GDT: Sharks vs. Blackhawks - "Dragon Ball Z Edition" - 7:30 PM - NHLN-US, CSN-CA, KFOX

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
there must be just zero "book" on thornton in the shootout. goalies just have to guess.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
there must be just zero "book" on thornton in the shootout. goalies just have to guess.

It is impossible to have a book on someone that has only shot 15 times in what 9 years? And probably about 6-7 of those came in 2005-06 and another 3 came this year.

That and thornton is not [mod] like clowe and earlier pavs who scored a few times on a move/shot and never changed it up. Thorntons 3 goals this year are a shot that beat the goalie clean, a flip shot over the glove of the goalie, and now this deke. The only thing that hasn't changed is the side of the net the puck hits when it goes in lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Though I consider winning the shootout getting the 2nd point more than a win, the Sharks outshot chi by 9, out hit them 30-9, won more faceoffs, blocked 10 more shots and even had fewer giveaways.

In short, SJ outplayed them.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
Though I consider winning the shootout getting the 2nd point more than a win, the Sharks outshot chi by 9, out hit them 30-9, won more faceoffs, blocked 10 more shots and even had fewer giveaways.

I believe the Hawks had a full team, too. Seemed so.

While we're missing a full line (Torres, Hertl, Couture) and one of 2nd pairing dmen (Demers).

Very nice outing by the Sharks

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California

Chicago has stretches of zone time but nothing really came out of them and the Sharks kept them on the outside. Crawford and Niemi were great. It was a great game.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Chicago has stretches of zone time but nothing really came out of them and the Sharks kept them on the outside. Crawford and Niemi were great. It was a great game.

Like Drew said last night, it felt like the playoff game. The pace was good, the play was just great on both sides, and I know the Sharks have had issues with the Hawks in the past, but I would love another playoff series with them. Those games always tend to be good.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
Like Drew said last night, it felt like the playoff game. The pace was good, the play was just great on both sides, and I know the Sharks have had issues with the Hawks in the past, but I would love another playoff series with them. Those games always tend to be good.

I'd prefer it as well (over the Blues) in a WCF matchup so long as we solidified the 2nd pairing dmen and have all 3 sets of D pairs that can move the puck quickly. The Blues are a very heavy team and would grind us down too much, I think.

Is Hossa injured or dinged up? He was moved off the puck a lot more easily than in the past.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I believe the Hawks had a full team, too. Seemed so.

While we're missing a full line (Torres, Hertl, Couture) and one of 2nd pairing dmen (Demers).

Very nice outing by the Sharks

Only the 'bulin wall.

The Sharks played these guys 3 times missing key players each game and played even with them , or even better in 2 of the 3 games.

I'm not as scared of these hawks as I was their teams from the past 2 years.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
Only the 'bulin wall.

The Sharks played these guys 3 times missing key players each game and played even with them , or even better in 2 of the 3 games.

I'm not as scared of these hawks as I was their teams from the past 2 years.

Yeah, I'll agree with cautious optimism... We all know the Hawks are one of the best at the fast, transition game but it does seem like TMac's instituted a better game to match up. The Sharks played a lot tighter & heavier game on the Hawks, kept them to the outside, had sticks in the lane and were blocking shots.

It's the Hawks depth of scoring + outstanding puck moving dmen who've killed the Sharks in the past. This season the Sharks have seemed to neutralize their game more so.

What I also liked is I noticed the Sharks trying the stretch pass more often against the Hawks (Easy should appreciate that). Even if a pass doesn't work, it gives the Hawks forechecking pause...

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I had a feeling Thornton had something special when he was put in the shootout lineup
Thornton turns into a beast playing against Toews. From the opening faceoff he slashed his hands to set the tone.

If I were Joe, i'd feel the same way. Toews gets all kinda of attention due to team success when he is clearly inferior to Jumbo.

It really was. The hits looked to take quite a bit of energy from the hawks. I'd like to see the sharks play with that type of intensity more often.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Yeah, I'll agree with cautious optimism... We all know the Hawks are one of the best at the fast, transition game but it does seem like TMac's instituted a better game to match up. The Sharks played a lot tighter & heavier game on the Hawks, kept them to the outside, had sticks in the lane and were blocking shots.

It's the Hawks depth of scoring + outstanding puck moving dmen who've killed the Sharks in the past. This season the Sharks have seemed to neutralize their game more so.

What I also liked is I noticed the Sharks trying the stretch pass more often against the Hawks (Easy should appreciate that). Even if a pass doesn't work, it gives the Hawks forechecking pause...

Yep. To beat teams like Chicago, you have to be aggressive, fast and strong and dictate the game. Past sharks teams seemed to react too much instead of imposing their game.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
Yep. To beat teams like Chicago, you have to be aggressive, fast and strong and dictate the game. Past sharks teams seemed to react too much instead of imposing their game.

I especially liked Kearns and Hayes. They were effective in their roles. Played the Hawks aggressively and tight. That tells me the game plan was sound.

If the team commits to it, with the cavalry coming, I'm less worried about the Hawks come playoffs.

Feels like the Red Wings from 4-5 yrs ago. Eventually we figured out how to match up and gained confidence from that.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I loved Sheppard's game. He really turned it on tonight. Last game I was impressed too, but this time his line was out there against Kane's normally. He got chances, created them, threw some heavy hits, I just thought he played great!

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
I loved Sheppard's game. He really turned it on tonight. Last game I was impressed too, but this time his line was out there against Kane's normally. He got chances, created them, threw some heavy hits, I just thought he played great!

The key for Sheppard is to play with that kind of intensity night in and night out. He's certainly capable of it.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Great game, no lapses by the Sharks. The Hawks looked dangerous on quite a few possessions, but nothing came of them. It is surprising what the Sharks are capable of considering the injuries they have.

Sheppard was one of the better Sharks players last night and made some great passes to the net. If only they had been made to player who could finish...

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Great game, no lapses by the Sharks. The Hawks looked dangerous on quite a few possessions, but nothing came of them. It is surprising what the Sharks are capable of considering the injuries they have.

Sheppard was one of the better Sharks players last night and made some great passes to the net. If only they had been made to player who could finish...

Yes it was, no doubt and a cliff hanger right down to the end of the shootout, and nationally televised to boot. The only thing better would be the Sharks eliminating the Hawks in the playoffs.

I do think the one score by the Hawks on a PP was due to a lapse to some degree though.

I also thought that Crawford relies on the help of his defense clogging up in front of the net. When his defense is not there, he was destroyed. This was Pav's goal, Stuart's miss or hit Crawford's leg while he was looking away, and the SO goals (3 for 3).

Niemi did a bit better in this department. That, and the lack of usual lapses on defense was the difference in the game, imo.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Yes it was, no doubt and a cliff hanger right down to the end of the shootout, and nationally televised to boot. The only thing better would be the Sharks eliminating the Hawks in the playoffs.

I do think the one score by the Hawks on a PP was due to a lapse to some degree though.

I also thought that Crawford relies on the help of his defense clogging up in front of the net. When his defense is not there, he was destroyed. This was Pav's goal, Stuart's miss or hit Crawford's leg while he was looking away, and the SO goals (3 for 3).

Niemi did a bit better in this department. That, and the lack of usual lapses on defense was the difference in the game, imo.

The Sharks are one of the best defensive teams in the league. They are usually solid to begin with.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Sharks need to be able to adapt to different teams. Seems obvious, but they don't always do it (or do it very well).

Also, that PP goal cannot happen in the playoffs. Have to shut that down.

How has Havlat looked? Was getting rave reviews his first game back...

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Sharks need to be able to adapt to different teams. Seems obvious, but they don't always do it (or do it very well).

I think the coaching staff has done a great job adapting from game to game this year. All these injuries have really been helpful in forcing McLellan into figuring out that part of his coaching skills.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012

Havlat hasn't come close to that first game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad