Confirmed with Link: Sharks to open season on the road in LA

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I don't really care that the Sharks have to watch the banner. I think they will be in the locker room anyway, so it doesn't really make much of a difference. Really hate how this is a Media creation and "oh nooos, the Sharks are being 'trolled'." In the end, it's the first game of the season that will have 82 games. Good to get one against the Kings out of the way early, considering there will be 5 left. Hopefully they end the season against the Kings and not the Coyotes, which always seems to be the case.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
My gut reaction was "this sucks," but who cares, I will DVR the game, not watching until it's 10 minutes in, so I can FF through the crap.

More disappointed that it seems etched in stone, if you believe the pundits, that the Sharks will host the Kings in the Consolation Classic. They are already our div opp, likely to always be a 1st or 2nd round matchup, our little taste of consolation media buzz, IMHO, shouldn't involve them. If that is made official today, that's worse than opening in LA.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
My gut reaction was "this sucks," but who cares, I will DVR the game, not watching until it's 10 minutes in, so I can FF through the crap.

More disappointed that it seems etched in stone, if you believe the pundits, that the Sharks will host the Kings in the Consolation Classic. They are already our div opp, likely to always be a 1st or 2nd round matchup, our little taste of consolation media buzz, IMHO, shouldn't involve them. If that is made official today, that's worse than opening in LA.

I wish it was either Detroit or Chicago. Really do enjoy when the Sharks play both of those teams. Also wouldn't mind Anaheim.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
I wish it was either Detroit or Chicago. Really do enjoy when the Sharks play both of those teams. Also wouldn't mind Anaheim.

I made the case in the other thread. If the NHL really wants to grow interest in the league, and operates from the premise that BOS/PHI/NYR/DET/PIT/WSH/CHI gets you monster ratings, then you use those teams to play against other teams in showcase games to build ratings league-wide rather than just games between those teams. Just having CHI @ WSH for the WC insures a decent rating, but doesn't help grow the game, for example. Taking one of those seven and having them play someone else in an outdoor game might have a ratings slip compared to CHI/WSH, but it's the right move for a long term play. What does not help the league is to take two "other" teams (like Kings/Sharks) and throw them together into a showcase game, because the rest of the league doesn't care. For some reason the NHL wants to give up on people all over US/Canada having an interest in the league as a whole, and just wants to be regionalized. The playoff format is an extension of that. IMHO, that's not a smart move. Certainly not ambitious.

As far as the NHL is concerned, Wings at Sharks has much more history than Kings at Sharks and has league-wide interest (although you can argue the whole league just wants another reason to laugh at us by having an outdoor game where the broadcast will show, ad nauseum, "highlights" from this past playoff series). It's a game that could get you huge ratings too.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
You know if they really want to do this to us, they may as well go all in. Shark home and away openers against the Kings and Shark home and away closers versus the Kings. I'd be okay with that.

tahoesharksfan

Old-Timer
Apr 29, 2014
The Lake
Whatever happens to our roster between now and then, anyone returning should be made to stand out on the ice and watch the whole *** event just so they don't forget what happened!!

fRESH88

Sep 26, 2011
if the sharks werent hungry before, they better be now. they better have burned this past season into every wall in the locker room.

LeeIFBB

Crossing the Rubicon
Sep 30, 2011
Tanning Bed
It's actually a reverse troll job by the Sharks since the NHL is under the impression this team cares when it is pretty clear they do not.

Kevy D

Sep 29, 2009
Moon Base
I only hope that the best has yet to come. It's pretty hilarious how the SJ is getting trolled out of their window of contention and the season hasn't even started. Looking forward to watching this game, banner raising and all. The spectacle that is San Jose Sharks is going to be entertaining this upcoming season.

What I really mean is Raffi Torres is going to get suspended opening night.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I only hope that the best has yet to come. It's pretty hilarious how the SJ is getting trolled out of their window of contention and the season hasn't even started. Looking forward to watching this game, banner raising and all. The spectacle that is San Jose Sharks is going to be entertaining this upcoming season.

What I really mean is Raffi Torres is going to get suspended opening night.

Suspended for life by accidentally touching Doughty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad