Tribute Shea Weber: Gone to Vegas

Crusher117

Feb 2, 2013
Montreal
I'd have Merrill Weber 3rd pairing going into the playoffs. Let him focus on just defense and shutting down the other team.
Chariot and Romanov work well and have way more speed together. Weber is too slow and slows down our pace too much. Kids were flying for the last 2 games. The pace was faster.

Edmunson Petry
Chariot Romanov
Merrill Weber please.

Unclewhalebone

Aug 28, 2009
For sure it is frustrating. Yesterday during the game they were talking about how much we will miss his presence, shot, his toughness and D skills. You would swear they were still talking about Prime Weber. I think we all wished the media/ commentators just called a spade a spade and spoke in reality. Do they think we are all that dumb? Trying fill us with their nonsense.

Garry Galley went on an on about it. I’m pretty sure he basically just doesn’t know better, and just talks out his @SS most of the time.

Reactions: Tanknation

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
And the media/ commentators. It's disgusting how they were talking about how much we will miss his shot on the PP and how great he is.

I still believe he is not injured, but a way to save face for him to rest up just before the playoffs. Even then he should not be back. He is cooked as a player and needs to retire asap.

I gotta say thats been making me laugh a lot also lol hearing all the sports news people saying "oh what a BIG BLOW for the canadiens! gonna be tough without someone like weber in the line up!"
Meanwhile all us fans actually watching the games : "ehhhh not REALLy tho ...lol"

Obviously, the whole D still needs a lot of work, but theres absolutely no mistaking his absence has actually been a good thing so far, sorry Shea, but its true.
Every time a team scores on us, it felt like 75% of the time you would see #6 and #8 out there, and now all of a sudden #8 doesnt look as bad lol

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
If we can clinch without Weber, and he can rest until the playoffs, we'll be happy to have him back. We need some heavy Pep style rotation for the next few weeks. Rest is the key to most of our current problems.

Reactions: angusyoung

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I’m Convinced Weber was battling injuries all year. Hopefully the time off allows him to heal up for the playoffs.
I’m convinced he’s basically done as a top 4 dmen. He sucks, most games I watched I thought he was the worst player on the ice for both teams. He’s just terrible now.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
And the media/ commentators. It's disgusting how they were talking about how much we will miss his shot on the PP and how great he is.

I still believe he is not injured, but a way to save face for him to rest up just before the playoffs. Even then he should not be back. He is cooked as a player and needs to retire asap.

Eh, I'm fairly certain he was playing hurt. And he can definitely be useful if properly utilized. But playing him with the likes of Chiarot or Edmundson is just dumb.

The PP thing is crazy though. He's been a net-negative on the PP since before Montreal acquired him. Point shots are, strategically speaking, the worst kind of shot you can take on the PP. Its a last resort. Montreal tends to be way too D-shot heavy at the best of times, but at least Petry can also move the puck well and can skate. Weber is basically a stationary cannon.

Reactions: 417 and Tanknation

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Having Petry around and the way he is playing this year will ease the decline of Weber. Playing Petry 25 minutes, Romanov and Weber about 18 minutes minutes each will be ok next year. After that, we will see what happens. I think he will retire.

What we badly need is a legit top 4 LHD that can play 22 solid minutes and play on the PP. I don't know waht would be disponible this summer but that's what we need to focus on.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I’m convinced he’s basically done as a top 4 dmen. He sucks, most games I watched I thought he was the worst player on the ice for both teams. He’s just terrible now.
His issue this year was handling the puck and it was just confirmed that Weber is dealing with a hand injury.

BenG

Sep 15, 2015
Montreal
I think many people may need to realize Weber's issues do not stem from injury but poor decision making. It's actually crazy how many times he wanders in his own zone, leaves passing lanes or players open, or even breakout swiftly.

His lack of awareness hurts his ability to have good position, his lack of speed enables chances of the rush and his lack of offensive ability inhibits his ability to exit the zone via skating or passing.

For his entire career, Weber was propped up by fantastic defensemen like Josi, Suter, Markov. He immediately delegates in all zones but the difference is now he is passing to middling defender.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'd have Merrill Weber 3rd pairing going into the playoffs. Let him focus on just defense and shutting down the other team.
Chariot and Romanov work well and have way more speed together. Weber is too slow and slows down our pace too much. Kids were flying for the last 2 games. The pace was faster.

Edmunson Petry
Chariot Romanov
Merrill Weber please.

I think you would change your mind if you were the coach. Weber is not going to play bottom pairing and I doubt you would even try it.

So it's best to sit him if he was playing hurt than screw around with him playing bottom pairing. What the Habs are doing is spot on. Maybe it took too long for them to approach Weber to talk about it?

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I think many people may need to realize Weber's issues do not stem from injury but poor decision making. It's actually crazy how many times he wanders in his own zone, leaves passing lanes or players open, or even breakout swiftly.

His lack of awareness hurts his ability to have good position, his lack of speed enables chances of the rush and his lack of offensive ability inhibits his ability to exit the zone via skating or passing.

For his entire career, Weber was propped up by fantastic defensemen like Josi, Suter, Markov. He immediately delegates in all zones but the difference is now he is passing to middling defender.
So you think he just got senile? He’s not that old!

But for real, bad touch on pucks will look like poor decisions.

Reactions: aresknights

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
I gotta say thats been making me laugh a lot also lol hearing all the sports news people saying "oh what a BIG BLOW for the canadiens! gonna be tough without someone like weber in the line up!"
Meanwhile all us fans actually watching the games : "ehhhh not REALLy tho ...lol"

Obviously, the whole D still needs a lot of work, but theres absolutely no mistaking his absence has actually been a good thing so far, sorry Shea, but its true.
Every time a team scores on us, it felt like 75% of the time you would see #6 and #8 out there, and now all of a sudden #8 doesnt look as bad lol
Weber might still be useful but in a diminished role. Having him and Chiarot out there so often is detrimental. I never understood why the coaching staff didn't see that. Granted, they haven't played the Leafs or Edmonton yet with this lineup, so we'll see what happens. If they're successful, I say bye bye Weber.

BenG

Sep 15, 2015
Montreal
So you think he just got senile? He’s not that old!

But for real, bad touch on pucks will look like poor decisions.

He has never been good and was always carried by an all-star defense partner.

His biggest issue is positioning which has nothing to do with puck-handling, skating, etc. He simply lacks the awareness to understand where he needs to be given his toolset. There's 5-10 times per game where he is way out of position and/or leaving opposing players wide open.

also, what are 'bad touches'?

BenG

Sep 15, 2015
Montreal
This just isn't true and is quite embarrassing to read.

You don't forget how to play hockey all of a sudden. You may loose a step at his age, but any decent defensemen can easily adjust like Chara, Giordano, Keith, Suter, Markov, etc.

His gap control should be understandably wider than before but the guy lacks the hockey IQ or awareness on so many basic plays.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
I’m Convinced Weber was battling injuries all year. Hopefully the time off allows him to heal up for the playoffs.
They said his injury was at the start of the last western trip tho...

There is no way he would have played during mid season when habs had a huge lead in the playoff run. His decline started last season also. It's normal he's getting older , we all said that when we traded for him back then.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Let Seattle claim him and sign Hamilton please.

Edmundston-Petry
Romanov-Hamilton
Chiarot-Brook

Reactions: Hins77

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
He has never been good and was always carried by an all-star defense partner.

His biggest issue is positioning which has nothing to do with puck-handling, skating, etc. He simply lacks the awareness to understand where he needs to be given his toolset. There's 5-10 times per game where he is way out of position and/or leaving opposing players wide open.

also, what are 'bad touches'?

He fooled the whole league (including teammates,opponents, executives, coaches and Team Can staff ) for 10 plus years while being carried lol.
Highly unlikely but OK if you say so.
Did you watch many full games of his during all this "carrying" or just making silly assumptions to fit a narraitive?
If you did watch him regularly yhru his career You are just plain wrong

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4