Eklund Rumor: Shattenkirk, prospect, pick for Duchene and a pick?

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
LOL yes please! I refuse to click on any links of his to stop his constant stupid rumors but here we are anyway :) At least this one would be awesome for the Blues point of view

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
This is not a particularly intelligent rumor.

This, to put it in friendly terms.

Trading an asset like Duchene for a package around an impending UFA is ridiculous, and probably has no substantial precedence in real life. Such a trade with the UFA heading to a team that's nowhere close to contending makes it infinitely worse. Working under the assumption that Ek didn't just made it up and actually heard it, I would probably just take note, keep it off my site and take everything from that source with a huge amount of salt going forward.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It's speculation.

That's the entire premise of this specific board, right? I see a front page of speculation.

We speculate. Sometimes knowledgeable hockey insiders speculate - and identify it as such. Eklund just pulls this stuff out of his *** and claims inside sources. He puts it out there to get clicks. If it is a little outrageous, so much the better. There is no real basis for ANY of his stuff. He is not connected. He is not an insider. IIRC he was right once - blind monkey syndrome.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
This, to put it in friendly terms.

Trading an asset like Duchene for a package around an impending UFA is ridiculous, and probably has no substantial precedence in real life. Such a trade with the UFA heading to a team that's nowhere close to contending makes it infinitely worse. Working under the assumption that Ek didn't just made it up and actually heard it, I would probably just take note, keep it off my site and take everything from that source with a huge amount of salt going forward.

Don't forget the part where the player was drafted by the Avs , then traded away after 20 odd games and burned some bridges on the way out and the fact that the guy who basically made him expendable is still on the roster after having signed a 4 year deal in the offseason.

Also that the Avs are probably the last team that is willing to pay himwhat he wants (6M+), (see: ROR, Stastny) and are currently 13 points out of a playoff spot.

So either our GM is in full desperation mode and has completely lost it or Eklund is full of garbage.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Schmaltz is the only one I really don't want to lose, everyone else i can live with. I don't count Colt or Fabs as prospects.

He'd almost certainly be the targeted prospect. Possibly Barbashev.

It is actually making more sense now that I have read Benninola's take on it. If COL can trade Duchene and a LHD prospect for Shattenkirk + Yakupov (probably necessary to balance the cap) + 1st + Schmaltz, then flip Shattenkirk for a 1st and a prospect and Yakupov for another pick (likely not better than a 4th), they would have literally gotten two 1sts + Schmaltz (a RHD prospect which they lack) + another prospect + a 4th for Duchene and a LHD prospect (which they have in spades). Plus 6 million in cap space for their rebuild. I'm not sure they're going to get that kind of a haul for Duchene dealing directly with just one team.

warrior67

Jul 16, 2016
hockey purgatory
It's obviously not a great deal for the Avs if your plan for the team is to be competitive soon.

Trading a great top 6 center for a rental PPQ-PMD plus a high pick and great prospect isn't that bad when you consider you can flip Shatty for more picks and prospects. Contenders will pay a very high price for Shatty at the TDL, which would be a pretty good return overall for Duchene if your plan is to build for the future.

Beninnola

Mar 29, 2012
We speculate. Sometimes knowledgeable hockey insiders speculate - and identify it as such. Eklund just pulls this stuff out of his *** and claims inside sources. He puts it out there to get clicks. If it is a little outrageous, so much the better. There is no real basis for ANY of his stuff. He is not connected. He is not an insider. IIRC he was right once - blind monkey syndrome.

I don't know, I guess we will always disagree.

When I visit his site I think of it as what it is and enjoy it for that.

But mainly I'll give anybody attention if their putting original content out.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
If Colorado flips Shattenkirk at deadline why not?

Perhaps STL and NYR/BOS/TOR/NJD don't have the cap+player harmony but Denver does.

Prob nets the Avs a young scoring winger + East coast 2nd or 1st + Blues 1st + Blues prospect for Duchy. That's a good haul.

It's obviously not a great deal for the Avs if your plan for the team is to be competitive soon.

Trading a great top 6 center for a rental PPQ-PMD plus a high pick and great prospect isn't that bad when you consider you can flip Shatty for more picks and prospects. Contenders will pay a very high price for Shatty at the TDL, which would be a pretty good return overall for Duchene if your plan is to build for the future.

Great plan, guys!!! :laugh:

It's trading a top center to a division rival for a bunch of magic beans...it's a horrible idea for the Avs. IF they were to trade Duchene AND they wanted a 'futures package' back in return, it is hopeful that Avs management are smart enough to get extremely good assets back in return which includes at least one young d-man that is close to NHL ready and has the potential to be at least a top-4 guy. (for example : Sergachev)

What you two obvious blues fans are suggesting is that the Avs trade for a soon to be UFA along with a pick (likely to be #25 - #31) plus Schmaltz (hey, waddaya know a guy picked #25!!! those guys ALWAYS work out :sarcasm:) and then trade the UFA for another pick that's likely to be (#20 - #31).

What could go wrong?? :laugh:

You guys got swindled on Yakupov, the Avs feel your pain but don't want to compensate you for your mistake. Do you want to give us a 4th for Eric Gelinas? I didn't think so.

warrior67

Jul 16, 2016
hockey purgatory
I don't know, I guess we will always disagree.

When I visit his site I think of it as what it is and enjoy it for that.

But mainly I'll give anybody attention if their putting original content out.

Plus the actual trade doesn't account for all of the trade talks that took place between GMs, so there is really no way to tell which rumors are/were true or false. All of eklunds rumors "could" be mostly true, but they just never come to fruition. (although a lot of them don't even seem to logically fit a teams need)

warrior67

Jul 16, 2016
hockey purgatory

It's trading a top center to a division rival for a bunch of magic beans...it's a horrible idea for the Avs. IF they were to trade Duchene AND they wanted a 'futures package' back in return, it is hopeful that Avs management are smart enough to get extremely good assets back in return which includes at least one young d-man that is close to NHL ready and has the potential to be at least a top-4 guy. (for example : Sergachev)

What you two obvious blues fans are suggesting is that the Avs trade for a soon to be UFA along with a pick (likely to be #25 - #31) plus Schmaltz (hey, waddaya know a guy picked #25!!! those guys ALWAYS work out :sarcasm:) and then trade the UFA for another pick that's likely to be (#20 - #31).

You guys got swindled on Yakupov, the Avs feel your pain but don't want to compensate you for your mistake. Do you want to give us a 4th for Eric Gelinas? I didn't think so.

Flame on buddy. Avs management has been absolutely terrific thus far so I'm sure you guys will get a great return on the players you sell! :help:

Beninnola

Mar 29, 2012

Oh, my comment wasn't valuation, only theory.

But since you've brought it up:

Does a 6mil top 6 center @ 2.5 yrs of control, .8ppg

Equal the value of a late 1st D prospect, a late 1st pick upcoming, AND whatever the expected return is for Shattenkirk?

I think neutral eyes would say yes, assuming any of the popular Shattenkirk trade rumors are true and Colorado could have as much.

Last edited:

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Flame on buddy. Avs management has been absolutely terrific thus far so I'm sure you guys will get a great return on the players you sell! :help:

In my opinion, it wasn't really a flame, but rather an attempt to inject some common sense into the discussion, which is often in short supply on this particular board. Here's a helpful hint to guide you: if something sounds too good to be true in terms of a proposal for your particular team, it usually is.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002

Ah I see...so then we should expect a horrible return??

You can think what you want but Zadorov is coming along nicely for a 21 year old d-man. Grigorenko was always a long-shot to be a top-6 forward. Let's see what kind of impact J.T. Compher and AJ Greer have over the next few years before we decide how 'terrific' or not Avs this Avs management group has been.

I'll take Zads + those 2 guys over ROR at $7.5M quite easily personally. If the Avs had given him that contract, I doubt very seriously that they would have been able to sign MacKinnon to $6.3M per.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Oh, my comment wasn't valuation, only theory.

But since you've brought it up:

Does a 6mil top 6 center @ 2.5 yrs of control, .8ppg

Equal the value of a late 1st D prospect, a late 1st pick upcoming, AND whatever the expected return is for Shattenkirk?

I think neutral eyes would say yes,

The operative word is 'late' and I would think not. Make a poll if you want but three 1st round picks where you're picking at around #25 is not even close to fair value for a guy who's as established as Duchene.

Would you give up FIVE late first round picks for Tarasenko? I doubt it.

Beninnola

Mar 29, 2012
The operative word is 'late' and I would think not. Make a poll if you want but three 1st round picks where you're picking at around #25 is not even close to fair value for a guy who's as established as Duchene.

Would you give up FIVE late first round picks for Tarasenko? I doubt it.

Im not sure, but certainly not while in a playoff position.

Also, Vova was a 16th pick, so using him as the example may not be ideal.

And I don't think Shattenkirk will add one late first rounder.

I feel his value could bring much more, given the number of East Coast contenders who are lacking at PP and or top 4 Rhd).

Oct 18, 2011
yeah eklund, explain to your readers how the worst team in the league trades it's best young player for a rental and spare parts
:facepalm:

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Eklund wildly stabbing in the dark. Avs aren't going to trade for a rental Shattenkirk when they are dead last in the NHL.

C'mon.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
I wish people would stop clicking on Eklund threads just to write this stuff to the people that write this stuff. If you don't like it, then don't click on the thread.

:D

If there's a third team involved, and the logic of dealing Shattenkirk if he doesn't pan out holds true, then I guess maybe this might make sense if you stand on your head and spin.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00