TV: Sharp Objects (HBO)

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Very good show so far, episode 3 was fantastic. Amy Adams has been great, everything else solid as HBO usually is.

Exley72

Oct 22, 2017
Loving it so far. I think they’re doing a really great job at making it tough to figure out the killer’s identity.

Reactions: montreal

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Im not sold, the pace is very slow.
Plus I don't enjoy watching some f***ed up drunk chick.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
This has been my most anticipated TV production ever since I read the book it's based on.

Through 4 episodes (mid-point), I'm torn. Yes, it is good, certainly so, but there's something that's it's missing and I can't quite figure it out yet.

Adams puts in a monster performance here. It's near flawless technically too. Some of the best scoring, and editing you will ever see anywhere.

"Sharp Objects" has never made any apologies for wanting to be what it is. It is therefore unfair to blame the show for not living up to one's imaginary standards. What it needs to do it does beautifully. It is meant to be painful to continue watching, it is meant to be slow and it is meant to leave a lot to its viewer's interpretation. The show won't just open up, it was never supposed to in first place.

"Sharp Objects" is not an easy onion to peel, even for a hardcore TV addict like myself. It requires a certain effort and patience .

Reactions: montreal

Exley72

Oct 22, 2017
Im not sold, the pace is very slow.
Plus I don't enjoy watching some ****ed up drunk chick.

Rust gets it.

Boeo.gif

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
While I wasn't as into tonight's episode, I still enjoyed and still am enjoying the series.

Loving it so far. I think they’re doing a really great job at making it tough to figure out the killer’s identity.

Yeah, I have a few ideas as to who it could be, 75% of which are female characters.

Exley72

Oct 22, 2017
While I wasn't as into tonight's episode, I still enjoyed and still am enjoying the series.

Yeah, I have a few ideas as to who it could be, 75% of which are female characters.

It’s def a woman, the way show is hinting.

Reactions: Blender

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I’m enjoying this show a lot, but it can drag at times. I have one guess to who I think it is, if not her then I don’t even have a second guess.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Not what I expected, but looks like it could be headed down the path I suspected. Clip for next week had a weird potential scene it in too.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
I saw the last episode only on Sunday. I'm sold. Looks like I'll have to wait for the DVD (yeah, some people still do that) to watch the whole thing start to finish. Is eight episodes the full length upon completion?

My Best-Carey

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
The author of the Sharp Objects novel is Gillian Flynn who also wrote Gone Girl. I picked up her novel Dark Places at the bookstore, but it will be a while before I read it.

I saw the last episode only on Sunday. I'm sold. Looks like I'll have to wait for the DVD (yeah, some people still do that) to watch the whole thing start to finish. Is eight episodes the full length upon completion?

My Best-Carey

Do you have HBO? You can catch the other episodes on HBOGO. Yes, only 8 episodes unless they do something like they did with Big Little Lies and write a second season. Either way this season should be wrapped up.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Do you have HBO? You can catch the other episodes on HBOGO. Yes, only 8 episodes unless they do something like they did with Big Little Lies and write a second season. Either way this season should be wrapped up.
Amy Adams said she didn't want to do a second season, so I'm not sure how they could do it here.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
As I suspected. Have to say this penultimate episode was good, but maybe could have been better? Perhaps make the perpetrator just a bit scarier? Maybe next week.

Anyway, a lot of things about the show I like. I like that it's set in "the South" (though I'd prefer further south, but oh well), the cinematography, Adora's wardrobe, Alan's wardrobe, the house and some of the music. When this kicked in tonight though...

I love The Everly Brothers (greatest duet ever) and know a lot of their stuff, but had never heard this one. I immediately recognized them though and this is a great track.

Looking forward to next week. Looks like a few of the boys have a decision to a make.

Last edited:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
There is zero chance John Keane is the killer. Zero.

Her mother's role in killing her sister was the big reveal of the episode.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
There is something missing with this show from taking it from good to great. Can’t entirely put my finger on it, but a part of it is definitely the villain part like you guys said. I’ve enjoyed it and will of course watch the finale, but I think I’m happy it’s not going to continue after next weeks episode.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I didn't know anything about the show, just started watching on a whim but it's been pretty good as I would expect from HBO. Sometimes it's a little slow but have really enjoyed it overall.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Wow. Great finale. Didn't see that coming even though I suspected her early on. I went the obvious route and should have known better. Make sure that you watch it all the way into the credits. You get some small clips that you'll want to see. Also a preview of True Detective Series 3... great stuff.

Anyone know the song at the end of the credits (not the Zeppelin track)?

Reactions: Exley72

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad