Proposal: Shea Weber to Toronto maple leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 25, 2009
éal
Weber would ragdoll our players for the next 3-4 years, at least 4 times a season. For that I'd want more. I'm okay with retaining 20-25 % though, we have tons of cap space.

Liljgren and 1st is a good base, I think it's missing a pick or a B- / C+ prospect

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Playing 1st year in North America ice who is 18. Weber did not start in AHL until age 20. The kid has 2 years ahead of him basically if compare starts. One vs teenagers another vs Adults.

Lil will never ever be the player Weber is. Come on, it's like saying Mete will be superior to Subban because at the same age Subban was playing in the OHL and Mete in the NHL.

Does Lil have the potential to be a great NHL defenseman? Absolutely! To ever get to Weber's level? wishful thinking.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I wouldn't make any trades for Weber until after this season. See if he can turn around the injury problems he is having this year as this could be the start of his decline due in part to becoming more injury prone.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I wouldn't make any trades for Weber until after this season. See if he can turn around the injury problems he is having this year as this could be the start of his decline due in part to becoming more injury prone.

He suffered a broken ankle after blocking a shot. These kind of injury heals 100%.

That being said, let's just close this trade. It's pointless

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Lil will never ever be the player Weber is. Come on, it's like saying Mete will be superior to Subban because at the same age Subban was playing in the OHL and Mete in the NHL.

Does Lil have the potential to be a great NHL defenseman? Absolutely! To ever get to Weber's level? wishful thinking.
Thats the potential and always risks. Prefer the high potential and wait game then possibly jeopardizing the rebuild.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
He suffered a broken ankle after blocking a shot. These kind of injury heals 100%.

That being said, let's just close this trade. It's pointless
I agree with shuttin the thread but do ankle injuries fully heal at his age. I got a pretty nasty ankle injury last year that still cracks and gives me trouble.

Reactions: Dog

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I agree with shuttin the thread but do ankle injuries fully heal at his age. I got a pretty nasty ankle injury last year that still cracks and gives me trouble.

It depends if ligaments were hit or not. When you twist it or land on it in a weird spot and it breaks, then ligaments might have been torn or hit. He received a straight shot, which only breaks the bone and bones always heals fully,

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Thats the potential and always risks. Prefer the high potential and wait game then possibly jeopardizing the rebuild.

True but Lil doesn't have that kind of potential. #2-#3? Maybe, I think his ceiling (and most scout also said that) is a good #2. I doubt he ever becomes a #1 even less chance of becoming an elite #1.

Now, whether he gets there or not is another story

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
You wouldn't take Weber for free at 5.5 million? or did you not read the OP? I can see why the Leafs would say no though, their team won't be able to contend during Weber's remaining prime years
Exactly! That's why the Habs should keep him for their multiple cup runs....

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Karlsson had a surgery and like 1/3 of his ankle removed. That's not the same thing.
An ankle injury to a player that heavily relies upon mobility (defensemen) is never a good thing. He may return 100%, he may not....we shall see. It took Rielly a long time to return to form.

Reactions: Baksfamous112

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Weber's age and regression are wayyyyyyy overblown in here. He is not the 26-27 years old Weber off course. But at the time, he was arguably the best D in the league, or let say top 3. He is still pretty solid no.1 D and i would still argue he is top 10 in the league.

Still manage to produce offensively and play pretty solidely defensively despite playing with no.4-5 Dmen.

Now just look at what Chara does right now in a winning environment. All that at the age of what 39??

I'm pretty confident Weber will still be a no.1 D in 4-5 years.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
To :leafs

Shea Weber (30% salary retained = 5.5$ million on the cap)

To :habs

Timothy Liljegren
1st Round Pick 2018

Hmm I guess I only have a problem with the 1st. Will MTL settle for a 2nd in 18 and 3rd in 19?

I have a hard time believing that Liljegren will ever be as good as Weber.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Weber's age and regression are wayyyyyyy overblown in here. He is not the 26-27 years old Weber off course. But at the time, he was arguably the best D in the league, or let say top 3. He is still pretty solid no.1 D and i would still argue he is top 10 in the league.

Still manage to produce offensively and play pretty solidely defensively despite playing with no.4-5 Dmen.

Now just look at what Chara does right now in a winning environment. All that at the age of what 39??

I'm pretty confident Weber will still be a no.1 D in 4-5 years.

Me too and as the cap goes up, his % taken on the cap will lower. Just look at what Karlsson and Doughty are about to get. 7.8M for a #1 D in 3 years will be considered a steal. I believe we can retool or rebuild or whatever the terms Bergevin want to use with Price and Weber.

If we play our cards right with Plekanec, Pacioretty, Petry, Byron, Shaw and draft well, then we could have a very solid team in 4-5 years

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I'd want more if I were Montreal. 30% retained takes a lot of pressure of the contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad