Proposal: Shea Weber to Toronto maple leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
To :leafs

Shea Weber (30% salary retained = 5.5$ million on the cap)

To :habs

Timothy Liljegren
1st Round Pick 2018
Big pass! Weber should be traded to team that is expected to compete for cup. Though his contract going to eliminate majority of teams. Also, he is injured..

Last edited:

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Wouldn't take Weber for free with that contract, if he declines sharply (and he would have to be in the extreme minority to be an elite defenseman at his size beyond 33/34) that contract could be a major anchor around the prime years of this version of the Leafs

Someone will give up something good for him, but that's probably a win-now contender that is willing to risk what happens in 3-5 years for a better chance at winning for the next couple

Reactions: Mork and 7even

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Not even close. Like, not a bit.

If Weber is ever traded, it will be A) without retention and B) for a much better package and C) Definitely not in our division.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
I'd do this in a heartbeat. Not sure why all the other Leaf fans are saying no.
Liljegren upside makes no sense to trade him. You build through draft not trading for older players with big salaries. Plus, Weber has foot injury... This Leafs team is not going be cup contender this year or next most likely. So makes no sense to give up best leaf defense prospect in years and 1st rounder..

Last edited:
Reactions: Mork

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Wouldn't take Weber for free with that contract, if he declines sharply (and he would have to be in the extreme minority to be an elite defenseman at his size beyond 33/34) that contract could be a major anchor around the prime years of this version of the Leafs

Someone will give up something good for him, but that's probably a win-now contender that is willing to risk what happens in 3-5 years for a better chance at winning for the next couple

You wouldn't take Weber for free at 5.5 million? or did you not read the OP? I can see why the Leafs would say no though, their team won't be able to contend during Weber's remaining prime years

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
As a Leafs fan, you'd have to be insane to turn this down.
Lily has a good shot at being a star but Weber would help the Leafs for the next 5 years.
I doubt the habs would retain that much

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Let's just close this thread. Nobody in Montreal wants to give Toronto the key piece they need to contend and it seems like Toronto doesn't want to pay what Weber is worth on the market.

Reactions: BLONG7

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Let's be real here, the chances Liljegren get to Weber's level one day are close to 0%.
Playing 1st year in North America ice in AHL who is 18. Weber did not start in AHL until age 20. The kid has 2 years ahead of him basically if compare starts. One vs teenagers another vs Adults. Will he get to Weber stats you never know.

Last edited:

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
did you read the OP? 30% retained makes a world of difference
I still don’t want him at that price for that long. There is honestly way more risk involved in long term contracts than in shorter term, high AAV contracts. So why are the Leafs paying a premium to solve that issue for you?

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
I think weber is worth more, especially for a small market with alot of cap space who is looking to compete, especially with how the contract ia built! I don’t think habs would retain for such a long period tho, especially not 30%! Honestely weber is one guy i have no clue how to gauge value!

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
As a Leafs fan, you'd have to be insane to turn this down.
Lily has a good shot at being a star but Weber would help the Leafs for the next 5 years.
I doubt the habs would retain that much

It's a combination of faith in management finding us a 1D to win with. There is also the feel that they are trying to build a medium cost 6 man D core if they can. Lilj projects into that D core in a #2-3 capacity. The cap after the 4-5 years is just a huge drag, although we will have the buyout option I imagine but not sure how that works when another team is paying you 30%.

I don't know, I guess you can debate it but I wouldn't do it.

Rielly, Dermott, Gardiner*, Zaitsev, Lilj, ?, ?

Reactions: Brock Radunske
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad