Prospect Info: Sharks summer development camp 7/4-7/6

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Your right, it was Cardwell, they got it wrong. They also announced the last Team Teal goal wrongly as Halttunens.

While there were a lot of good performances, the guy that impressed me the most was Cam Lund (and I swear I was going to write that before i saw his goal which was just the cherry on top).

His passing and decision-making where spot on, lots of subtle plays to create space for his linemates in transation or the o-zone, not one bad play.
Thank you for checking and making me feel a little less crazy :laugh:

But really, it was a hell of a pass by Cardwell so the young man deserves some serious props for it. Oh and yeah, I thought Lund was impressive as well. That's going to help me remember to not underrate him in our prospect rankings.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Cagnoni was awesome. Calm with the puck and without. Reading the play in front of him, tries to get in lanes early, take up space despite his size. Really enjoyed his skating. Such a steal at 123 if he can continue making good decisions and provide offensive spark.

Musty thrived in this system in a big way. Lots of rushes, one-on-ones that allowed him to showcase his skill. Sneaky good shot. His confidence was electric.

Smith was overhandling a ton in the beginning, but then settled in. He really loves to control the pace of the game and for a bit he couldn't. He was also a bit passive on the backcheck. Could steal way more pucks if he put his mind to it. Feels like he's waiting for the puck to get back to him to spring the attack.

Chrona is solid.

Jacobsson had a few good possession plays. Keeps hold of the puck and waits for help. Very Swedish looking player.

Svoboda looked engaged, stole a couple pucks, then had that sweet tip. Interesting project.

Cagnoni-Pohlkamp felt like the best pairing with Furlong and Havelid as a close second. Furlong likes to stop up at the d-zone blueline and try to kill transitions. Reads the play defensively really well. Havelid and Pohlkamp to me seem very similar. RHD, great shots, like to rush the puck, active and engaged defensively, similar size. Will be interesting to see how they pan out.

Cardwell had a great pass to spring Musty for his first goal. Waited for the defender to lunge then slipped under him, great pass. Was engaged with Musty all night.

Ozzy did Ozzy things. Energetic, in your face. Overhandled a ton. One play he made six dekes, lost the puck, went to a teammate, who then gave it back, and he immediately turned it over again.

Fisher was a little underwhelming. Very slow decisions with the puck offensively.

Anyways, typical disclosures of it's one game, it's a weird format prospect game, it's July, etc.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
do we attribute these picks to Grier or dWjr?

since Grier was hired about a week before the draft (however he previously was in the draft room for the Rangers so im sure he has his own notes on prospects)

My guess would be that DWJr gave bullet points of their favorite prospects - both in their position and generally - and Grier made the decision with their advise in mind. Bystedt and Lund feel veeeery Griery.

Also, that trade back was such a ballsy move for a GM in his first week on the job. I like that about Grier, he’s got his vision and he’s going for it, even if it may ruffle feathers. Hopefully it works out but so far, I’m quite happy with him. We’ll see how he does building back up once we get there.

sharks_dynasty

Oct 25, 2006
San Jose, CA
Standouts for me:

Musty - the kid is a player. Nose for the net, competitive and plays with a chip on his shoulder

Havelid and Bysted - both smooth skaters with poise and awareness. Make room for others on the ice with solid and reliable plays.

Smith - seemed exerted and was trying extra hard. Definitely has Eklund type of skill. Smooth skater, always in the right spot and wants the puck on his stick.

Svoboda and Hattunen - both were noticeable in a positive way. Hattunen was floating a bit, but also made a few promising plays that made me check the number on the back of his Jersey.

Cardwell - I love his spunk. He has way more polish than previous years and seems to bring a sandpaper and forecheck game similar to a Nico Sturm.

Overall, I was impressed with the level of talent we have collected. We are turning a corner and the future definitely looks bright.

NiWa

Nov 27, 2003
Ireland
Outside of the goalscorers, I am with everyone that Lund looked good with some setups and Cardwell both ways. Echo what has been said, he could be a great addition to the Sharks bottom six one day.

On defense I also really liked Cagnoni. For one he played the 1 on 2 well to give Ernst a chance. His positioning everywhere seemed so effortless with his smooth skating. Always in the right spot and available. Felt like he would have no trouble playing at a higher pace.

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020
uh-oh, rift in locker room

I know I'm getting ahead of myself but to me this video shows that the new guys are already bringing some personality to the locker room. It's amazing that they could both be part of the leadership in the future.
Love it.

This is probably just me but Musty's hair, size and personality reminds me of Thornton in his draft year in '97. Also Happy Birthday to Musty, it's crazy that this kid just turned 18 and is already taking the lead.
I could see a scenario where after like 4-5 years in a redrafting Smith and Musty are both in top 10.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019

People have been asking a lot about why Musty fell, and this video reaction to the draft is the only thing I found talking about it. It sounds like he had mono for the first half of the season and looked visibly sluggish, then people just kind of forgot about him after that.

Of course that really just makes it even more ridiculous that he put up identical draft year production to guys like Shane Wright, while suffering from mono for half the season...

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Not trying to be the pronunciation police here for everyone but this is driving me nuts …It’s Misty …Not Musty..

btw, I’m ultra impressed with the overall camaraderie of these guys. Our entire prospect pool. These guys have tons of personality and they genuinely like each other.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
I do want to focus a bit more on Luca Cagnoni. This kid looked like Elvis Stoyko. His edgework was incredible. His vision is so good.
A lot of people overlooked Cam Lund. He’s got it. That shot of his is wow. He also controls the puck and distributes the puck very nicely.
Havelid is smooth. It’s calming to watch him skate.
Alex Young, as some have said, he’s grown in many ways and will be a Shark.
The goalies cover a lot of net and that’s a good thing.
Good stuff.
Thanks to those who do better reviews than me.

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
having lived in Thailand for like a decade now, I find the smell of durian actually quite pleasing. I used to get the hot garbage smell, but now it smells sweet. Plus it's durian season now, the smell is everywhere
There's a dessert cafe about two blocks from me. When the wind is right, or if I happen to be walking by, I catch a whiff and throw up in my mouth a bit... I detect a foot type smell from mango, so durian is just off the charts for me.

Reactions: Sandisfan

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Haltunnen looked pretty good too. He made a play late in the game in the offensive zone and showed a flash of what he’s capable of. Made a slick play and went around the d man and took it right to the net for a scoring chance. Chrona, the tryout goalie and Beaupit were pretty good too. I personally think Chrona has future #1 written all over him. As someone else mentioned, Svoboda showed some pretty slick handles with the puck and 2 way play. Now that kid is a project that could potentially yield some studly fruits.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
Even if you attribute the picks to DWjr, Grier is the one who traded down, so you have to give him props for that.
I think that draft is more Burke than anyone else. Something tells me DW jr lost a lot of power in picks after DW was let go, probably another reason why he left shortly after. His picks were probably not favored. Grier knew burke already so wouldn't surprise me if he gave him the final say.

Purely speculation though

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
I’m very interested in how Havelid has looked during camp. I’ve seen some people say he’s looked smooth and calm, but I need more. How would he project as of now?
He’s looking confident. I think he’s going to need to get bigger. He’ll probably get AHL time to do that. There are others above him. He’ll get his chance, especially if he pushes others.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I’m very interested in how Havelid has looked during camp. I’ve seen some people say he’s looked smooth and calm, but I need more. How would he project as of now?
He’ll need some more time, I think another SHL season at least if not two, but I think he could end up a good #4 puck-moving D who doesn’t need to be aggressively sheltered defensively. Obviously a lot will depend on the playstyle of our eventual (hopefully drafted) #1D, but I could see Havelid having success paired with a guy like Thrun on a pairing.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
He’ll need some more time, I think another SHL season at least if not two, but I think he could end up a good #4 puck-moving D who doesn’t need to be aggressively sheltered defensively. Obviously a lot will depend on the playstyle of our eventual (hopefully drafted) #1D, but I could see Havelid having success paired with a guy like Thrun on a pairing.
Right now, I'm thinking we have five prospects with realistic second-pairing ceilings: Thrun, Mukhamadullin, Laroque, Hävelid, and Furlong. I either don't know enough about anyone else or don't think they have that kind of upside (which is obviously not to be taken with anything save a lot of salt - of course I'm going to be wrong about things).

If we can get two hits out of those five, that'd go a long way to fixing our defensive depth. Still need a legitimate #1, though, and I don't think we have anyone likely to be that.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Right now, I'm thinking we have five prospects with realistic second-pairing ceilings: Thrun, Mukhamadullin, Laroque, Hävelid, and Furlong. I either don't know enough about anyone else or don't think they have that kind of upside (which is obviously not to be taken with anything save a lot of salt - of course I'm going to be wrong about things).

If we can get two hits out of those five, that'd go a long way to fixing our defensive depth. Still need a legitimate #1, though, and I don't think we have anyone likely to be that.
I’d put Cagnoni there and remove Furlong, otherwise I agree about second pairing upside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad