Confirmed with Link: Sheahan extends contract by two years (2.075 AAV)

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
This should rule out Helm, at least in my book. Spending ~5M on those two seems like a no-go and I'm happy to go with the bigger and younger player. When you're spending on depth, go with the guys that might break out and find a bigger gear. That's Sheahan, not Helm & Miller.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
Big couple years for Riley. The hopes of second line center feel faded, but a strong defensive 3rd line center would be great.

It is impossible for him to have anything approaching as good of a shot to earn a larger role on the team than he's had between last year and this year.

If he can't get a larger role now, consider that ship forever sailed.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
I think this is a great signing. A mediocre 2015-16 left a bad impression in a lot of people's mouths, but the whole team had reduced output. I still have faith in a low end 2C ceiling for Sheahan and still believe he was one of our most valuable guys the year before.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
It is impossible for him to have anything approaching as good of a shot to earn a larger role on the team than he's had between last year and this year.

I think he has late bloomer potential in him. Bigger players do tend to hit their prime later. I'm less optimistic than I was during his rookie year but I haven't given up hope completely that he can hit another level.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
I think this is a great signing. A mediocre 2015-16 left a bad impression in a lot of people's mouths, but the whole team had reduced output. I still have faith in a low end 2C ceiling for Sheahan and still believe he was one of our most valuable guys the year before.

A very fair contract for both parties. Half of last year he looked like a 1m player and at other times a 3m player...I think his worth based on last season is somewhere about 1.5-1.75, but he did show a lot more later on. At worst he'll be an excellent 4th liner who is a short handed threat and fill in elsewhere and at best he could become a 2/3 centre who can do an excellent screen job on the PP.

I suspect he'll earn himself a decent raise over the next two years...

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

And yet... Justin Abdelkader.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Eh, you could argue that. But then you step back and realize that there is, I think, a lot more decision making that goes into RFA signings. Future contracts, comparables, is a bridge the right deal to make? Or should we sign this kid up long term and hope for cheap. Klingberg's contract is good example. If they had gone bridge route, which would've been a reasonable way to go since realistically you would have no idea if he could repeat or improve off of that one NHL season. They would probably be regretting that right about now. Sky appears to be the limit with that kid, next contract would have him getting PAID. But they went long term, some people already consider his contract a steal.

To me though, you look at what most people here or at other sites and what they predict our RFAs will get and it typically comes in under most predictions. Think most people were saying Sheahan will get around 2.5mil. 500k isn't a number to scoff at, that money adds up. Thats why I think Holland does an excellent job when it comes to RFA signings.

I disagree but that is an excellent explanation of how you feel. This was his second contract of a bottom 6 player with a public expectation on what he would make. Holland put in the terms made an appointment and a young kid became a millionaire. Not a lot of skill more than average is needed for that.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
And yet... Justin Abdelkader.

Abdelkader was a 12 minute night 4th line/2nd PK guy his first two and a half years, getting an IT bump in the second half of the shortened '13 season after the team went through a 5 game losing streak and the lines got shook up. Then he had a 2 goal and a 3 goal game and finished with 10 goals the last 30 or so games and then a couple more in the playoffs after that.

The next year was 2014, where the whole team was hurt the whole season, so he got a larger role and mostly underperformed in it.

Then 2015 rolled around and the team had very few top 6 options other than Abdelkader, so when he put up 20 he pretty much locked it in.

Sheahan's had pretty much the same chance Abdelkader's had. Probably a better one, given that he's lined up with better offensive players in his early career than Abdelkader had.

The primary difference between the two is that Abdelkader's got a more natural ability to score goals than Sheahan, and that's been the case since they both played college hockey. Don't get me wrong, they aren't renaming it the Justin Abdelkader Award for Goal Scoring or anything, but still.

Also, it doesn't hurt that Abdelkader will fight. It's becoming a lost art, but it's still marginally valuable to have someone who will thump the other guy if they run at your star.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Abdelkader was a 12 minute night 4th line/2nd PK guy his first two and a half years, getting an IT bump in the second half of the shortened '13 season after the team went through a 5 game losing streak and the lines got shook up. Then he had a 2 goal and a 3 goal game and finished with 10 goals the last 30 or so games and then a couple more in the playoffs after that.

The next year was 2014, where the whole team was hurt the whole season, so he got a larger role and mostly underperformed in it.

Then 2015 rolled around and the team had very few top 6 options other than Abdelkader, so when he put up 20 he pretty much locked it in.

Sheahan's had pretty much the same chance Abdelkader's had. Probably a better one, given that he's lined up with better offensive players in his early career than Abdelkader had.

The primary difference between the two is that Abdelkader's got a more natural ability to score goals than Sheahan, and that's been the case since they both played college hockey. Don't get me wrong, they aren't renaming it the Justin Abdelkader Award for Goal Scoring or anything, but still.

Also, it doesn't hurt that Abdelkader will fight. It's becoming a lost art, but it's still marginally valuable to have someone who will thump the other guy if they run at your star.

I mean you're acting like Sheahan hasn't performed at all.. He produced at a 40 point pace his first two years in the league, which is what Abby has done the past 2 seasons during what is going to be considered the prime of his career. Sheahan is just more of a passer than a shooter. His production took a dip this year because he had less assists on a team where basically everyone struggled to score goals, but Sheahan has been a better player his first few years in the league than Abdelkader was...

Sheahan hasn't hit his prime yet in my opinion. I can see 50+ points at his peak if he can stay healthy, which isn't unreasonable given what he did his first two seasons.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Sheahan hasn't convinced me of anything yet but I like the two year trial period. I hope Blash figures out how to use him better. I still think he looks really good at the Holmstrom role, and I haven't really seen anything to convince me that he's a good center. I dunno. In any case he needs to find his identity soon.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I mean you're acting like Sheahan hasn't performed at all.. He produced at a 40 point pace his first two years in the league, which is what Abby has done the past 2 seasons during what is going to be considered the prime of his career. Sheahan is just more of a passer than a shooter. His production took a dip this year because he had less assists on a team where basically everyone struggled to score goals, but Sheahan has been a better player his first few years in the league than Abdelkader was...

Sheahan hasn't hit his prime yet in my opinion. I can see 50+ points at his peak if he can stay healthy, which isn't unreasonable given what he did his first two seasons.
Want to put money on that? Because betting against it will be the easiest money I ever make.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Franzen wasn't even in the league yet at Sheahan's age. Then it took him 2 years on the bottom 6 to get a bigger role.
And Riley definitely reminds me of Mule in several ways. A guy with all the tools but who seems to have a lack of drive/desire to make the most out of it.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
If a player doesn't have 50 points by the time they're 24 it will never happen.

It is known.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
And Riley definitely reminds me of Mule in several ways. A guy with all the tools but who seems to have a lack of drive/desire to make the most out of it.

Yeah ive made the comparison between Sheahan and Mule before

Both big bodies with good shots and good hands, but lack physical play and are inconsistent

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
At this point Sheahan just needs NHL experience. He's only played 200 NHL games. That's just over two and a half seasons worth. Far too early to give up on him yet. I think he'll be a beast when he's 27/28.

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
Want to put money on that? Because betting against it will be the easiest money I ever make.

:laugh:, I'm sorry but when a guy like Nick Foligno can put up 73 points I think Sheahan putting up 50 seems within the realm of possibility, I think it's more likely that he peaks in the low 40's or so but all it takes is one year where everything clicks, I think you're really underestimating his skill set.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
:laugh:, I'm sorry but when a guy like Nick Foligno can put up 73 points I think Sheahan putting up 50 seems within the realm of possibility, I think it's more likely that he peaks in the low 40's or so but all it takes is one year where everything clicks, I think you're really underestimating his skill set.

In 2014 and 2015 as a 22 and 23 year old he played a combined 121 games and put up 60 points. That's an 82 game pace of 41 points.

He had a down year last season, but the people who think 40-50 points for Sheahan is unreasonable are out of their minds IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00