Confirmed with Link: Sharks trade for Tye McGinn

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
It remains to be seen what exactly he is, because he did play well. But it was also clear he didn't have a spot anymore. McGinn deserves a shot in the NHL, we could have given it to him, but the Sharks I guess will give him a better shot. Which is disappointing because Zac Rinaldo still holds down an NHL roster spot. We don't have enough draft picks next year either.

I'd say he could be a pretty good 10th forward.

Given who DW has acquired lately, I wouldn't be surprised if he tried to get Rinaldo too...

Some combination of
Mcginn, Rinaldo, Brown, Scott, Torres, Desjardins
in the bottom six. Scariest bottom six to face physically but easiest to score against at the same time.

SharksFan1

Aug 9, 2010
Orange County, CA
So I don't know anything about this guy. I see that he is young and only played 18 games of each of the last two seasons, and had reasonable point totals for a 4th line guys for only 18 games. Is there any upside to this guy or is he just another borderline NHLer?

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
So I don't know anything about this guy. I see that he is young and only played 18 games of each of the last two seasons, and had reasonable point totals for a 4th line guys for only 18 games. Is there any upside to this guy or is he just another borderline NHLer?

The thing is, he wasn't playing on our 4th line for about half (just a guess, but it feels right) of the time he was up in the NHL. During the Flyers' struggles at the beginning of last season, McGinn played with Giroux and Voracek for a little (and was actually our leading goal scorer with 4 goals at one point :laugh:), but a ton of that was luck and it was apparent that he was playing WAY over his head.

Like others have mentioned before, doesn't have enough skating or offensive talent for a top 6 role, not enough defensive talent for a 3rd line checking role, and really wasn't that effective in the limited games he was on the 4th line last season. He's shown glimpses of being able to do something, but they were really short and then he went back to disappearing again.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
The thing is, he wasn't playing on our 4th line for about half (just a guess, but it feels right) of the time he was up in the NHL. During the Flyers' struggles at the beginning of last season, McGinn played with Giroux and Voracek for a little (and was actually our leading goal scorer with 4 goals at one point :laugh:), but a ton of that was luck and it was apparent that he was playing WAY over his head.

Like others have mentioned before, doesn't have enough skating or offensive talent for a top 6 role, not enough defensive talent for a 3rd line checking role, and really wasn't that effective in the limited games he was on the 4th line last season. He's shown glimpses of being able to do something, but they were really short and then he went back to disappearing again.

The Sharks have changed Braun skating to elite so maybe they plan on doing that for McGinn too. Honestly I'm excited for McGinn. Hopefully he will play great with the team next year then the Sharks will trade Brown+Burish+Kennedy+Scott for Jamie McGinn because Jamie said he wants to play with the Sharks and his brother, because the Avalanche are too soft.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA

As a long time Flyer fan who doesn't miss a game, I would disagree that he disappears. I like MCGinn, a guy who gives 100% and plays his heart out every shift, drives to the net, is fearless and was never given a proper chance to develop. What young player can develop when the only ice time he sees is filing in for a few games for injured players. And he was plugged into any line that needed him and did fine. Given a regular shift and a real chance to develop, he'll do fine and improve on the areas that are needed . Bouncing up and down between the PHantoms and Flyers (and 2 diffrerent systems) isn't fair to any prospect. What he needed was time , reg minutes in every game and he never got that.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
As a long time Flyer fan who doesn't miss a game, I would disagree that he disappears. I like MCGinn, a guy who gives 100% and plays his heart out every shift, drives to the net, is fearless and was never given a proper chance to develop. What young player can develop when the only ice time he sees is filing in for a few games for injured players. And he was plugged into any line that needed him and did fine. Given a regular shift and a real chance to develop, he'll do fine and improve on the areas that are needed . Bouncing up and down between the PHantoms and Flyers (and 2 diffrerent systems) isn't fair to any prospect.

Reminds me of Wingels in how he plays his heart out and drives the net. Also the put on any line and seemed okay.

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio

No offense to your eye test, but the possession numbers show that he was more than moderately effective when he was on the ice. Small sample, sure, but better than having bad numbers.

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
I'm super excited to see this team with 4 4th lines go out and play with heart every single game. Sure, they may go 10-72, but that's what us fans really want. <3!

Wingels-Sheppard-Torres
Kennedy-Desi-Burish
Scott-Brown-McGinn

Hatrick Marleau

Just Win The Game
May 16, 2012
Good move DW! Maybe a but expensive but if he can turn into a Wingels/Jamie Mcginn hybrid it will be worth it.

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
No offense to your eye test, but the possession numbers show that he was more than moderately effective when he was on the ice. Small sample, sure, but better than having bad numbers.

Yes, but based on his skill set, I can't see him replicating those numbers over a large sample size.

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
I like this deal.

I get that he's got upside and just needs a new opportunity, we can use a heart/hustle player with upside on the team, he's a player not a passenger. Just not sure where he'll play as get have to many bottom 6 forwards, i wonder who isn't coming back?

juicyrebound

May 15, 2012
San Diego
His bro was the better talent. It remains to be seen if Tye is the more intelligent and likely more effective one.

Jaime had a tough time cracking the SJ line up!! I remember seeing him in warm ups and thinking this kid has nothing going for him but a motor.. Although I think Jaime is a great NHLer, and I rue the day he was traded for pocket lint, he's a product of SJ, he's been coached and trained how to be effective. Maybe Tye just needs the right system..

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
I put 0 stock into his stats. Fancy or otherwise.

This kid is an open case, he could pull off a wingels and really make an impact. But he could also go to the AHL.

What's his QO?

jpsharkfan

Jun 10, 2004
His bro was the better talent. It remains to be seen if Tye is the more intelligent and likely more effective one.

There are three brothers. Tye is the middles brother and the lowest drafted (3rd round) Jaime and Brock were both 2nd rounders. Brock was sent back to Juniors. This could turn out to be a good move that cost us no one. He isn't afraid to shoot or hit.

Last edited:

Coy

Feb 25, 2014
SF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad