Shea Weber

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Why couldn't we? Because of your conjectured spending limitations? The Predators were a cap floor team with Weber at his arbitration salary.

what is so hard for you to accept? It has zero to do with the budget in the year he got his arbitration award and everything to do with the future.

Are you rewriting history here? Do you not acknowledge that prior to the summer of 2012 we had to worry about money? And that a Weber offer sheet that summer might not have been able to be matched??

My explanation (that Poile was afraid Weber would get an offer sheet that he couldn't match) makes a whole lot more sense than yours(that Poile is just a doofus who wanted to/didnt care if he pissed Weber off).

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I used to be a "trust Poile" fan...... now not so much. It's time for a change, and it was his job to ferret out the truth of Suter and he failed.

However, I do believe he tells the truth about the summer when the Preds took Weber to arbitration. Weber changed agents a month or so before the deadline, and they would not talk to DP. It was mentioned multiple times that they wouldn't talk to DP.

These are the same agents that acted so "professional" on the radio the next summer after we matched the offer sheet, spelled things wrong on their website, etc.

Frankly I think professional is the last adjective that I would apply.

And if those "professionals" failed to inform Webs about what the "business" of an arbitration meeting was like...........well, it doesn't surprise me.

Im not sure how Poile was supposed to ferret out a bald faced lie, but I am glad to read someone else lay some blame on Weber and his agent for the whole offer sheet deal

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
what is so hard for you to accept? It has zero to do with the budget in the year he got his arbitration award and everything to do with the future.

Are you rewriting history here? Do you not acknowledge that prior to the summer of 2012 we had to worry about money? And that a Weber offer sheet that summer might not have been able to be matched??

My explanation (that Poile was afraid Weber would get an offer sheet that he couldn't match) makes a whole lot more sense than yours(that Poile is just a doofus who wanted to/didnt care if he pissed Weber off).

Quit being absurd. I never claimed any such nonsense about Poile. I'm not the one rewriting any history. In fact, I have made no claims at all outside of saying the agent change threw a huge wrench into negotiations. You are the one that is creating a storyline. You are the one making conjectures. I am simply stating these comments, which seem to downplay your commentary to some degree (at least from my interpretation):

1) With Webers 7.5 million award, we were still a cap floor team.
2) Shortly after the award, Poile still maintained he wanted all three (Rinne, Suter, and Weber) to sign long term deals.
3) Poile backed that up by signing Rinne relatively quickly to a 7 year 49 million dollar deal. This in addition to Weber already being at 7.5 million.
4) rumor was that Suter was given the same contract or similar and had agreed without signing to the terms ...

Do I think Poile was budget conscience and money and offer sheet protection issues were being considered and all of the other financial considerations played a role in the arbitration process - of course they did. Do I think Poile was unable to give Weber a large contract and long term deal? No. Evidence says he was.

I can't refute your claims nor am I saying they are false, but I am not convinced Poile's hands were completely tied. That is all I am saying.

Lastly, as a disclaimer, I don't remember the timeline of events of ownership change, nor the Rinne contract date exactly. Also, was the Weber award 7.5 or 7 ? Either way, the team was not shocked by the award pubicly afterwards.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I started this series of replies after someone, and I thought it was you and if it wasn't I apologize, claimed that Poile took Weber to arbitration just to be cheap and control costs for another year.

I understand and agree that poile had the money to sign the big three to 7 year 7+ million dollar contracts, what I am saying is that, in 2011 he couldn't be sure that an offer sheet to weber wouldn't be either too much more money or too many years or both

Last edited:

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
I think Poile publicly said it was to protect against offersheets in part. Is my memory incorrect?

I'm not sure it was the best line of thinking, but he certainly believed it.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I think Poile publicly said it was to protect against offersheets in part. Is my memory incorrect?

I'm not sure it was the best line of thinking, but he certainly believed it.

I'm pretty sure the entire thing was about keeping offersheets out of it because you saw exactly what happened when they did get involved a year later.

Was money an issue? Lord who knows, I can't remember when the billionaire owner came in, but if it was before that then yes it was a possibility.

I do remember though people only half heatedly believing Poile when he said we would sign the big 3 to market contracts. Maybe that was because we just weren't used to it, but I distinctly remember people worrying if we could even afford it for whatever reason.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I know a group here complained that Weber played a lot better the second half of the season than he did the first, and I agree. Where I disagree with is Weber's ability to play that way for an entire season. Defensively Weber was good both halves of the season but Weber really turned it up the last 42 games, scoring 14 goals, 20 assist for 34 points. For him to keep that up pace up for an entire season would put him at 27 goals, 39 assist and 66 points. I love Weber and think he has an elite shot, physical play and one of the league's top shutdown defenders but I know know if he's a 27 goal 66 point offensive defenseman on top of all that too. That would put him above Pronger's Hart season where he scored 62 points. I can't think of a shutdown physical defenseman that put up 66 points in a season, especially when scoring 27 goals.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
I know a group here complained that Weber played a lot better the second half of the season than he did the first, and I agree. Where I disagree with is Weber's ability to play that way for an entire season. Defensively Weber was good both halves of the season but Weber really turned it up the last 42 games, scoring 14 goals, 20 assist for 34 points. For him to keep that up pace up for an entire season would put him at 27 goals, 39 assist and 66 points. I love Weber and think he has an elite shot, physical play and one of the league's top shutdown defenders but I know know if he's a 27 goal 66 point offensive defenseman on top of all that too. That would put him above Pronger's Hart season where he scored 62 points. I can't think of a shutdown physical defenseman that put up 66 points in a season, especially when scoring 27 goals.

I really think he can do it for a full season. Ever since Suter left Weber has not had a consistant partner game in and game out until the second half of last season where Josi started playing really well and Weber benefited from that. When Weber was paired with Jones it was a disaster. Weber couldn't play his game at all because he was playing so far back covering for the rookies mistakes at all times. Once Josi came back from his injury and got back into form Weber was lights out. If Weber and Josi are healthy all season long I think Webs can hit 60+ points easily. I also think Josi will benefit from PL's system and top the 50 point total marks and have a career year as well.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Yeah as long as Josi stays healthy I could see him hitting 25. Keep in mind lots of his points come off the PP, and he's still going to be lethal there no matter who the coach is.

If Rinne comes in strong where Weber has to worry about things even less, it could be fun to watch.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Yeah as long as Josi stays healthy I could see him hitting 25. Keep in mind lots of his points come off the PP, and he's still going to be lethal there no matter who the coach is.

If Rinne comes in strong where Weber has to worry about things even less, it could be fun to watch.

Absolutely!! Weber played last year super defensive, like he had the weight of the world on him. If he gets to loosen up, NHL better watch out!

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I'm cross posting this so forgive me but.

Not many defensemen can play 25+ minutes a night and end up in the top 25 of hits and blocked shots. Lots are 2 of the 3 but I think Weber is the only one that does all 3. The fact that he can do all of this and still score 20+ goals and 45+ points is amazing.

A lot of fans compare Doughty to Weber and I like Doughty's game, he hits hits and plays over 25 minutes a night, but doesn't produce points offensively like Weber, doesn't block shots, and for all the love his playoff goal scoring gets, even it is still behind Weber's career goal scoring pace of .22 gpg, and for the record, Weber's playoff goals per game is even higher at .23 gpg, although Weber does trail him in points in the playoffs with a .47 ppg pace versus a .65 ppg for Doughty.

Doughty however is the only one that comes close to Weber, well Doughty and believe it or not Josi. Josi is right there in ice time, points and blocked shots but he's not nearly as physical as Weber or Doughty. Josi's hit totals are kind of laughable.

Lovejoy and Phaneuf also come close. They're both top 10 in hits, top 25 in blocked shots, but their points and time on ice are not even close.

Chara comes up just short in all the categories.

Pietrangelo hits less than Josi.

Ryan Suter leads in time on ice and that's about it. Not top 10 in scoring, not top 25 or heck even top 35 in blocked shots, and not top 50 in hits.

StarvinArvyn33

Jun 18, 2010
Yesterday
I'm cross posting this so forgive me but.

Not many defensemen can play 25+ minutes a night and end up in the top 25 of hits and blocked shots. Lots are 2 of the 3 but I think Weber is the only one that does all 3. The fact that he can do all of this and still score 20+ goals and 45+ points is amazing.

A lot of fans compare Doughty to Weber and I like Doughty's game, he hits hits and plays over 25 minutes a night, but doesn't produce points offensively like Weber, doesn't block shots, and for all the love his playoff goal scoring gets, even it is still behind Weber's career goal scoring pace of .22 gpg, and for the record, Weber's playoff goals per game is even higher at .23 gpg, although Weber does trail him in points in the playoffs with a .47 ppg pace versus a .65 ppg for Doughty.

Doughty however is the only one that comes close to Weber, well Doughty and believe it or not Josi. Josi is right there in ice time, points and blocked shots but he's not nearly as physical as Weber or Doughty. Josi's hit totals are kind of laughable.

Lovejoy and Phaneuf also come close. They're both top 10 in hits, top 25 in blocked shots, but their points and time on ice are not even close.

Chara comes up just short in all the categories.

Pietrangelo hits less than Josi.

Ryan Suter leads in time on ice and that's about it. Not top 10 in scoring, not top 25 or heck even top 35 in blocked shots, and not top 50 in hits.

Look at this stat on this link.

https://mobile.twitter.com/NHLJensen/status/460805834914922496

This stat alone tells me weber is the best dman in the world.

He most definitely can hit 60+ points, I think

A 30 goal season wouldn't surprise me

dougie1107

Jul 6, 2012
Memphis
Well, Chara does routinely get that hardest shot thing in the ASG Skills Competition. But we've believed that to be rigged for quite some time now.

I don't think it's rigged. Not that hard to believe Chara has the hardest shot. Weber's is more accurate though for sure.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Well, Chara does routinely get that hardest shot thing in the ASG Skills Competition. But we've believed that to be rigged for quite some time now.

I don't think it's rigged. I think it's the difference in height/weight that makes all the difference. An extra 5 inches in height and 25 in weight will affect the velocity of an object. That's just physics. The fact that it doesn't make more of a difference than it does indicates to me that Shea is relatively stronger.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
I don't think it's rigged. I think it's the difference in height/weight that makes all the difference. An extra 5 inches in height and 25 in weight will affect the velocity of an object. That's just physics. The fact that it doesn't make more of a difference than it does indicates to me that Shea is relatively stronger.

I actually think Dougie is onto something, Adz. Shea's shot is more accurate - and strong enough that he shoots THROUGH nets.

braindead

Jul 14, 2005
The cookie spoke
All this positive talk in a thread with a title that still references the arbitrator ancient history.... Maybe a mod could fix the title. Or maybe I'm the only one that gets pissed seeing it every day.

Please this thread.

I Will Son

An Army of One
Feb 15, 2010
Nashville
I actually think Dougie is onto something, Adz. Shea's shot is more accurate - and strong enough that he shoots THROUGH nets.

Not only does he shoot them through nets. He shoots the puck through them, by making the net expand instead of ripping it. He shoots it with that much force

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN

One does not preclude the other. :laugh:

That shot was awesome, wasn't it? I mean, there were singe marks!

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
All this positive talk in a thread with a title that still references the arbitrator ancient history.... Maybe a mod could fix the title. Or maybe I'm the only one that gets pissed seeing it every day.

Please this thread.

Excellent reference. RIP Kevin.

I edited the title, and added a prefix to it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad