Player Discussion Shea Weber

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
What does RFA stand for? He was a Restricted Free Agent. He was well within his rights to sign a contract, which he did. Philadelphia was well within their rights to offer him a contract.

Why does it matter that other teams have been hesitant to use offer sheets? He was a Free Agent and Nashville had the right to match. They exercised that right.

Few players of Weber's caliber and age have been RFA's too.

I never said Philly didnt exercise their right. My point was Nashville had their hands tied with Suter leaving and Weber asking for big money and Philly made it tougher because it was no longer on their terms. I should’ve said Philly was played a large factor as opposed to making it sound like I was blaming them in my previous post.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Remember when the trade happened and the only positive the media could come up with was, "this will be a win for the Habs in the first two years, after that, it's going to swing the other way"

Well....

Shaw trade: "This will help the Habs win now. Those picks will take years to yield results."

Drouin trade: "Sergachev is still a prospect at this point. We don't know if he'll have success at the next level."

Bergevin trades are not only bad, but bad much earlier than anticipated.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I never said Philly didnt exercise their right. My point was Nashville had their hands tied with Suter leaving and Weber asking for big money and Philly made it tougher because it was no longer on their terms. I should’ve said Philly was played a large factor as opposed to making it sound like I was blaming them in my previous post.

That's like saying Montreal's hands were tied with with Radulov because he wanted money. Weber was a free agent. He signed a contract with the Flyers. Nashville had a right to match the offer and did so. If Nashville wanted to get a better structured contract for themselves, they should have signed him before he reached RFA status. Or signed him the previous year instead of taking him to arbitration.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
That's like saying Montreal's hands were tied with with Radulov because he wanted money. Weber was a free agent. He signed a contract with the Flyers. Nashville had a right to match the offer and did so. If Nashville wanted to get a better structured contract for themselves, they should have signed him before he reached RFA status. Or signed him the previous year instead of taking him to arbitration.

Yeah, you’re right. I’m trying to think of a way to counter that debate but I agree. It could’ve been handled better with an earlier extension.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Yeah, you’re right. I’m trying to think of a way to counter that debate but I agree. It could’ve been handled better with an earlier extension.

I'll reiterate that I agree that the NHL would probably take steps to avoid a situation where the Predator's have to tear down their roster or core as a result of cap recapture. I just don't think its going to get waived away.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I'll reiterate that I agree that the NHL would probably take steps to avoid a situation where the Predator's have to tear down their roster or core as a result of cap recapture. I just don't think its going to get waived away.

FWIW, I believe they'll change that rule in the next CBA which is after the 2019-20 season in which is 2 + seasons away.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

There’s always the trade back option and LTIR. They aren’t screwed yet, and I really wouldn’t put it past Bettman to help one of his expansion teams in the scenario it did play out bad.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Why? The vast majority of the contracts the cap recapture targeted still haven't expired.
NHL won't let a team be screwed over by that type of rule where they have to literally gut the team. Owners will bring it up and it'll get changed. It shouldn't, but it will.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Shaw trade: "This will help the Habs win now. Those picks will take years to yield results."

Drouin trade: "Sergachev is still a prospect at this point. We don't know if he'll have success at the next level."

Bergevin trades are not only bad, but bad much earlier than anticipated.

He has zero foresight.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
NHL won't let a team be screwed over by that type of rule where they have to literally gut the team. Owners will bring it up and it'll get changed. It shouldn't, but it will.

So the NHL, which aggressively pursued the rule in the first place, is going to get rid of it in the off chance that one team is screwed by it? When there are so many allowed ways to limit liability? I don't buy it.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
So the NHL, which aggressively pursued the rule in the first place, is going to get rid of it in the off chance that one team is screwed by it? When there are so many allowed ways to limit liability? I don't buy it.

I don't either but a ton of what the NHL has done the past decade hasn't made sense.

bergevin_marc.jpg

Reactions: groovejuice

Roke

Jul 21, 2003
Winnipeg
Holy ****

We really traded PK for nothing. **** me. **** me hard. So tired of this gong show. Why am I doing this to myself.

I'm more concerned about things going forward for the Habs, Weber being injured through the summer and into next season makes the inevitable rebuild more difficult.

I had hoped his reputation still exceeding his on-ice contribution would mean you could still get a decent futures return in a trade but Weber being injured makes will probably drag down his value and the injury will probably delay any Weber trade.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I think this was inevitable back in December lol. He would have come back if we were in the playoff race, but we're not, so keep him out and get him healthy and aid the tank for the rest of the way.

EDIT: this dude was playing with a torn tendon in his foot? jeez

I gotta say, as far as everything goes concerning him and how he got here and blah blah blah

i could NOT beleive how BAD he looked out there tho for when he DID play this year, and holy shit, does a torn tendon explain a LOT, i couldnt beleive he could just fall off a cliff like that

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Tough blow for the tank. Was hoping he'd come back to lead our last push down the standings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad