Post-Game Talk: SHATTENCAPS @ rags 7PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
This Caps team is so inconsistent with its physical play. Does Barry designate some games as hitting games, but not others?

I think its more about being a versatile team. They can play it anyway you want it.

I think it was more about Wilson being on the first line and getting nearly 20 mins of TOI last night.

Oshie there would give us more offense and less hitting (altho Oshie is no slouch in the physical department). Wilson is just a heat seeking missile.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
This Caps team is so inconsistent with its physical play. Does Barry designate some games as hitting games, but not others?

I think Wilson got the 1RW start in part to reward play and also to wake up Ovie and the team. They both immediately laid hard hits on the first shift to try and set the tone. It helped but it wasn't until the Winnik fight that the Caps really came out of hibernation, imo.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

The answer is pretty simple. It's entirely unrealistic to expect a team to "bring it" with tough physical play night in and night out over the grind of an 82 game season. These guys are human. They have bumps and bruises and aches and pains and they have games where they're not feeling it and they do a fly-by instead of finishing their check.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
So Shatty seemed impressed with Schmidt's skating in his post-game interview. And Schmitty did have a couple of his you-can't-keep-up-with-me skate-it-out D zone break-outs last night. Will be interested to see if there's a difference in style of play and results with Shatty-Orpik versus Shatty-Schmidt.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Looks like Ovechkin ended up separating the shoulder of Jesper Fast last night.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
Rags fans very salty after that loss. If you think this place gets bad then you've got no idea.

Wilson was a man out there last night. Won some key battles,got under their skin and really held his own. If you think he has no value...the three plus pages of Rags fans talking about him tell me otherwise.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
So Shatty seemed impressed with Schmidt's skating in his post-game interview. And Schmitty did have a couple of his you-can't-keep-up-with-me skate-it-out D zone break-outs last night. Will be interested to see if there's a difference in style of play and results with Shatty-Orpik versus Shatty-Schmidt.

there is an evolution for a new player coming in. Shattenkirk is starting with simple, basic plays anyway and will add his game in bit by bit. But when Orpik arrives he will have less to worry about.

With Schmidt he has to be more prepared to be the safety defenseman. He wont with Orpik. Schmidt can get overpowered in a puck battle. Orpik rarely will be. Schmidt will make a young player goof still. Orpik wont.

With Orpik Shattenkirk will be able to open up the jets

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Rags fans very salty after that loss. If you think this place gets bad then you've got no idea.

Wilson was a man out there last night. Won some key battles,got under their skin and really held his own. If you think he has no value...the three plus pages of Rags fans talking about him tell me otherwise.

I read some of that. They didn't like the Caps getting heavy on them. They wanted someone to step up to Ov after he ran Fast thru the boards. This is why Wilson is so valuable. First, the Rangers wouldn't throw down with Ov last night because Wilson was out there. The problem the Rangers had getting pushed around last night doesn't happen to the Caps because Wilson is there.

Wilson killed them on the pk. Had the nice steal for the shorty chance. Beat them for the puck 5 on 5 and kept possessions a live. And rode shotgun.

Caps are not going to leave that player unprotected

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
If Niskanen can play like he did last night in the playoffs... that's huge. I mean that was a pure #1 D-man game from him.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
I'd be pissed as a Rangers fan also. I thought they played a good game and lost on a few nifty deflections.

Arguably the best game I've ever seen from Tom Wilson.

Who knows, with confidence he might be a serviceable 3rd liner.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
If Niskanen can play like he did last night in the playoffs... that's huge. I mean that was a pure #1 D-man game from him.

He played well but he played 17 minutes... (or whatever it was). These days our #1D is the guy who plays with Alzner.

Last edited:

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
RE: Rangers fans :cry::cry: "Refs didn't save us from the bad meanies on the other team!":cry::cry:

Guys like Nash and Stepan flopping all over the ice to plead for calls.

RE: Niskanen - He's been playing like a #1 all year in my book.

Caps really dominated the last 45 minutes of the game and the only real looks the Blueshirts got were when they got a couple late PPs. Lundqvuist kept them in the game as usual.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
I read some of that. They didn't like the Caps getting heavy on them. They wanted someone to step up to Ov after he ran Fast thru the boards. This is why Wilson is so valuable. First, the Rangers wouldn't throw down with Ov last night because Wilson was out there. The problem the Rangers had getting pushed around last night doesn't happen to the Caps because Wilson is there.

Wilson killed them on the pk. Had the nice steal for the shorty chance. Beat them for the puck 5 on 5 and kept possessions a live. And rode shotgun.

I agree 100%. Rangers still upset because CBJ took it to them physically as well. Willy also won some face offs just by being the aggressor on a tie up situation.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
RE: Rangers fans :cry::cry: "Refs didn't save us from the bad meanies on the other team!":cry::cry:

Caps really dominated the last 45 minutes of the game and the only real looks the Blueshirts got were when they got a couple late PPs. Lundqvuist kept them in the game as usual.

Caps skated circles around the Rangers after the first 15 minutes last time too. The Rangers could have blown the doors off in the first but the Caps easily controlled the game after that. The King was the difference in that game.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
You'd think with all of the choking jokes and comments made by Rangers fans that they'd have won a Cup more recently than 20+ years ago. Whatever makes them feel better, I guess.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Caps skated circles around the Rangers after the first 15 minutes last time too. The Rangers could have blown the doors off in the first but the Caps easily controlled the game after that. The King was the difference in that game.

I actually missed that game but the box score seemed to indicate what you allude to.

Last night they did it without Oshie and Orpik in addition to Burakovsky.

If Orpik was playing we would have probably hurt another one of their players with a clean hit.

Then guys like McDonagh, Stepan an Zuccarello would give the offending Caps player a really really really mean look.

AV probably misses Glass and McIlrath now. Those guys weren't good players but at least they had a spine.

Also I honestly think Grabner is scared to play us and has been ever since Trotz came on board.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
You'd think with all of the choking jokes and comments made by Rangers fans that they'd have won a Cup more recently than 20+ years ago. Whatever makes them feel better, I guess.

eh....when all you have left to say is, "Your mother wears combat boots", you look pretty pathetic. They can always say, "The Caps did beat the snot out of us, but they will choke in the playoffs". BFD.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
eh....when all you have left to say is, "Your mother wears combat boots", you look pretty pathetic. They can always say, "The Caps did beat the snot out of us, but they will choke in the playoffs". BFD.

Rangers also refer to us like "Oh we always beat them in the playoffs so bring them on!"

They conveniently forget we beat them in 09 and 11.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Complaining about the referees is pretty silly when they had the 4-1 PP advantage in the first 57 minutes. After that the game was pretty much all over already.

Referees are the ones that gave them a chance in the first place.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009

I was little surprised how soft the Rangers were. I know they are a speed team but that was laughable. Like a true AV team though they responded with flopping and the refs are still buying it all these years later though.

I loved Wilson's game last night on top of the protection. He did a good job of fighting for the puck and then get it to Nicky and then going to the net with his stick on the ice.

The refs were laughable last night. Call a Trip on the Caps in the neutral zone while completely ignoring a Cap getting tripped about 45 seconds before. Also can't remember the last time I saw a Cross Check with no extension of the arms.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Rangers also refer to us like "Oh we always beat them in the playoffs so bring them on!"

They conveniently forget we beat them in 09 and 11.

Before the KSK trade, a lot of their fans kept saying "I know I should fear the Capitals, but I don't". I wonder of they feel the same way now. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad