GDT: Sharks vs Ducks Part 2

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
You are correct to an extent, the Sharks were actually missing three puck moving dmen last night. There really isnt a team in the league that could deal with that much better than the sharks did last night. That said, I think they did an admirable job because most of the dmen were a bit out of their element.

Without Boyle, with Burns and Demers I dont think we see such a struggling breakout. What Boyle did show is that he controls that powerplay better than a lot of people think.

what boyle/and to a lesser extent burns brings to the power play is respect on the blue line. power play with boyle other teams just can't leave the blue line unmanned and put all there time and space onto thornton/marleau/pavs/couture. knowing that one pass back and boyle will make them pay.

without boyle/burns teams can double team thornton on the power play.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
what boyle/and to a lesser extent burns brings to the power play is respect on the blue line. power play with boyle other teams just can't leave the blue line unmanned and put all there time and space onto thornton/marleau/pavs/couture. knowing that one pass back and boyle will make them pay.

without boyle/burns teams can double team thornton on the power play.

yep, it was interesting how apparent that was last night.

Last night should make for some good video sessions with the team, I really still cant believe they won. Mad respect for Nemo this year, hes making the crucial saves when needed, which isnt something that could have been said the last two.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
I realize shootout percentages are something to look out when making selections, I just felt like Clowe in particular hasn't really been with it so far this year, not to mention he hasn't shown a lot of creativity on the shootout since goalies started picking up on that forehand to backhand shot. Not blind hate, just initial reaction.

100% with ya, but I'm fine with Clowe taking shootout attempts given his percentage (which are based on his deke and then going to the backhand, although really didnt do last night, at least it didn't look like his typical SO move).

I'm also fine with Clowe being a "Jeff Odgers" 92-94 type player on the 4th line (can score goals, fights, physical)

Just not fine with Clowe being on the 2nd line as the 3rd wheel to the insanely good and exciting Couture-Havlat combo.

Wedontneedroads

Jul 14, 2008
San Jose
Please don't ever let me see Murray and Petrecki on the same pairing again. Awful. Possibly the most immobile Sharks pairing ever?

Petrecki looked like he was trying to force stuff all night, and just didn't look comfortable. There was one cross ice breakout pass in particular where he tried to force it and it was inches away from getting picked off for a breakaway. Just not smart decisions.

6 shots on goal with 8 min left in the second period?! Frickin Patty and his gutless play :sarcasm:

The Ducks have just dominated the Sharks for quite some time now. Their style of play is similar to the Blues, and the Sharks really don't match up well against them. I would think that's something you could coach around, but the Sharks just haven't seemed to be able to.

Niemi let in that softie, but he absolutely robbed Perry at the end there, so I'll give him a wash on it. He has already let in two real questionable goals, so I'm hoping this does not become a trend.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
I get the reasoning behind lamenting the loss of boyle last night, however, not many teams play like anaheim.

phx, nash (to and extent), st. louis, dallas (to an extent), devils, kings

should that game have been against someone like edmonton, i think we still wouldve been able to create and sustain offensive zone time. I thought the lack of speed on the back end was more apparent than anything, and it was probably down to muscle fatigue (body finally gets a full rest and legs are sore, etc) everyone was really just a step behind. our fitness guy is going to need to be on top of his game to keep these guys at a high level.

Eighth Fret

Jan 11, 2011
Niemi let in that softie, but he absolutely robbed Perry at the end there, so I'll give him a wash on it. He has already let in two real questionable goals, so I'm hoping this does not become a trend.

What softie are you talking about? The bad-angle shot that deflected off of Murray which he had no chance on, or Belesky's wide open shot in the slot, which he didn't have much of a chance on either?

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Niemi has one of the best sv% in the league right now, especially for the amount of games he's played, plus he leads the league in wins. What do you want from the guy? lol

People's expectations are way too high. Niemi flat out stole that game last night. Also had he not saved our bacon opening night in the 1st period that game likely would have ended poorly too. You really can't ask anything more from your goaltender.

osgoodshlatters

Apr 30, 2007
San Jose
What softie are you talking about? The bad-angle shot that deflected off of Murray which he had no chance on, or Belesky's wide open shot in the slot, which he didn't have much of a chance on either?

watching it live at the tank it looked like it went straight in off of niemi. did replay show that it hit murray and went in?

19sharks19

Mar 16, 2006
T.O. to S.J. & back
Please don't ever let me see Murray and Petrecki on the same pairing again. Awful. Possibly the most immobile Sharks pairing ever?

Petrecki looked like he was trying to force stuff all night, and just didn't look comfortable. There was one cross ice breakout pass in particular where he tried to force it and it was inches away from getting picked off for a breakaway. Just not smart decisions.

6 shots on goal with 8 min left in the second period?! Frickin Patty and his gutless play :sarcasm:

The Ducks have just dominated the Sharks for quite some time now. Their style of play is similar to the Blues, and the Sharks really don't match up well against them. I would think that's something you could coach around, but the Sharks just haven't seemed to be able to.

So true. That is why D.W. will have to think hard on working for an improvement in some way via our support lines before the trade deadline at the latest. Which is a good thing as help on the support lines will not involve any major trade(s).

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
watching it live at the tank it looked like it went straight in off of niemi. did replay show that it hit murray and went in?

Yup, I'm sure because at the time I went "Good lord how many goals is Murray going to score against us this year??"

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
I realize shootout percentages are something to look out when making selections, I just felt like Clowe in particular hasn't really been with it so far this year, not to mention he hasn't shown a lot of creativity on the shootout since goalies started picking up on that forehand to backhand shot. Not blind hate, just initial reaction.

I agree that Clowe hasn't looked like Clowe yet. The team probably hasn't spent much time practicing shootouts, so I understand why Todd went went those 3 guys.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Holy cow, poor guy, I actually felt sorry for him. This happened to one of my best friends, he's the same age as me (early 30's) and he's lost most of the hair on top of his head. Sucks

The thing is though, I think Getzlaf would look okay if he just shaves his head. I don't know why he doesn't.

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
so everytime pavs scores we need to bring up the discussion about his shot?

first someone said it was said that his shot was below average, and now someone said that it was said that he had no shot...you gotta be kidding me.

yes i said his shot was average by NHL standards, apparently that means i said he cant score with. jeebus. flame away.

So why even make the comment? I'm curious what you base this on?? NHL standards? Is there a formula that defines what a good shot is deemed? The guy has a wicked wrister and can place it where he wants,scores the goals to prove it.So ya, gonna make comments directed at yours truly :sarcasm:..

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I thought the dmen did the best job they could considering the 3 best puck movers were out of the line up...two of those three being top 15 dmen in the entire league. I think Marleau and Cooch were the best among the forwards. Everyone was engaged and into the game but some nights you just don't have the juice. The Ducks are alot better than advertised..for all the crap Boudreau got in Washington..hes a good coach and he has everyone on board. I feel disgusted giving high praise to them.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I see posts talking about how bad a night Patrecki had and I wonder, was this the kid's first game? Kind of hard to get hard on him for playing his first game in that situation. Hopefully he learns, probably goes back down to Worchester when Boyle comes back, and does better. His Career is young and there's always room for improvement.

Or he'll just be labeled as a prospect and we trade him for another old guy. :sarcasm:

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I caught the rerun of the game on Center Ice this morning because I dozed off in the middle of the second period...

Anyway, the Sharks were really lucky to come out with a win (a shootout win, but a win nonetheless). Niemi was on his game again, especially that last save on Perry. The defense looked dreadful, especially Braun and Irwin. Vlasic looked off to me as well. Gomez looked good again, especially when he got bumped up to the second line with Couture. They didn't deserve to win, but they won, and that's all that matters.

And man, does this team miss Boyle.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
I see posts talking about how bad a night Patrecki had and I wonder, was this the kid's first game? Kind of hard to get hard on him for playing his first game in that situation. Hopefully he learns, probably goes back down to Worchester when Boyle comes back, and does better. His Career is young and there's always room for improvement.

Or he'll just be labeled as a prospect and we trade him for another old guy. :sarcasm:

He didn't have a bad game imo. He looked nervous in the 1st but calmed down and made some decent plays.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
He didn't have a bad game imo. He looked nervous in the 1st but calmed down and made some decent plays.

He does need to work on that shot though. I don't think anyone was near him and he rushed that shot (The one at the end of the game) and just fanned on it. It really did look like someone who was a little nervous.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
He does need to work on that shot though. I don't think anyone was near him and he rushed that shot (The one at the end of the game) and just fanned on it. It really did look like someone who was a little nervous.

Yeah he fanned on it. He looked fairly mobile for being huge and actually recognized what Hedican was saying about using the boards to clear it up ice against heavy pressure. Not a great debut but could have been worse.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
So why even make the comment? I'm curious what you base this on?? NHL standards? Is there a formula that defines what a good shot is deemed? The guy has a wicked wrister and can place it where he wants,scores the goals to prove it.So ya, gonna make comments directed at yours truly :sarcasm:..

because you and others say things like "who said he has no shot?"

im basing it on what i see with my eyes. pavs took a lot of shots in those games with no goals either, as soon as he pots a couple, people come out of the woodwork. SH% is just that, a percentage, he wont score every time, and there will be times his shot looks like a rocket. Id be willing to say above average at times, but typically his shot is a point blank slapper inside the slot, about 5 feet away. with an average NHL shot, its hard to miss those. get him further out than that, and usually they will be tip plays etc.

anyway, thats the last i will say on it. just kind of annoying to see snide remarks

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
because you and others say things like "who said he has no shot?"

im basing it on what i see with my eyes. pavs took a lot of shots in those games with no goals either, as soon as he pots a couple, people come out of the woodwork. SH% is just that, a percentage, he wont score every time, and there will be times his shot looks like a rocket. Id be willing to say above average at times, but typically his shot is a point blank slapper inside the slot, about 5 feet away. with an average NHL shot, its hard to miss those. get him further out than that, and usually they will be tip plays etc.
anyway, thats the last i will say on it. just kind of annoying to see snide remarks

Time to see an eye doctor maybe?

So his shot is above avg at times but because any player with an average shot can make 5 footers this makes him have just an avg shot??:help:

ANYONE shooting from farther out is going to have a chance of a tip play,etc. Not sure your point? I have seen many of Pavs shots from "past the 5 ft area", guy can shoot.

The bolded part-Thats a ludicrous statement..

Anyhow, Thats the last I will say. for now.:D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad