Speculation: Shattenkirk & Fowler?

bluetuned

Mar 1, 2013
Chicago
Has there been any insider information on how the Shatty negotiations are going? I'm curious because with the emergence of Parayko, I imagine it might be a bit harder to sign Shatty to a decent long term contract.

I don't think there is much of a chance that there are any negotiations going on. The Blues and Shattenkirk both know they're going to part ways. It's just a question of whether it happens now via trade or next summer via free agency.

mytduxfan*

:laugh: You're getting a young top two center for a package built around an expiring contract and your complaint is Mark Fayne? Oi. You're looking that gift horse so far down the mouth you can see its tonsils.

Except they're not getting a young #2C for Shatty, they're getting him for Shatty + Lehtera (slightly overpaid, but not by much and still a quality player) + Ty Rattie. Fayne does nothing for STL. He's essentially a cap dump for EDM. IMO, that's a lot for RNH. I like RNH, but I feel that EDM overpaid to sign him up long-term. If RNH's contract was 5M per instead of 6M, I'd say that he's worth Shatty with a provisional deal agreed upon i.e. trade and sign.

But Shattenkirk isn't interested in signing an extension with Edmonton. If he was open to that, Taylor Hall would be on the Blues right now.

I doubt it. I don't think STL wants to keep Shatty in the West and I don't think EDM gives up that much for an unsigned Shatty. Personally, I'm not convinced that Larsson becomes anything more then a #2D. However, it seems that PCs options were limited. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that STL and ANA were quickly putting the phone down on calls from EDM.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Has there been any insider information on how the Shatty negotiations are going? I'm curious because with the emergence of Parayko, I imagine it might be a bit harder to sign Shatty to a decent long term contract.
I don't think there really are Shattenkirk negotiations going on. I'd be shocked if the two sides were even talking right now. Apparently the Blues asked him what he'd be looking for before the draft, and it was high. He wants Pietrangelo money (so we're talking at least 6.5 million per year - which now is an insane steal for a guy of Petro's caliber, BTW) and the Blues aren't going to give him that. But he'll surely get it on the open market. So they explored trading him, and didn't get the offers they wanted.

I doubt talks really gain much traction at all at any point. Like the Blues' beat writer Jeremy Rutherford said, if the Blues didn't like Shattenkirk's asking price in June, they're not going to like it any more in September. He's as good as gone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad