Sharp or Dull Skates?

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
I find that hard to believe as well.

I know guys that might go 6 months but 5 years?

I usually sharpen no less then every 5 games.

New skate blades are junk and don't hold edges. I have had these blades for about 15 years. Skates in general are junk now and don't last more than a couple of seasons even for a novice player. I still have a pair of Kangaroo Tacks that I got in 1980 and I can still play in them. And I have skated since I was 14 months old (45 now) and could skate on plywood blades. I used to skate with my skates untied just to improve balance and strength.
Skates now are made to wear out so you have to buy new ones and good skate sharpening generates revenue so blades are a lesser quality as well. It's not just skates, it's most things. I'm sure someone could make a car that lasted 100 years but nobody would dare make one because car sales would die. Only thing that lasts forever is old hockey players.

Saved*

New skate blades are junk and don't hold edges. I have had these blades for about 15 years. Skates in general are junk now and don't last more than a couple of seasons even for a novice player. I still have a pair of Kangaroo Tacks that I got in 1980 and I can still play in them. And I have skated since I was 14 months old (45 now) and could skate on plywood blades. I used to skate with my skates untied just to improve balance and strength.
Skates now are made to wear out so you have to buy new ones and good skate sharpening generates revenue so blades are a lesser quality as well. It's not just skates, it's most things. I'm sure someone could make a car that lasted 100 years but nobody would dare make one because car sales would die. Only thing that lasts forever is old hockey players.

Who really shot JFK?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I dont really like the sharpness right off the sharpener, so optimal for me is a session or 2 after a sharpening

CanadaBacon

#SavetheGoons
Mar 15, 2009
Hamilton

What does any of that have to do with not sharpening your skates in 5+ years?

Gunnar Stahl 30

...In The World!
Dec 9, 2006
Marty's Better
I dont really like the sharpness right off the sharpener, so optimal for me is a session or 2 after a sharpening

i was the same way but now it can get them to where i like them after warmup.

i get mine sharpened after every about game and a half. i play mens league and coach a team so after the game and practice i sharpen them 1/2 inch

xtr3m

Jan 28, 2009
Vancouver
Paul Coffey preferred to grind the blades of his skates to a very dull finish resulting in him "gliding" over the surface of the ice.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
If the finish is duller, it means there's more friction and you'll glide less.

What Coffey did do was use a 2 inch hollow. Extremely shallow, nearly flat.

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
I find that I occasionally have trouble stopping with freshly sharpened blades.

When I first hit the ice I do forward/backwards crossovers right and left, tight turns right and left, then stops on both sides.

After that I find that I'm perfectly happy with sharp blades. I actually prefer them, as I go very deep on my edges when I'm turning. With dull blades I always seem to blow a gasket on a quick tight turn.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
What dont you like about it?

I find that I occasionally have trouble stopping with freshly sharpened blades.

When I first hit the ice I do forward/backwards crossovers right and left, tight turns right and left, then stops on both sides.

After that I find that I'm perfectly happy with sharp blades. I actually prefer them, as I go very deep on my edges when I'm turning. With dull blades I always seem to blow a gasket on a quick tight turn.

What noobman said, as I have a feeling that I'll break something if I stop hard on freshly sharpened skates :p

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
Yeah I hate the feeling of trying to stop on freshly sharpened skates, so I do prefer dull ones. The ones I have now were sharpened when I bought them a year ago and haven't been sharpened since.

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
What noobman said, as I have a feeling that I'll break something if I stop hard on freshly sharpened skates :p

Haha! I remember when I was still learning how to skate.... with freshly sharpened blades I could not stop -- period!

NYRSinceBirth

Feb 24, 2007
Grip and sharpness are not synonyms. But no one seems to be mentioning glide, which defense men seem to like a lot.

All skates are equally sharp when sharpened, but different hollows give you different bite/glide characteristics. The shallower the hollow, the less but but better glide, and the deeper the hollow the more bite but less glide.

Skates dull over time (duh) so bite deteriorates and glide may marginally improve over time. If it takes a couple skates for 1/2" to feel right, try 9/16" or 5/8". One caveat, however, after that same "break in" period a 5/8" will have even less bite.

Suggestion: If sharpens come cheap or free, skip the break in time and get the hollow that you like, but sharpen them more often. If money or the amount of sharpens becomes an issue, get something slightly sharper and get through the first couple of hours. I sharpen my own skates, so I give myself 5/8" every 4-6 hours worth of skating.

One more thing, skates dull, but it's not completely linear. A 1/2" might feel like 9/16" after a couple hours, but that doesn't mean they will feel like 5/8" in the same time span. The edge deteriorates much quicker and the edge will eventually be completely lost after too long. Glide doesn't necessarily act indirectly with dull sharpens, as nicks and such can affect glide negatively. You can have a 1/2" sharpen bite like a 5/8" and glide like a 1/2" if the steel is in bad enough shape.

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
I'm the idiot who started this thread ... and have since learned about sharpenings by reading this thread even though I have been playing for 35 years or so.

I learned that if you feel the need to take bite off your edge by dulling them on purpose that you have the wrong hollow for your body weight.

I used to do that by using a real copper penny and sliding it up the blade edges twice. It took bite off without dulling the blade.

But since then I switched to a shallower 3/4" hollow and all is perfect. I am not a quick tight turn stop and start fancy schmancy player and did not need a deep hollow. I took the Mike Gartner route (former NHL great who won the speed comp at the earlier skills comps for the allstar game) by having a shallow hollow for speed while giving up some blade bite. he was a power winger type and used his speed off the wing rather than beating 12 guys in a phonebooth with a spazztic stickhandling display.

Anyway i am happy to have my correct hollow now that fits my game.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I have no idea, whatever a 'standard' is I suppose

Ask your sharpener. You should be specifying. Hollow matters. If you're getting the standard, you're not getting something that suits you properly. If it's 'grabby', yours is too deep. If you're sliding all over the place or don't have grip turning, it's too shallow.

Saved*

I get a 5/8ths and feel like it's perfect - after 2 hrs of skating. I don't know if I should stick with what I have or try something new. I feel way too much edge for the first hour or two, and then it's good for a few hours.

CanadaBacon

#SavetheGoons
Mar 15, 2009
Hamilton
I have no idea, whatever a 'standard' is I suppose

Do you go to the same place all the time for sharpenings? If you do they should know your cut, just tell them that you have to dull the blades and the will help find a hollow that works for you. Make sure you ask what hollow you are getting so you can keep track.

People really need to communicate with there skate guy, he can drastically change your game for better or for worse.

If this place doesnt offer you many different hollows, you should find a new shop. Being in Mississauga is great for you because there are literally tons of great shops that know their ****.

We are quite spoiled in SO when it comes to this stuff and we all should be taking advantage of it.

With a little trial and error you will find the perfect hollow Aireaye, and it will be like a whole new game. :)

CanadaBacon

#SavetheGoons
Mar 15, 2009
Hamilton
I'm the idiot who started this thread ... and have since learned about sharpenings by reading this thread even though I have been playing for 35 years or so.

I learned that if you feel the need to take bite off your edge by dulling them on purpose that you have the wrong hollow for your body weight.

I used to do that by using a real copper penny and sliding it up the blade edges twice. It took bite off without dulling the blade.

But since then I switched to a shallower 3/4" hollow and all is perfect. I am not a quick tight turn stop and start fancy schmancy player and did not need a deep hollow. I took the Mike Gartner route (former NHL great who won the speed comp at the earlier skills comps for the allstar game) by having a shallow hollow for speed while giving up some blade bite. he was a power winger type and used his speed off the wing rather than beating 12 guys in a phonebooth with a spazztic stickhandling display.

Anyway i am happy to have my correct hollow now that fits my game.

Thats awesome, congrats.

CanadaBacon

#SavetheGoons
Mar 15, 2009
Hamilton
I get a 5/8ths and feel like it's perfect - after 2 hrs of skating. I don't know if I should stick with what I have or try something new. I feel way too much edge for the first hour or two, and then it's good for a few hours.

Are you a bigger boy? (not trying to say your fat or anything ;) )

might have/want to go up to an 11/16" or 3/4" if you have the weight.

Saved*

Are you a bigger boy? (not trying to say your fat or anything ;) )

might have/want to go up to an 11/16" or 3/4" if you have the weight.

5'10, 175 lbs currently.

I don't know what the deal is, I just know that skating on fresh skates = bad game. Too much bite.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad