Eklund Rumor: Shattenkirk, prospect, pick for Duchene and a pick?

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Would be pretty disappointed if the biggest piece was a guy whose contract is up at the end of the year.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Please, please, please, please let this one Eklund rumor be true!!!! We don't care if Eklund puts out 5000 more rumors every day for eternity.. Just let this 1 be correct.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while right??

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Sadly, I think DA views Shatty as a rental player that we already own and that he has just accepted the fact that he is walking. DA would rather take a chance with him in the playoffs because "anything can happen once you get to the big dance" and he'd rather have his production than to accept picks that would help us in the future.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Sadly, I think DA views Shatty as a rental player that we already own and that he has just accepted the fact that he is walking. DA would rather take a chance with him in the playoffs because "anything can happen once you get to the big dance" and he'd rather have his production than to accept picks that would help us in the future.

It's probably the right move. Anything you get back in a deadline deal would not have a better positive impact than Shatty for the post season.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It's probably the right move. Anything you get back in a deadline deal would not have a better positive impact than Shatty for the post season.

At this point, any center upgrade would be worth it. Parayko or Pietrangelo could QB the top PP unit, and while it's a downgrade, it's not significant. Bortozzo can play the 3rd pairing role just fine with Pietrangelo and Parayko ahead of him.

Lehtera is pure garbage and Berglund is a decent 3rd line center. We will go nowhere with a center top 9 of Stastny-Lehtera-Berglund. I don't care how stacked our defense is, that center core is garbage.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

X2. Its annoying but a justifiable position to take. Unless you get a great offer, a 20+ pick isnt much to get excited about.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
FYI... Chuck Gormley reported during the Caps-Flyers game the other night that the Flyers are heavily looking for a Top-4 D and think that could make them a legit playoff team that could surprise. They have been linked (via "rumor") to Shattenkirk a couple of times in the past.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
At this point, any center upgrade would be worth it. Parayko or Pietrangelo could QB the top PP unit, and while it's a downgrade, it's not significant. Bortozzo can play the 3rd pairing role just fine with Pietrangelo and Parayko ahead of him.

Lehtera is pure garbage and Berglund is a decent 3rd line center. We will go nowhere with a center top 9 of Stastny-Lehtera-Berglund. I don't care how stacked our defense is, that center core is garbage.

I offer one Tyler Bozak.:handclap:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
FYI... Chuck Gormley reported during the Caps-Flyers game the other night that the Flyers are heavily looking for a Top-4 D and think that could make them a legit playoff team that could surprise. They have been linked (via "rumor") to Shattenkirk a couple of times in the past.

They almost acquired him around the time we traded Oshie.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
If Shatty had 6Mx7y extension ready, I could do this deal. Otherwise, pointless.

lindroshomer

Jan 21, 2016
Ontario
I don't see why Colorado would want a similar player to Barrie who would play a similar role with a similar contract.

That being said, Duchene has a load of speed and skill but it doesn't seem to translate to points and wins with the Avs...He's won loads with Canada but not the Avs. Same with McKinnon and Landeskog. There has been Duchene rumors around for 2 years now? I don't see why it would be Shattenkirk...that being said I say that under the assumption Joe Sakic knows what he is doing...which evidence suggests that the worst team in the NHL's GM doesn't have a clue.

I honestly just want to see a big time trade ASAP. I don't see how this isn't a straight up swap either, a "hockey trade" type of thing. Colorado has to move some trash out though don't they?

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Shots fired. So you dont think StL with an added Duchene is a contender?

That'd be a very good fit for Duchene imo. Just don't know if Duchene and Yeo will work well once Hitch leaves. But I do see Duchene being a terrific centre for St. Louis, but St. Louis doesn't have nothing other than Shattenkirk to give up; Shattenkirk should be traded to a team like the Rangers. Was also thinking about the Flyers or Habs.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
Shattenkirk, a pending UFA, as the principal piece in a trade for Duchene, who has two contractual years remaining after this makes little intelligent or logical sense, particularly considering the Avs are a rebuilding team.

Additionally, the Avs already have two RHDs locked up long term in Erik Johnson and Barrie. A RHD is not the biggest need, it is a LHD that can play in the top 4. Further, Shattenkirk is unlikely to sign in Colorado given the past relationship.

It is a rumor completely devoid of intelligence or logic.

1) Obviously any big deal for Shattenkirk would involve him agreeing to a new contract with that team.
2) He had no issues with his "past relationship" with the Avs. As a matter of fact he has talked about how he loved his time in Colorado.
3) Johnson has played more than 75 games for Colorado exactly once and Barrie is always being discussed, according to media that are considered the "good" rumor people on HF.
4) I see you are another person who doesn't pay attention to his rating system and looks at everything he posts as him claiming it will happen. Not very logical, nor intelligent. I'll post that chart from his website, so you can see what you ignore.

What is the E-System (e1, e2, e3, etc.)?

The E-System was devised with the intelligent hockey fan in mind as a way for Eklund to give subtle clues to rumors that are posted, as well as to gauge the likelihood of a rumor turning into an actual trade or free agent signing.

E1 - This is a rumor that comes from a single reliable source not in any way directly connected to the players or teams involved.
E2 - This rumor is simply more than one reliable sources not in any way directly connected to the players or teams involved and not connected to each other. It does not have to equate to two E1's. It could be several E1's.
E3 - This rumor comes from a single source with ties somehow to the players or teams involved.
E4 - This rumor comes from more than one source with ties to the players or teams involved.
E5 - This rumor comes from source telling Eklund the deal is 100% done and just has not been announced yet.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
1) Obviously any big deal for Shattenkirk would involve him agreeing to a new contract with that team.
2) He had no issues with his "past relationship" with the Avs. As a matter of fact he has talked about how he loved his time in Colorado.
3) Johnson has played more than 75 games for Colorado exactly once and Barrie is always being discussed, according to media that are considered the "good" rumor people on HF.
4) I see you are another person who doesn't pay attention to his rating system and looks at everything he posts as him claiming it will happen. Not very logical, nor intelligent. I'll post that chart from his website, so you can see what you ignore.

What is the E-System (e1, e2, e3, etc.)?

The E-System was devised with the intelligent hockey fan in mind as a way for Eklund to give subtle clues to rumors that are posted, as well as to gauge the likelihood of a rumor turning into an actual trade or free agent signing.

E1 - This is a rumor that comes from a single reliable source not in any way directly connected to the players or teams involved.
E2 - This rumor is simply more than one reliable sources not in any way directly connected to the players or teams involved and not connected to each other. It does not have to equate to two E1's. It could be several E1's.
E3 - This rumor comes from a single source with ties somehow to the players or teams involved.
E4 - This rumor comes from more than one source with ties to the players or teams involved.
E5 - This rumor comes from source telling Eklund the deal is 100% done and just has not been announced yet.

You keep using terms like intelligence and logic, but I am not convinced that you fully understand the meaning of those words. When you need to start insulting others who disagree with you by calling them unintelligent, while implicitly asserting that only your opinion has validity, you are already proceeding down a slippery slope in my opinion.

Now the rumor is based on Shattenkirk signing a new contract with the Avs? It seems like a stretch to have close to $20 million in AAV tied up in three RHDs, wouldn't you agree?

Would the Avs be trading Duchene primarily for the right to negotiate with Shattenkirk? I am big on historical precedent with respect to trades, and that is something wildly out of bounds with what we have traditionally seen. When things are being suggested that are not consistent with historical precedent, I tend to be skeptical, to say the least.

Further, you posted a chart from Eklund that shows his various "E" ratings, which based on his ranking of this particular gem of a rumor, has multiple sources.

Here is the language from Eklund's rumor:

"...and this morning, from three separate sources comes an interesting rumor. All three have different opinions on the "other pieces" involved (although all say a conditional pick, something like a #1 or #3, depending on an extension for Shattenkirk) and two agree there would be another "NHL ready prospect" heading to Colorado."

In his rumor, Eklund basically states that the Avs would be trading Duchene for the negotiating rights to Shattenkirk, with perhaps a conditional pick and an NHL ready prospect. His rumor is not based on Colorado having an extension worked out with Shattenkirk, which is not consistent with you portrayed in your post above.

If this rumor came to fruition, Colorado could fail to re-sign Shattenkirk, and have only a late first round pick and a prospect to show for trading Duchene. It essentially would be a UFA rental price that they would have traded Duchene for, which obviously is not very realistic.

Last edited:

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
You keep using terms like intelligence and logic, but I am not convinced that you fully understand the meaning of those words. When you need to start insulting others who disagree with you by calling them unintelligent, while implicitly asserting that only your opinion has validity, you are already proceeding down a slippery slope in my opinion.
Pot calling the kettle black much?
It is interesting that I say that what you said is not logical or intelligent and you turn that into me calling you unintelligent. Is this a personal issue or just making things up?

Now the rumor is based on Shattenkirk signing a new contract with the Avs? It seems like a stretch to have close to $20 million in AAV tied up in three RHDs, wouldn't you agree?

1) Every rumor about Shattenkirk has involved him signing for the team. I have yet to see one that is about renting him. That's why he did not go to Edmonton.
2) It's clear you didn't bother to read what I wrote about those defenseman.

Would the Avs be trading Duchene primarily for the right to negotiate with Shattenkirk? I am big on historical precedent with respect to trades, and that is something wildly out of bounds with what we have traditionally seen. When things are being suggested that are not consistent with historical precedent, I tend to be skeptical, to say the least.

No, it's about the other team getting the chance to negotiate with the player and come to an agreement before the trade is made. This happens in pro sports. This has been discussed many times when it comes to Shattenkirk and, as a matter of fact, apparently his agent had discussions with Arizona last summer.

Further, you posted a chart from Eklund that shows his various "E" ratings, which based on his ranking of this particular gem of a rumor, has multiple sources.

Here is the language from Eklund's rumor:

"...and this morning, from three separate sources comes an interesting rumor. All three have different opinions on the "other pieces" involved (although all say a conditional pick, something like a #1 or #3, depending on an extension for Shattenkirk) and two agree there would be another "NHL ready prospect" heading to Colorado."

In his rumor, Eklund basically states that the Avs would be trading Duchene for the negotiating rights to Shattenkirk, with perhaps a conditional pick and an NHL ready prospect. His rumor is not based on Colorado having an extension worked out with Shattenkirk, which is not consistent with you portrayed in your post above.
I see you still ignore his ratings.
I also see you have taken what is written "depending on an extension" and turned it into "trading for the rights to negotiate." Nowhere does it say that, it simply says the condidtional pick say "depending on an extension" that could be about how many years the extension is, what the cost in dollars is, etc. but you only see it your way. Who is the one implicitly asserting only his opinion has validity?

If this rumor came to fruition, Colorado could fail to re-sign Shattenkirk, and have only a late first round pick and a prospect to show for trading Duchene. It essentially would be a UFA rental price that they would have traded Duchene for, which obviously is not very realistic.

I guarantee you, if Shattenkirk is traded before mid-February, it will involve a signed contract with the new team.

Nice job ignoring most of what I posted and making things up. It's clear I have no reason to discuss this further with you. Have a happy and safe New Year's Eve.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad