GDT: Sharks vs. Kings - "Nuke 'Em High Edition" - 7:00 PM - NBCSN, TSN2, KFOX

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Did you see the L.A./Van game? L.A. has no issues turtling to draw a 7 minute power play.
It's too bad they couldn't score on their chances and have a sizable lead late. Then a PP wouldn't matter much.

Though punching Dustin Brown in the face could make him smarter....

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
We don't need an $8 million goalie.
Defense and GA are not our short-comings.

I'd argue that with a healthy lineup it most certainly is a short-coming. Our defense just has the best 2 way forward group in the league to cover up for how weak they really are.

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
Dustin Brown is such a cowardly piece of ****. I'm literally embarrassed that he's representing our country at the olympics. Not to mention he's also useless as far as the actual winning part goes...

Don't let Kings fans see this otherwise you'll get the whole "hes captained a team to a cup while scoring lots of points that year" followed by 4-5 pictures of him holding the cup.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
Don't let Kings fans see this otherwise you'll get the whole "hes captained a team to a cup while scoring lots of points that year" followed by 4-5 pictures of him holding the cup.

181613995_5e87f1c806.jpg

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
Wallin was actually good his last year here, no?

I don't ever remember him being any good.

He had that brief couple games where he played okay in the playoffs that changed a lot of minds, but I still look at the bigger picture.

He was better than current Irwin, Stuart, and Hannan. and he had cluthc

I don't agree with Hannan. Irwin is much better offensively, but disastrous defensively. Stuart… man… what happened to that guy.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
I don't ever remember him being any good.

He had that brief couple games where he played okay in the playoffs that changed a lot of minds, but I still look at the bigger picture.

I don't agree with Hannan. Irwin is much better offensively, but disastrous defensively. Stuart… man… what happened to that guy.

Well when Hannan does get healthy, the Sharks will never sit Stuart for Hannan. Irwin yes, but somehow Stuart gets away with being awful on a regular basis.

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
GAHHHHH I totally spaced out about doing/finishing the GDT for tomorrow's game. I'm working on it right now but it might be a bit late guys.

SORRY :cry:

Blackbear

Jan 3, 2007
I was very surprised to see Burns make the mistake he did on the LA goal.

Looked to me like a pretty standard 2 on 2 until Burns went to pressure the puck and let Kopitar slip past him. Not a mistake you would expect from an ex Dman turned Forward.

Stalock looks like he is legit. Solid game from him again.

Quick should be the starter for team USA.

But he was never any good on D. In fact he is not a D man turned to forward but a forward restored to forward. Fact is he had a sweet assist on the play because it looked like the pass would have gone well behind Kopitar except for the tip that put it right on his tape.

Nevertheless- that was just bad luck. Burns made a great effort and that way of playing is what wins games. Problem is that Sharks need a different offensive strategy to play against LA and Ana than what works against most of the rest of the league. Hopefully the coaches figure it out by playoffs.

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
But he was never any good on D. In fact he is not a D man turned to forward but a forward restored to forward. Fact is he had a sweet assist on the play because it looked like the pass would have gone well behind Kopitar except for the tip that put it right on his tape.

Nevertheless- that was just bad luck. Burns made a great effort and that way of playing is what wins games
. Problem is that Sharks need a different offensive strategy to play against LA and Ana than what works against most of the rest of the league. Hopefully the coaches figure it out by playoffs.

My sentiments exactly!

Wedontneedroads

Jul 14, 2008
San Jose

Nevertheless- that was just bad luck. Burns made a great effort and that way of playing is what wins games. Problem is that Sharks need a different offensive strategy to play against LA and Ana than what works against most of the rest of the league. Hopefully the coaches figure it out by playoffs.

Burns was never any good on D? If he wasn't any good at defense the Sharks would not have traded one of their top 6 forwards in Seto and top prospect in Coyle for him.

Watch the video. It was not bad luck; it was bad back checking due to him puck watching. He starts ahead of Kopitar at the LA blue line, and doesn't even look at him again until he is multiple strides past Burns at the SJ blue line. He needs to work back to get in front of Kopitar instead of watching the puck carrier all the way down the ice. If he had gotten himself in the right position there wouldn't have been any opportunity for a bad bounce because he would have easily swatted that weak tot action out of Kopitar's path.

It was a small mistake, but mistakes like that can cost you in a tight defensive game.

Last edited:

Mar 12, 2008
SF Bay Area
I found it interesting that the day after their win, the Kings completely laid an egg @PHX. Did they get too up for the Sharks game and just expend every ounce of energy & had nothing in their tanks? Glad the Sharks got an extra day as that was a seriously intense playoff style game.

Blackbear

Jan 3, 2007
Burns was never any good on D? If he wasn't any good at defense the Sharks would not have traded one of their top 6 forwards in Seto and top prospect in Coyle for him.

Watch the video. It was not bad luck; it was bad back checking due to him puck watching. He starts ahead of Kopitar at the LA blue line, and doesn't even look at him again until he is multiple strides past Burns at the SJ blue line. He needs to work back to get in front of Kopitar instead of watching the puck carrier all the way down the ice. If he had gotten himself in the right position there wouldn't have been any opportunity for a bad bounce because he would have easily swatted that weak tot action out of Kopitar's path.

It was a small mistake, but mistakes like that can cost you in a tight defensive game.

Well pretty clearly Seto was going nowhere fast (because of inconsistency) but I'm not here to argue about that. Of course Todd thought Burns might be a good return on some assets SJ wanted to move out (not necessarily including Coyle who was an unknown) because he was the one who put him on D in the first place. But you can't possibly tell me you watched Burns play D for a season and a half and thought he was any good at it. Clearly Todd recognized his mistake because look where he put him.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
I found it interesting that the day after their win, the Kings completely laid an egg @PHX. Did they get too up for the Sharks game and just expend every ounce of energy & had nothing in their tanks? Glad the Sharks got an extra day as that was a seriously intense playoff style game.
This has been the case when we have played them. I recall the game we lost in ot. Looking at the stat sheet sutter ran all his top players into the ground for that game much more then the sharks. I believe we were down Boyle burns and another forward. They barely slipped past is that game. I really feel once we get healthy and can come at them in waves instead of two lines we will be ok

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Well pretty clearly Seto was going nowhere fast (because of inconsistency) but I'm not here to argue about that. Of course Todd thought Burns might be a good return on some assets SJ wanted to move out (not necessarily including Coyle who was an unknown) because he was the one who put him on D in the first place. But you can't possibly tell me you watched Burns play D for a season and a half and thought he was any good at it. Clearly Todd recognized his mistake because look where he put him.

Rewriting history are we. The Sharks needed offense way more than they needed defense at the time and Burns had played offense, well. It was worth a try and he exploded. Todd did not, or more importantly DW, did not recognize some big mistake in acquiring Burns and hope to get themselves out of it by moving him to forward. There is no evidence to support that.

Wedontneedroads

Jul 14, 2008
San Jose

Hindsight is 20/20, but Seto and Coyle aren't even relevant to the point that Burns misplayed the 2 on 2 that led to LA's goal, and should have done better because he was an NHL defenseman for 7/8 years.

I'm not sure where you are getting the idea that TMac moved Burns to forward because of poor defensive play or some organizational "mistake". Burns was moved to forward to help to get his legs moving after multiple injuries to start the season, and the Sharks offense, which was comparable to steaming hot garbage at the time, needed some energy.

My only point in all this is I expect Burns to do a better job reading the play while back checking. In fact, I expect EVERY sharks forward to do a better job than Burns did on that play. They can't make those types of mistakes against good teams.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Why are people blaming burns on that goal? It is pretty telling that on a 2 on 3 play burns not once looks at kopitar until he turns around and dives at the pass. That is either on boyle to give a heads up someone is not covered on the far side or get your pinching *** back into the play to cover the open man.

Burns played that play as a forward (you know his actual position) and then by the time he/someone told him about kopitar it was to late (even then burns made a great play to disrupt the play even if kopitar made a nice play to readjust himself in time to make the deke on stalock.

DarrylshutzSydor

Aug 9, 2007
California
Why are people blaming burns on that goal? It is pretty telling that on a 2 on 3 play burns not once looks at kopitar until he turns around and dives at the pass. That is either on boyle to give a heads up someone is not covered on the far side or get your pinching *** back into the play to cover the open man.

Burns played that play as a forward (you know his actual position) and then by the time he/someone told him about kopitar it was to late (even then burns made a great play to disrupt the play even if kopitar made a nice play to readjust himself in time to make the deke on stalock.

Burns AND Boyle were both to blame on that one.

Wedontneedroads

Jul 14, 2008
San Jose

Boyle pinched in the offensive zone. It's the winger's job to cover him (Burns). There should be communication between the two on that play. It looks like there wasn't.

Instead of taking a look around to see where Boyle was, way behind the play, Burns focused on the puck and almost skated right at the puck carrier (bad decision)

By the time he realized Boyle was in no position to make a play on Kopitar it was too late.

Pretty basic play in which Boyle and Burns are at fault, but when it comes down to it I expect Burns to be able to recognize the situation (Boyle being caught up ice) and make a defensive play.

Maybe that's asking too much, but I think the Sharks coaching staff would expect him to make that play as well.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Boyle pinched in the offensive zone. It's the winger's job to cover him (Burns). There should be communication between the two on that play. It looks like there wasn't.

Instead of taking a look around to see where Boyle was, way behind the play, Burns focused on the puck and almost skated right at the puck carrier (bad decision)

By the time he realized Boyle was in no position to make a play on Kopitar it was too late.

Pretty basic play in which Boyle and Burns are at fault, but when it comes down to it I expect Burns to be able to recognize the situation (Boyle being caught up ice) and make a defensive play.

Maybe that's asking too much, but I think the Sharks coaching staff would expect him to make that play as well.

Look at where boyle is compared to burns when boyle and burns start heading back up the ice, boyle might have been 5 feet away from burns on the wrong side of burns. Unless boyle lost 10 steps in the past few months also, boyle should of been able to catch up to the play (especially for those that say burns is at fault)

Wedontneedroads

Jul 14, 2008
San Jose
Look at where boyle is compared to burns when boyle and burns start heading back up the ice, boyle might have been 5 feet away from burns on the wrong side of burns. Unless boyle lost 10 steps in the past few months also, boyle should of been able to catch up to the play (especially for those that say burns is at fault)

Boyle is right in front of the crease when the puck is turned over. Burns is a step or two in front of the blue line. How is that 5 ft? Go watch the video. I posted it on the last page. They might be 5 ft apart when they hit their own blue line, but by that point Kopitar was already past them both.

Boyle got caught too far up ice to recover. Burns should have recognized that.

This isn't that complicated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad