Post-Game Talk: Sharks win 1-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I don't think you can retain salary for just one season, it would have to be till the end of the contract.

As long as we don't plan to spend to the cap next season, it doesn't matter. We have a lot of cap space coming off with Jokinen, Gooch and Stuart all going away.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
... Buff is signed for 14-15 and 15-16

14-15 cap 5,75
15-16 cap 6

and he has a 5 teams list NTC btw. Didn't knew that until now :D

wow... that changes the whole picture about trading him on deadline.

*edit*

cap in both years is 5.25... sorry my bad

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
So the problem now is that Bogosian has been promoted to the top line and has looked good. Then there's Trouba. Do you put Buff back as the third pair? How does that work? I can't imagine that sitting well. Move Trouba down and pair Buff with Stuart? Wasn't that the combo that produced all our woes? The return of Buffstrom and BogoStuart? It really does seem like the situation is setting up for moving Buff. I would hope that TNSE is only looking to the east though. Wouldn't want him to haunt us. Is there anybody out there with too many LHD and not enough RHD? Maybe a decent 2nd pair LHD and a pick for Buff woudl work for the Jets.

I agree, Buff at D is much more of a luxury than a necessity. I would look to move him for some players who fit other needs.

Targets:

2nd pairing two-way LHD.
Third line center.
Top 6 or 9 two-way RW (Similar player type as Frolik.)
3rd line LW.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
... Buff is signed for 14-15 and 15-16

14-15 cap 5,75
15-16 cap 6

and he has a 5 teams list NTC btw. Didn't knew that until now :D

wow... that changes the whole picture about trading him on deadline.

*edit*

cap in both years is 5.25... sorry my bad

Are you thinking that he would not want to join a top contender? Doubt very much that Oilers/Flames/Sabres would be interested at the trade deadline. Lots of good teams could step up.....IF they wanted to. I would think that it might be harder to get top return for him in the off season by excluding the bottom teams, if that what he has chosen for his list.

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Are you thinking that he would not want to join a top contender? Doubt very much that Oilers/Flames/Sabres would be interested at the trade deadline. Lots of good teams could step up.....IF they wanted to. I would think that it might be harder to get top return for him in the off season by excluding the bottom teams, if that what he has chosen for his list.

I think a lot of U.S. teams would "overpay" for him because he's the sort of player that the media there can't get enough of, and would pay dividends insofar as getting attention in a crowded sports market is concerned. Not that I wouldn't be fine with having him on our team for a long time to come, but maybe a deal would work well for both sides.

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
Yip. Whole contracts, not only years of contracts.
Are we talking about next season or the end of this season? Rheged probably meant "rest of this season". Do we really want to keep part of Buffs cap next year?

Yeah, I was reading Garret's post as though he meant on retain salary only for the rest of this season, if he meant retain for the remainder of the contract then that's certainly a possibility.

Though I'd prefer not to. :P

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Yeah, I was reading Garret's post as though he meant on retain salary only for the rest of this season, if he meant retain for the remainder of the contract then that's certainly a possibility.

Though I'd prefer not to. :P

Obviously the preference is not too, but it may be necessary.

Hopefully not though and if so, not much.

Edit: also sorry about the "this" confusion haha.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER

No I certainly don't think he'd put Edmonton or Buffalo on that list :laugh: That's not my point.

There are about 20 teams that could be buyers at the deadline due to making a late push for a low spot, a wildcard or the stanley cup. Of those 20 teams, only 5 will be on the list.

20 - 5 = 15 teams that are not possible trade partners.

5 teams is 3 times less than 15 teams

I don't know why I'm even explaining this :laugh:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
My guess at Buff's no trade teams

Calgary
Edmonton
Montreal
Toronto
Ottawa

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
Obviously the preference is not too, but it may be necessary.

Hopefully not though and if so, not much.

Edit: also sorry about the "this" confusion haha.

Yeah, I guess I could live with eating a bit of the cap hit given that we aren't as likely as some to be a cap team going forward. Really though I can't envision a scenario where Byfuglien gets more value being traded during the season than they would get for him after it.

Crosby87Domi11

Jan 29, 2013
Locust Grove,VA
yeah... on that note, i noticed some posts about Buff being put back on D at the end of the game. I didn't see it that way. He was on the point for the extra skater, same as the PP.

I wonder what we'd get for Ellerby at the deadline. Postma will be game ready soon.

Probably not much honestly. I've been reading some articles that Boston fans think Boston should go after a cheap dman to help out their back end. Ellerby was one of the players in their list that comes at a cheap price and was a favorite possible acquisition. Obviously it means nothing b/c its not by the Bruins organization, I just thought it was an interesting idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad