Sharp or Dull Skates?

NYRSinceBirth

Feb 24, 2007
Its def not your weight.

It doesn't have to be. He could either be a very strong skater or is really hard on his edges (both in the sense that he uses his edges efficiently or really digs).

If you don't want to sacrifice bite, use wood to dull it a hair. We have a bunch of useless extensions/butt ends that we use if necessary (Like, if an 8" has 6' cut off). Find something like that, or the penny.

Pog Form

Jan 9, 2009
Toronto, ON
I get a 5/8ths and feel like it's perfect - after 2 hrs of skating. I don't know if I should stick with what I have or try something new. I feel way too much edge for the first hour or two, and then it's good for a few hours.

I would try a 3/4 next time. If you feel you don't have enough grip with that hollow, try the 11/16 the following time. One of those two should do the trick for you.

I hear that doing it in that order (from shallow to deep) is better because you'll lose less of your blade during the grinding.

Good luck!

Saved*

It doesn't have to be. He could either be a very strong skater or is really hard on his edges (both in the sense that he uses his edges efficiently or really digs).

If you don't want to sacrifice bite, use wood to dull it a hair. We have a bunch of useless extensions/butt ends that we use if necessary (Like, if an 8" has 6' cut off). Find something like that, or the penny.

I'm a very strong, fast skater, very fast acceleration. I get a full, deep stride. When I play with a fresh blade, I dig in way too much and I don't have the agility, push off etc that I'm used to, so I play bad.

NYRSinceBirth

Feb 24, 2007
I'm a very strong, fast skater, very fast acceleration. I get a full, deep stride. When I play with a fresh blade, I dig in way too much and I don't have the agility, push off etc that I'm used to, so I play bad.

That's precisely my point. Canada was right to reference your weight, bigger guys dig more, whether you want to or not. But, lighter guys can have the same effect depending on how they skate.

I'm in both camps, but 5/8" feels perfect (Maybe 11/16").

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Ask your sharpener. You should be specifying. Hollow matters. If you're getting the standard, you're not getting something that suits you properly. If it's 'grabby', yours is too deep. If you're sliding all over the place or don't have grip turning, it's too shallow.

Do you go to the same place all the time for sharpenings? If you do they should know your cut, just tell them that you have to dull the blades and the will help find a hollow that works for you. Make sure you ask what hollow you are getting so you can keep track.

People really need to communicate with there skate guy, he can drastically change your game for better or for worse.

If this place doesnt offer you many different hollows, you should find a new shop. Being in Mississauga is great for you because there are literally tons of great shops that know their ****.

We are quite spoiled in SO when it comes to this stuff and we all should be taking advantage of it.

With a little trial and error you will find the perfect hollow Aireaye, and it will be like a whole new game. :)

Ive been going to Sportchek (yes, yes I know, not the best etc.etc.) because I have a sharpening card good for 10 times. I'll ask the guy there what my ideal hollow should be, but maybe you guys can tell me:

- 130lbs
-5'9"
- I only stop right foot forward so this might affect an edge on each blade
- I cant do very sharp turns, but I do do turns
- I can only pivot counterclockwise

Thanks guys :)

O and btw CanadaBacon, what's your take on retail sharpenings (ex.Prohockeylife, Sportchek) vs arena/small shop sharpenings (Play it Again, Source for Sports)?

CanadaBacon

#SavetheGoons
Mar 15, 2009
Hamilton
Ive been going to Sportchek (yes, yes I know, not the best etc.etc.) because I have a sharpening card good for 10 times. I'll ask the guy there what my ideal hollow should be, but maybe you guys can tell me:

- 130lbs
-5'9"
- I only stop right foot forward so this might affect an edge on each blade
- I cant do very sharp turns, but I do do turns
- I can only pivot counterclockwise

Thanks guys :)

O and btw CanadaBacon, what's your take on retail sharpenings (ex.Prohockeylife, Sportchek) vs arena/small shop sharpenings (Play it Again, Source for Sports)?

Out of all of those, Source is the only one i would personally go to.
PHL is a joke (Hamilton store). I have a buddy who swears by the store and he went in to get his skates sharpened and he asked for a 3/8". The guy at the store says "thats the "C" cut". I say "WTF is a "C" cut? he wants 3/8". Then the guy said "its about a 3/8" its our "bite" cut". I just kinda laughed and shook my head.

Streetsville Sports is pretty good
CLP Sports used to be great, havnt been there in awhile though.
Berts Sports is a firetrucking great shop and you can get flat bottom if you like.
Thats all i really know in Mississauga.

If you want to make the trip to Brampton, Sports Unlimited is probably one of the best shops i have ever been to (for sharpenings)

I would start with a 1/2" cut (unless that is what you have been getting, then i would go up to a 5/8" until you get a bit stronger on your steel)

f2racer

Aug 27, 2009
Try the FBV sharpening...I went from 11/16" hollow to 100/50 (equivalent of 1/2") and get more bite and glide but don't catch edges anymore.

I recently had a pair of skates sharpened using 90/75 FBV and found that I could skate hard immediately with them. I'm usually on either 1/2" or 9/16" hollow and need a little time on them before I feel comfortable on freshly sharpened skates.

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
Does switching back and forth between FBV sharpenings and regular ones have a drastic effect on your blade?

I would consider getting an FBV, but if I didn't like it and wanted to switch back I'd be afraid of taking it to my normal place. My normal sharpening place doesn't do FBVs, so I'd be afraid of them looking at it, getting confused, and then mangling the blade.

Is it easy to go back and forth? Remember this is from the perspective of its effect on the blade, and not how they feel on the ice.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
FBV probably takes less steel to sharpen since it's basically flat with a couple really, really tiny edges, whereas the regular hollow cuts a big arc out of the steel. The initial sharpening might take down some steel, but the subsequent ones should take a lot less than normal.

NYRSinceBirth

Feb 24, 2007
FBV probably takes less steel to sharpen since it's basically flat with a couple really, really tiny edges, whereas the regular hollow cuts a big arc out of the steel. The initial sharpening might take down some steel, but the subsequent ones should take a lot less than normal.

Without cross grinding, steel removal would be minimal no matter the cut (Hollow/FBV). But jumping between FBV and a hollow would necessitate cross grinding I assume, correct? That would eat up steel.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
No. Cross grinding is really only necessary when changing profile. Sometimes when skates have been extremely screwed up before you might cross grind them to get a fresh start to make it easier to work on them, but you would not need to cross grind going between systems.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Got a 5/8 sharpening, gonna try it at my game tonight, I noticed that it's scary shallow compared to the standard 1/2 that ive always used. Hope I dont fall too much

robmneilson

Aug 27, 2009
www.robmneilson.com
I've been skating on 5/8s for awhile, and got them sharpened for the first time in ten or so games, and had some problems with too much bite last night.

I'm interested in the FBV cut though, next time I go into the shop I think I'll have to ask then what they think.

Since I'm a big guy I could really use some extra speed in my glide!

CanadaBacon

#SavetheGoons
Mar 15, 2009
Hamilton
I've been skating on 5/8s for awhile, and got them sharpened for the first time in ten or so games, and had some problems with too much bite last night.

I'm interested in the FBV cut though, next time I go into the shop I think I'll have to ask then what they think.

Since I'm a big guy I could really use some extra speed in my glide!

Alot of shops dont do FBV, might have to search around

PS Aire, let us know how it goes.

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
That's precisely my point. Canada was right to reference your weight, bigger guys dig more, whether you want to or not. But, lighter guys can have the same effect depending on how they skate.

I'm in both camps, but 5/8" feels perfect (Maybe 11/16").

Yep ... I am 240lbs and use a 3/4" hollow .... I bet if a small guy used that he would be falling down from losing his edge or close to it.

It is perfect for me as I dig in with my weight pretty good and I no longer have to dull my skates as they do not over grab.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Alot of shops dont do FBV, might have to search around

PS Aire, let us know how it goes.

Bleh, the 5/8 feels like the standard 1/2 but after 5-6 practises/games. We lost 2-1 and I fell alot, not of my own skating, but by contact etc.

Im gonna go back to the 1/2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad