Sheahan as a defenseman

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
I wrote this idea in the Major dissapointment-thread, but I think it might deserve a thread on it's own.

Riley Sheahan produces like a stay at home d-man offensively. He has size and defensive skills. Our D sucks. Why not try Sheahan out as D? How do you guys think he would handle it?

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
I wrote this idea in the Major dissapointment-thread, but I think it might deserve a thread on it's own.

Riley Sheahan produces like a stay at home d-man offensively. He has size and defensive skills. Our D sucks. Why not try Sheahan out as D? How do you guys think he would handle it?

Wouldnt hurt the tank thats for sure. Has he ever played d?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

This did not deserve its own thread. It is ridiculous. The positions play very differently. You're pissed about Kronner or E or DDK sucking it up, Sheahan would be worse. The NHL isn't beer league where forwards and defense are malleable. Sheahan would have zero defensive skills. You get crossover in roles when you have an elite player in Fedorov who has the skating and hockey in to make it happen. Or a Yandle or Green or whoever who play a forwards game on the backend.

This is the worst part about the tank. You have ridiculous **** like this being said and nobody will say anything about it because they want the team to lose.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
This is the worst part about the tank. You have ridiculous **** like this being said and nobody will say anything about it because they want the team to lose.

Really? The worst part about our situation is some post by some random person on the Internet?

How about the fact that we're not gonna have truly competed for a over a decade.

Last edited:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Really? The worst part about our situation is some post by some random person on the Internet?

The worst part about posting here and trying to have discussions, I'm sorry.

See, the quality of the team we can only really affect in a macro sense by stopping paying for tickets and going to the games and buying merch.

You can scream till you're blue in the face, but if Holland wants to sign Dennis Wideman 4/20M, he's going to do it.

It just bothers me that because we are in a tailspin, there is no hope for logical discourse, because everything devolves to "man, we really need to suck so we can land Nico Hischier/Rasmus Dahlin/insert other 18 year old kid here".

Hey, let's throw a forward on defense for S's and G's because "it can't get any worse" and he's producing like a defensive defenseman anyway.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Sure, if he cleared waivers (I don't think he would) I'd be down with letting him try it in GR. But I'd rather have some combination of Jensen/Russo/XO/Sproul playing D in Detroit (with whatever vets happen to be healthy).

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The worst part about posting here and trying to have discussions, I'm sorry.

See, the quality of the team we can only really affect in a macro sense by stopping paying for tickets and going to the games and buying merch.

You can scream till you're blue in the face, but if Holland wants to sign Dennis Wideman 4/20M, he's going to do it.

It just bothers me that because we are in a tailspin, there is no hope for logical discourse, because everything devolves to "man, we really need to suck so we can land Nico Hischier/Rasmus Dahlin/insert other 18 year old kid here".

Hey, let's throw a forward on defense for S's and G's because "it can't get any worse" and he's producing like a defensive defenseman anyway.

I'd like to point out that the OP said nothing about doing this move to make the team bad or worse. It seems they actually thought it would be a positive move, which you are free to disagree with.

Edit -- I see post #2 talks about tanking. Meh. This idea would never happen anyways.

Last edited:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
I'd like to point out that the OP said nothing about doing this move to make the team bad or worse. It seems they actually thought it would be a positive move, which you are free to disagree with.

Edit -- I see post #2 talks about tanking. Meh. This idea would never happen anyways.

Yeah, I didn't mean to jump all over it or anything... but this seems like something that a guy drunk off his ass in a bar would say and immediately get shut down by any sober person in the area. It falls into the so far outside of the box that literally no person on the face of the earth should ever consider it.

It would be like taking a shower via Super Soaker every day. Would it technically work? Sure. Could it be useful for one time? Sure, why not? But it's a damn terrible idea that nobody should ever consider for the long term.

The Wings need to rebuild, but they should be looking at fixes to the system while doing so. If you can get a long-term solution to a minor problem, that should be looked at as well, not just trade everything not nailed down and whatever.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I think the formula is more like an elite player might be able be good at another position. I don't think you can be awful at the position you trained your whole life to play and suddenly find your calling years into your NHL career in another part of the lineup. The problem isn't the position the problem is not being good in the NHL.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I'd rather waive him than waste time on him playing defense.

Waive?

As bad as his season has been, we could definitely get something via trade as opposed to getting nothing by placing him on waivers.

Apparently here was some interest on him at the deadline. What that truly means, only the GMs know, but apparently Holland was asking for a first which is insane. I wonder if anyone would give us a 2nd or a 3rd for him?

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Waive?

As bad as his season has been, we could definitely get something via trade as opposed to getting nothing by placing him on waivers.

Apparently here was some interest on him at the deadline. What that truly means, only the GMs know, but apparently Holland was asking for a first which is insane. I wonder if anyone would give us a 2nd or a 3rd for him?

Any source for this?

Because that is totally insane and hard to believe.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Waive?

I said, I would rather waive him than waste time on him playing defense. Odds are we won't get anything for Sheahan and he'll get waived in the future regardless.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
I think the formula is more like an elite player might be able be good at another position. I don't think you can be awful at the position you trained your whole life to play and suddenly find your calling years into your NHL career in another part of the lineup. The problem isn't the position the problem is not being good in the NHL.

Basically. Fedorov could switch to D because he was elite as hell and his two-way play was basically defense as it was. He had the smooth, fast skating to make up for any positioning errors he'd make.

That's why Gretzky made such a big deal about Feds doing it and saying Feds was one of the best hockey players on Earth. Said "I couldn't do it, Mario couldn't do it... but Sergei can."

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

No, he's simply a defensive forward. Fits best on your 4th line. There have been other guys like him who were drafted in the first round due to their size and "two way game" which only amounted to being a good defensive forward.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Any source for this?

Because that is totally insane and hard to believe.

Nick Kypreos is my source.

“The feeling is, regardless of being goalless, that could cost you as much as a first-rounder if the Leafs want him,â€Kypreos said.

Take it for what its worth..Kypreos is an idiot, but does have "some" credibility.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad