GDT: Sharks vs the LA Kings Farm team at SAP Center 7:30pm

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
The Sharks need better defensive play as a team. That's killing them. Offensively the team looks pretty good when they get rolling. Even the 3rd line was generating chances and Burish scored an actual hockey goal.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
They're just sucking in October because they want to follow the LA Kings model :sarcasm:

Hold the Pickles

Aug 16, 2003
03-K64
Yeah but you're betting on a seamless transition from them which probably won't happen. Mistakes are mistakes. I don't think having more young players in the line up will cut down on them. The big breakdowns are happening defensively.

I'm not betting on anything and I'm not saying we should blindly give the youngsters the helm. But, you are betting the youngsters will fail. You're right, the big breakdowns are happening defensively. So if there going to happen anyway, why not see what the youngsters can do?

drunksage

lol light beer
Jan 13, 2007
Hendertucky-ish
SNOG announcement

Foreword: Mom ended up spoiling the result by text, so I said **** it, I'll look up the score and do the job. Then I'll watch the game numbly at some time between tonight and tomorrow.

And it turns out that nobody actually predicted a 5-4 victory for the Kings farm team.

SNOGLossFail.jpg

Game|SNOG winner|Result
Oct. 8 at LA| Hertl | Sharks 4-0
Oct. 11 vs WPG| YoungSinatra | Sharks 3-0
Oct. 14 at WAS| none | Sharks 6-5 SO
Oct. 16 at NYI| Barrie22 | Islanders 4-3 SO
Oct. 18 at NJ| SJSharksfan39, VanIslander, Weastern Bias | Sharks 4-2
Oct. 19 at NYR| none | Rangers 4-0
Oct. 21 at BOS| none | Bruins 5-3
Oct. 23 vs CBJ| none | Blue Jackets 5-4

2014-15 Standings
---------------------
T-1) Barrie22, Hertl, SJSharksfan39, VanIslander, Weastern Bias, YoungSinatra (1)

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Shouldn't you be crying about Remenda somewhere?

Funny thing, my wife watched about 3 minutes of the game tonight and commented "this new guy sucks" (speaking about Baker).

Whether it is him or the lack of chemistry with Randy, the Jaime & Randy combo sucks in comparison to Randy & Drew.

They are dragging the team down. :naughty:

Jamie sucks chemistrywise. Good hockey insight though, of course. But man, zero spark with Randy. Today he tried to tell some weird joke that just absolutely died. Randy left him hanging forever too lol

Regarding the team, I'm a little calmer now and have taken note of a few things. Regarding the team's identity ... the identity of the past few years is actually no more so far this season. The best forwards are not being tasked with heavy defensive deployment.

Not sure exactly what that indicates, but that's why we see the team get absolutely hammered in the zone when the fourth line is out and strings together several icings. On the other hand, the offensive benefits are being reaped. The team does seem to be able to score more easily now; it just yields too much territory with the lower lines.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
The Sharks need better defensive play as a team. That's killing them. Offensively the team looks pretty good when they get rolling. Even the 3rd line was generating chances and Burish scored an actual hockey goal.

Absolutely, it's the defense and good transition that releases the speed and potency of the offense. When that happens, there is not much in the league that can stop the Sharks; not even the Kings.

DW needs to realize this and do something. I've been saying this too long. Perhaps he needs Thornton to realize it is time to accept a trade?

Thornton cannot keep up with a high-speed offense at this point in his career.

Jamie sucks chemistrywise.

He definitely does with Randy. Drew had much better chemistry, and unlike Baker, if the Sharks were not doing something well, he said so. Baker looks for excuses as if he is paid by DW to be the SEB (Sharks Excuse Boy). I lost some respect for him when he was strongly implying that Woodcroft is one of the best coaches in the NHL. I guess that makes him the SEB-WEB (Woodcroft Excuse Boy).

I like Kurtz much better... he has balls to come on this forum. And for a guy in that industry to come here... brass ones.

Last edited:

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Remember when the Sharks used to always suck in October? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Ninja Hertl

formerly sharkohol
Feb 25, 2006
The Yay
Team D is definitely the biggest issue, which is weird, because I feel like the team under Mclellan has always been good at that sort of thing. At least the offense (and a few power plays) looked good. Then again CBJ doesn't have a good d core.

The buffalo game has the potential to be very, very sad.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
He definitely does with Randy. Drew had much better chemistry, and unlike Baker, if the Sharks were not doing something well, he said so. Baker looks for excuses as if he is paid by DW to be the SEB (Sharks Excuse Boy). I lost some respect for him when he was strongly implying that Woodcroft is one of the best coaches in the NHL. I guess that makes him the SEB-WEB (Woodcroft Excuse Boy).

I like Kurtz much better... he has balls to come on this forum. And for a guy in that industry to come here... brass ones.

Again...7 games it's been. People are letting their preconceived notions and their Remenda fanboyisms color their view of Baker before he's even had time to establish himself. I seem to remember Drew constantly kissing the ass of the coaching staff yet I don't see that being paid any attention unlike Baker doing the exact same thing.

As for Kurz, it doesn't take any guts to post on this forum. And even if it somehow did, it doesn't make his views any more or less of what it is. Sometimes he hits some good points. Most of the time his views are asinine with the purpose of generating a response from the base.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Team D is definitely the biggest issue, which is weird, because I feel like the team under Mclellan has always been good at that sort of thing. At least the offense (and a few power plays) looked good. Then again CBJ doesn't have a good d core.

Why? Because the Sharks might lose? If they play like they did last night, they run Buffalo out of the rink.

Zeroz

Frightened Inmate #2
Jul 20, 2011
Oregon
Hey, at least we didn't lose like the Pens did last night against the Red Wings. ooofph

I dont think it could be worse than the 0-1 loss in 2012. I remember that night due to being my first experience at the Tank. http://sabres.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/recap?id=2011020958

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Sharks will probably go up 5 goals against Buffalo in the first period but sit back the rest of the game, win 5-2, and walk away thinking they played a good game

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I went into this season with very tempered expectations and the first 8 games have done nothing to change it.

- We still have the weakness on D like we did last year.
- Good to see the young guys out there. But it is growing pains for them as expected.
- Scoring goals has not been a problem (outside of the NY Rangers game). The team is exciting offensively.

With eight games into this season, we are actually fighting for a playoff spot. It is not guaranteed that we make the playoff this year. This is honestly where I see the team this year. We should be a #6-#8 ranked team going into the playoffs or barely miss them.

These are the teams I rank ahead of us:

Anaheim
LA
Chicago
St.Louis (expecting them to rebound from their poor start.)

We are in this group:

Dallas
Minnesota
Vancouver
San Jose
Colorado

My guess is one of these five loses out in the playoff race. I do expect Colorado to bounce back but they are going to have a hard time this year.

Last edited:

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I went into this season with very tempered expectations and the first 8 games have done nothing to change it.

- Good to see the young guys out there. But it is growing pains for them as expected.
- Scoring goals has not been a problem (outside of the NY Rangers game). The team is exciting offensively.

With eight games into this season, we are actually fighting for a playoff spot. It is not guaranteed that we make the playoff this year. This is honestly where I see the team this year. We should be a #6-#8 ranked team going into the playoffs or barely miss them.

Anaheim
LA
Chicago

We are in this group:

Dallas
Minnesota
Vancouver
San Jose
Colorado

My guess is one of these five loses out in the playoff race. I do expect Colorado to bounce back but they are going to have a hard time this year.

I don't think Colorado bounces back. Losing Stastny gutted them hard at forward and they really downgraded their defense. Sharks are gonna be battling with Vancouver probably.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I don't think the Blues will make the playoffs, I think they are in the "Hitchcock has worn out his time" mode. Happened in year 4 in Philly. Happened in year 4 in Columbus and, hey, it's year four in STL.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Anaheim
LA
Chicago

We are in this group:

Dallas
Minnesota
Vancouver
San Jose
Colorado

The Sharks only have to be the third best team in their division to make the playoffs. So between them and Vancouver, I'm very confident even with the first eight games that the Sharks make the playoffs. Calgary is off to a good start but will fade eventually. Vancouver's just not that good and worse than the Sharks. The Sharks will be fine.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
The Sharks only have to be the third best team in their division to make the playoffs. So between them and Vancouver, I'm very confident even with the first eight games that the Sharks make the playoffs. Calgary is off to a good start but will fade eventually. Vancouver's just not that good and worse than the Sharks. The Sharks will be fine.

I think Vancouver is going to surprise some ppl this year. It's unusual for us to not light it up to start the year and to be honest it's a long season with three rookies essentially that need to be handled well.

Even without the goal I though burish had a fourth liner type game. It was nice to see and if Todd is intent on playing I can only hope he improves. He lacks the ability to read the game on defense though and it hurts us if he's gonna line up at center.

We have a ton of moving parts in our bottom six. I don't mind moving ppl around a lot in the first 25 games. But we need to solidify something by then.

Nieto is in a strange spot as well. Skill players surprisingly don't work with jumbo and pavs. They definitely need a puck retrieval type player.

I'm not sure of the best way to put our lines together but my gut says

McGinn-jumbo-pavs
Marleau-couture-wingels
Hertl-tierney-shep
Hayes-desi-burish

But we'd need to add at the deadline I believe. Both a LD and someone similar to wingels IMO and we could reset quite easily.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad