Prospect Info: Sharks summer development camp 7/4-7/6

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
I remember Grier mentioned Smith's work ethic, character as a big selling point. He seems like someone who works hard to always improve. Should help to overcome whatever deficiencies he has, like how Pavs was constantly putting in the extra work.

Side note. One thing I like about Marleau in the development role is that Patty always had great conditioning. Legs like tree trunks and a good long career. Hopefully that shows the kids the right way to train and maintain.
I liked how Smith was pissed at himself when he came down the right and put it right in the chest of the netminder, then slammed his stick against the glass just a little. His skill levels are just off the charts, which is kind of thrilling to see. There will obviously be kinks to iron out as he progresses, and another gear to his skating would be nice, but he's clearly got the "it factor."

Musty was super impressive, obviously. He just looks like a goal scorer with a great shot (I don't know if it's the hardest or not but he knows how to place it). It'll get tougher as he has less time and opportunity but what we saw here was very promising.

It's a little tougher to rate some of the guys like Havelid or Wiesblatt who have been playing against men regularly, because they're already accustomed to a level above this. But there were a lot of nice aspects to see from a number of players. I even liked Halttunen, even though he looked a bit rusty and needs a bit more giddy-up. The puck and the action just seemed to find him, which to me is a good sign--one that says he knows how to get himself involved.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
The future has gone from complete darkness to a smidge of light peaking deep in the distance.

One more top 3 pick, one more top 30 that hits and things are going to turn around quickly. They will need a lot more to be truly competitive but the scrimmage looked to have more than one actual NHL player 😂

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
The future has gone from complete darkness to a smidge of light peaking deep in the distance.

One more top 3 pick, one more top 30 that hits and things are going to turn around quickly. They will need a lot more to be truly competitive but the scrimmage looked to have more than one actual NHL player 😂

Hopefully we can snag a few more prospects/picks in the Karlsson/possible other trades (Duclair, etc) to keep adding to the group, yeah.

The skill this group has is significantly
higher than last year’s group.

knu

Feb 28, 2012
Fremont CA
My notes from being there on the glass :

Ozzy played with confidence and bite. He was having fun and looked like the best player out there.
Musty has a good shot and good eye. Great offensive player. His skating though, a couple times I noticeably was like, oof this seems like a weakness.
Bystedt really cool creative mind, there were a couple plays where he was communicating with his line and setting up cool situations.
Lund has a nasty shot.
Smith looked good but I wish he took control more.
Cagnoni is a veryyyy good skater.
Spitserov was the secret MVP in my opinion. Kid was fast and skated hard every shift. Super underrated.
Chrona seems good. So calm and plays so big.
Romanov was my favorite. during the shootout he would make a save and interact with some of the boys in our section. Dude was having so much fun. Great to see.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
His skating stride is awkward but his speed and agility are really not bad.

And his instincts are very good. Once he passes the puck, boom moves his feet and he's headed straight to the net with his stick down ahead of everyone else.

Little things that goal-scorers need to do at the next level.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
And his instincts are very good. Once he passes the puck, boom moves his feet and he's headed straight to the net with his stick down ahead of everyone else.

Little things that goal-scorers need to do at the next level.
Agree, but my comment was more directed at skating not really being an apparent weakness which is why he fell in the draft. He didn’t get caught from behind on his penalty shot while Halttunen (?) did.

wishman

Jan 20, 2007
I was very impressed with Kasper Halttunen as well. Obviously skating and stamina is a big issue, but great hands and uses body well. He had a good motor for the 1st half of his shifts, but then would tired out. And of course got caught by the whole team on his modified shootout. :)

If he can make improvements with skating, I think he has tremendous potential.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I'm shocked no one picked durian.

Hard pointy outer shell, stinky interior like a hockey glove which is a natural defense like a hockey glove...
having lived in Thailand for like a decade now, I find the smell of durian actually quite pleasing. I used to get the hot garbage smell, but now it smells sweet. Plus it's durian season now, the smell is everywhere

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
I could have sworn that was 56, Cardwell, a RH shot making that breakout pass to Musty, but the evidence doesn't seem to support that, lol.

Your right, it was Cardwell, they got it wrong. They also announced the last Team Teal goal wrongly as Halttunens.

While there were a lot of good performances, the guy that impressed me the most was Cam Lund (and I swear I was going to write that before i saw his goal which was just the cherry on top).

His passing and decision-making where spot on, lots of subtle plays to create space for his linemates in transation or the o-zone, not one bad play.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Your right, it was Cardwell, they got it wrong. They also announced the last Team Teal goal wrongly as Halttunens.

While there were a lot of good performances, the guy that impressed me the most was Cam Lund (and I swear I was going to write that before i saw his goal which was just the cherry on top).

His passing and decision-making where spot on, lots of subtle plays to create space for his linemates in transation or the o-zone, not one bad play.

If Lund, Bystedt and Havelid all pan out, Grier’s first draft would be an insane success.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
do we attribute these picks to Grier or dWjr?

since Grier was hired about a week before the draft (however he previously was in the draft room for the Rangers so im sure he has his own notes on prospects)
Even if you attribute the picks to DWjr, Grier is the one who traded down, so you have to give him props for that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad