should happen.

If Keefe thinks Ilya and Brodie can cover man to man he should be fired.

When I play Right D, and I'm on the left side of the ice, my first thought is I have to get back in front of the net. Ilya's apparent priority is the cover Kucherov behind the goal line. He also did not prevent a pass to the front of the net and it should have been quite easy. Top it off, he should have been thinking get in front of the net because Brodie wasn't in front of the net.

== Edit ===

On second sober thought, Kampf should realize he's covering the front of the net ... as no one is there, and he was also just doing it alone.

Yea, this is on Kampf.

I don't like man to man coverage for the Leafs. Their D aren't fast enough. Certainly Brodie and Ilya aren't.

Last edited:

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

Sure, but why is Kampf going to cover a man Boosh already has. The D is fluid here, Boosh isn't really out of position he's covering the man behind the net, Brodie is in no man land and Kampf doesn't recognize the play. Anyways, Keefe shouldn't have that line out there and his excuse of not trusting the third line, well you constructed it that way lol.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto

If Keefe thinks Ilya and Brodie can cover man to man he should be fired.

When I play Right D, and I'm on the left side of the ice, my first thought is I have to get back in front of the net. Ilya's apparent priority is the cover Kucherov behind the goal line. He also did not prevent a pass to the front of the net and it should have been quite easy. Top it off, he should have been thinking get in front of the net because Brodie wasn't in front of the net.

Sure, but why is Kampf going to cover a man Boosh already has. The D is fluid here, Boosh isn't really out of position he's covering the man behind the net, Brodie is in no man land and Kampf doesn't recognize the play. Anyways, Keefe shouldn't have that line out there and his excuse of not trusting the third line, well you constructed it that way lol.
Both valid points, I think that bottom line is this: It's amateur hour tactics

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
It's not as "useful" to second guess coaching IN RETROSPECT, after a problem happens. Hindsight is 20/20.

The pro move is predicting BEFORE events happen.

A week before playoffs, I'm going to start another Keefe will be outcoached thread. Last year HFBoards successfully predicted many of Keefe's playoff failures. It was embarrassing the media had to complain to get Keefe to stop overplaying Holl. And make no mistake about it, that's how the change occurred. He wouldn't have noticed Holl was like -9 after very few games.

Last edited:

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I actually don't mind that he's throwing out the bottom 6 against top competition at this point in the season. Our top players don't need to be playing for their lives every night, better to have them a bit more rested. And you never know when a bottom 6 player or line will be called on to move up, or get stuck on the ice unable to change. So the top guys get rested, the bottom get tested. I'm OK with that to a certain extent. But it shouldn't have happened in the last minutes of a close game, that's for sure.

My bigger issues with Keefe are his overreliance on TJ Brodie, he picked bad starts to give to Woll that hurt his confidence/groove, and he somehow can't find a place/use for Nylander.

Reactions: bax and arso40

weems

Jul 3, 2008

Kampf is extremely guilty of puck watching on this play.
Not once did he look over his shoulder to see if there was a unchecked player and was 100% focused on Duclair with the puck.
This is actually something our team falls into quite often in the dzone, where we get so fixated on the puck carrier and don't locate the defensive responsibility.

Reactions: egd27 and kevsh

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
The amount of times the Leafs leave the opposition wide open in the net front is incredible. Time and time again there is a complete breakdown and lack of any sort of individual awareness.

It is really something for them to collectively and repeatedly forget the basics of a game they have played their whole lives.

Don't even get me started on how awful most of the D are at taking away the pass on a 2-on-1..

Reactions: arso40

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
This is actually something our team falls into quite often in the dzone, where we get so fixated on the puck carrier and don't locate the defensive responsibility.

Yep, I've never seen a team collectively puck watch more than this group.
But that's what practices are for, to weed out the bad habits. Keefe has had 5 seasons to fix this, yet here we still are.

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
I actually don't mind that he's throwing out the bottom 6 against top competition at this point in the season. Our top players don't need to be playing for their lives every night, better to have them a bit more rested.
You'll see his inability to ice the best team and not be outcoached worsens during the playoffs. The problem is him, it's not situational.

Reactions: arso40
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad